thick gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got any zebra mussels where you're at?
Here are some 5 mm 3-finger mitts that'll keep ya toasty: http://comdive.com/endurotech.htm

The mitts will give you much better dexterity than gloves, having way less material going into tension & compression on the sides of the fingers.

I just tested out my new dry gloves on the weekend. Great - hands are toasty warm - even in 50 degree water for 45 minutes. With my wet mitts, my hands were so numb I couldn't even press my own air valve by the end of a dive! This could be a safety hazard!

I call my gloves the Home Depot Special. I put the system together from plumbing supplies from Home Depot for well under $20. I used 3-inch black PVC pipe, cut into 1-1/2 inch rings. My hands are very small - most people will need the 4-inch pipe. This ring goes on the inside of my latex cuff. I bought black 14-inch long latex gloves, extra large size, at a janitorial supply store for $2.75 each - that's six pairs for under $20. The outer ring is a plumbing part called a flex coupling. Buy either 3 or 4 inch, depending on the size of PVC pipe you use. One of these rubber couplings is all you need because you cut it in half. A little bit of sand paper cleans the rings up nicely.

So, PVC ring goes inside the latex cuff. Glove goes over the cuff and the inner ring. Flex coupling goes over the ring/cuff/glove. Voila, dry glove. Works great. My brother paid $120 for his ring system two years ago, and it's pretty much the same thing. As the plumbing parts are black, and the gloves I bought are black, and my suit is red and black, the whole thing even looks right purdy. :wink:

PM me if you want more info. I know of an LDS that is selling this system in Vancouver, if you don't feel "handy". Don't know if it would work with neoprene seals, though.

Diving Copncepts gloves from Chris at COVCI. I was the first person to get a pair from him. Easy to install and remove, and equalize real good.

Shadow, hehe when I first laid eyes on these gloves I thought to myself, "I could make these".

Aquatec... As someone stated above, the Diving concepts site is a great source on how to install the gloves.

Tip!... Install the rings all the way in the seal where the latex seal is glued to the suit material. If you don't the water pressure will compress the seal behind the ring and won't allow for air equalization.

Lawman. Since your diving wet, I would get a pair of drygloves with their own attatched latex seal. They are a pain to put on, but they work pretty good.

Dave

I use a pair of 5mm Scubapro Hyperstretch gloves that are great,I used to have the worst time with clips and my inflator hose, even putting my mask on with gloves on, but these aren't as bulky and very bendy....they are also a semi-dry glove and I have never had problems with them.:thumb:

Lawman once bubbled...
7 mil gloves-question

... I stay warm in a 7mil wetsuit.

Hi Lawman-

As far as I know, in order to use dry-gloves, you have to be using a drysuit. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, though!) Since you are diving a wetsuit, adding drygloves means adding a drysuit, which tends to be very expensive (although worth it IMO, if you have the money!)

If you can't find the military/hunting style gloves with a way to pull the fingers back, you might consider wearing two pairs of gloves. Try wearing a thin pair underneath that fits snugly, and buy a larger pair of thicker gloves to go over them. Pull off the thicker gloves as needed to do tasks requiring better finger-control, and then put them back on when you're done. I know it's not ideal, but it's a lot cheaper than buying a drysuit and drygloves!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom