Getting to Bali from the East Coast of the US

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Assumption is a risky business in a public forum.
I came across a post recently in SB when the OP did not has a outbound ticket from Philippines. He/she had to buy a single outbound ticket on the spot instead of being denied to board the flight to Philippines.
You would had thought people should be aware of that!

I just did Bali so somewhat aware of the jet lag issues. For some reason the return hit me harder than the flight out.

To get to Lembeh I have 3 options…

Option 1, book it all through Qatar Airways with 4.5 hour through Jakarta with Garuda operating the final leg (booked through Qatar Airway). Cheapest but more connections.

Option 2, book Singapore Airlines with Scoot included with transit through Singapore without having to recheck luggage. Most expensive but quickest and easiest transit.

Option 3, book Singapore Airlines and Scoot separately. More economical than combining with the Singapore Airline ticket but will have to collect and recheck luggage.

I have never booked international tickets/transits separately so the process of arrival, baggage claim and check in for connecting flight is very confusing for me. And very intimidating.

I just did Bali so somewhat aware of the jet lag issues. For some reason the return hit me harder than the flight out.

Option 1, book it all through Qatar Airways with 4.5 hour through Jakarta with Garuda operating the final leg (booked through Qatar Airway). Cheapest but more connections.

Option 2, book Singapore Airlines with Scoot included with transit through Singapore without having to recheck luggage. Most expensive but quickest and easiest transit.

Option 3, book Singapore Airlines and Scoot separately. More economical than combining with the Singapore Airline ticket but will have to collect and recheck luggage.

I have never booked international tickets/transits separately so the process of arrival, baggage claim and check in for connecting flight is very confusing for me. And very intimidating.
@uncfnp

This looks pretty straightforward... I would be looking at option 2 or option 3.

Changi airport has been named the best airport in the world 12 times since 2000, and most recently in 2023. Transiting SIngapore (even with rechecking the bags) this is simple. Singapore makes Bali look like chaos.

If saving the money by booking separately is worth the consideration, don't stress the transit, it's not hard at all.

As an aside, we usually end up spending at least one night in Singapore on our trips to Indonesia (including to Lembeh this last summer). We do this because of the TZ change - but also to make sure our bags make it... We're never concerned about the bags when we travel from Singapore to Indonesia (the aiport is very efficient), so our main concerns are making sure the bags get to Singapore. By rechecking your bags in Singapore you'll at least have had eyes on them for your last leg (although sticking an AirTag in your bags provides a similar level of comfort).

Definitely Option 3 with a night or two in Singapore for visiting and catching up on time changes.

For option 2 or 3 I have to book the flight from Raleigh to JFK myself and will have about 8 to 10 hours hanging around for the 11:30 pm flight to Singapore so to be honest the idea of a faster transit through Singapore with a night in MDC or Lembeh to acclimate before we start diving seems to appeal to me more. It is tough for me to rest when I have another flight waiting.

I am a stressed and anxious traveler.

For option 2 or 3 I have to book the flight from Raleigh to JFK myself and will have about 8 to 10 hours hanging around for the 11:30 pm flight to Singapore so to be honest the idea of a faster transit through Singapore with a night in MDC or Lembeh to acclimate before we start diving seems to appeal to me more. It is tough for me to rest when I have another flight waiting.

I am a stressed and anxious traveler.
@uncfnp

A night in MDC isn't a great option. You are so close to Lembeh that you're better off just finishing off the car ride (and possibly a very short boat ride) and catching up on sleep at the resort.

Get into Lembeh (it will be afteroon by the time you get there). Eat, rest, and decide if you are going to do the 2 morning dives the next day or start with a first dive the next afternoon. All Lembeh resorts have similar dive schedules, and are all flexible on when you start diving with them. Some even do single tank dives in the morning, so you could skip the first morning dive and do the second.

You mentioned you are on the ~11:30 flight out of JFK. I'm assuming this means you are on the direct flight to SIngapore. You will make the connection easily... (likely with an hour+ to spare before even boarding.

Singapore's Changi airport makes travel easy - don't stress about this.

To avoid hijacking this thread I have posted my followup here in my original thread. Looks like the choice maybe Qatar based on simple logistics.

I have been doing Jakarta to Florida or Indiana via NYC, Chicago, or Dallas, usually twice a year, for over fifteen years. I am a high school teacher so my budget is far from unlimited. I feel I have a pretty good grasp on the situation...

Qatar Air is pretty awesome. Its economy is maybe the best in the game, and considering the price versus Singapore Air, it isn't even close. The Doha Airport is world-class- easily in the top 5, although nothing rivals Changi. I would not hesitate booking Qatar Air to Jakarta and onward, especially if that puts your mind most at ease. Pro tip: If you are considering Singapore Air to Manado, you might find a Qatar Business Class ticket at pretty much the same price point. If you can get that with a nice long layover in Doha (amazing lounge, great food, a nice hot shower), you will be a very happy traveler. This summer via American's website, I found round trip tickets from Jakarta to Indianapolis in business class Q Suites for $2350. It was glorious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom