Info The "Ultimate" wing lift calculator :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi guys,

Does anyone have the excel sheet in their email?

If so, please PM me and I'll share my email. Can't seem to be able to download them off the OP.

Or maybe upload it to dropbox and add it here?

Thanks!
C

Hi had a look at the sheet and have a question, what is the reasoning for the fixed "14" in cell Y23? This is the test for "Balanced at 60ft".
Thanks

i was wondering this too. why is a 14 pound rig at 60 feet considered a balanced rig?

I've just started working with this spreadsheet (as found in post #82, The "Ultimate" wing lift calculator :)) and I have some questions.

- What are cells C3, E3, G3, and K3 for? They say "Catalina 80", "Gas?", "BC?", and "Suit?". I think they are just there for me to enter the specifics of my setup into, so I can save off different setups and refer back to them easily. But, in that case, what is "Gas?" for? Do I enter something like Air or EAN32 or something? Why? What difference does that make to the context of this spreadsheet?

- The sheet appears to calculate based on a max planned depth of 66 feet. And if I want to change that, I have to unprotect the sheet and then change the formula in cell E38 to multiply by something other than 0.33. Is that correct, or is there some other way to change the max depth calculation?

- I'm okay with assuming 50%, 33%, 25% for 10m, 20m, 30m. Any suggestion on a factor to use for 40m? 20%?

- The result table has columns for depth1 and depth2. I have inferred that those are the values for initial arrival at planned depth (i.e. 66 feet) and at the end of the dive, at the same depth, when starting to ascend. Correct?

I saw this post and if it is my modifcation to the spreadsheet then as I remember I put a factor for over filling a tank. so you can show you have a over or under fill by either the psi or cu ft. I don't remember. Probably used cuft. I have to get the sheet and the link does not get me to it. I attempted to say that IE an lp95 is -1 empty but the full value is not so simple as to assume the 2640 fill. so if I put 3000 in the tank then I have 108 in the tank and I calculated the weight for that gas to derive the full tank value based on 8# per 100 cuft.

I saw this post and if it is my modifcation to the spreadsheet then as I remember I put a factor for over filling a tank. so you can show you have a over or under fill by either the psi or cu ft. I don't remember. Probably used cuft. I have to get the sheet and the link does not get me to it. I attempted to say that IE an lp95 is -1 empty but the full value is not so simple as to assume the 2640 fill. so if I put 3000 in the tank then I have 108 in the tank and I calculated the weight for that gas to derive the full tank value based on 8# per 100 cuft.

If someone can send me the latest version of the spreadsheet, I'd be happy to try and translate that to a webpage. I'll open source the calculations too so that anyone can modify it in future.

Good catch. This thread may be a better option:

Here is another thought on replacing this outdated sticky. How about a new thread by The Mod Squad (so it can be freely updated by mods), that lists recommended links relating to Buoyancy Compensators (BC's) & Weight Systems? Think of this thread as an example:

Certainly a link to @rsingler's Optimal Buoyancy Computer would be at the top of the list plus the other sticky threads in the forum. Can you think of other related threads in or out of the Buoyancy Compensators (BC's) & Weight Systems forum? Examples:
  • DIY backplates?
  • DIY harnesses?
  • Freedom Plate links?
  • BC maintenance & repair?
  • History threads on BCs?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom