Wing Lift - Cold water, 8/7 semi-dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luggage scale -- exactly. Measure with and without the suit/boots/gloves and subtract. (Lead bricks are often not what is labeled, so measuring twice will take care of any such inconsistencies.)

Looking at the sheet again, you're probably only going to lose about 1.5 lbs off the bottom line buoyancy you already have set. It's probably giving you good enough numbers to make your decision.

Looking at the sheet again, you're probably only going to lose about 1.5 lbs off the bottom line buoyancy you already have set. It's probably giving you good enough numbers to make your decision.

I can't find my luggage scale, but 2 lbs juuuust sank my boots + gloves, which shaves a bit off the estimate.

Overall, it looks like 30 lbs is good even in the worse case (start of dive) as long as I am properly weighted and I don't go much deeper than 100'.

I should obviously be cautious & do some testing in the water as reality may be different.

Yeah, sounds like you're pretty set at this point, at least wrt demonstrating that the wing should be OK to use. I'm glad you did that test, sounds like it helped. The swim test where you simulate a wing failure is really illuminating as well. If you can't swim up a failed rig, it really makes you re-think the safety of thick wetsuits. That being said, if you're a good swimmer, I think you'll find that it is challenging but doable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom