Gloves for cold(ish)- How thick?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoundForElsewhere

Snarkmeister
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Thick gloves are a pain to deal with so I'm trying to figure out the thinnest I can go for local diving here around NYC. Assuming a depth of 90' with a water temp of 45 degrees F, max bottom time of 12 minutes and surface temp of 72 (gradient increases during ascent), what would be the thinnest glove you would recommend? I am very warm blooded and don't wear a wetsuit until the water temp is around 74F. I've worn 5mm gloves at that temperature for an hour bottom time and my fingers were a little cold but not too bad.

I guess I just answered my own question, didn't I? Oh well, I typed all this so I'm posting it anyway.

Pullover dry glove with liner and drysuit.

Depends on how early into the season you want to dive. mid-late season (August-October/early November) you’ll probably(?) be ok with 3mm gloves. Otherwise you probably want 5mm gloves. Personally I use dry gloves year round as I find the dexterity and thermal insulation much better.

If you have the 5mm then dive them. I would try a 3mm and see how you feel at the end. Worst case scenario is you have cold fingers and doffing gear is a pita. Best case is you now have better dexterity under water. I dive 5mm in Puget Sound and am thinking of 3mm for dexterity. I keep a thermos of hot water so the SI isn't a concern.

Sorry, I meant 3/5 mm, not 5/7 mm. Might as well wear mittens if you’re gonna wear 7mm. IMO dry gloves are the way to go.

(I corrected my post above)

I should just suck it up and get a Seaskin and get dry gloves. I gave away my 5mm gloves because I felt like the Mickey character at Disney.

I should just suck it up and get a Seaskin and get dry gloves. I gave away my 5mm gloves because I felt like the Mickey character at Disney.
That is every dive for me but the only way to keep warm fingers in sub 50 water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom