Info The "Ultimate" wing lift calculator :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've just started working with this spreadsheet (as found in post #82, http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...imate-wing-lift-calculator-9.html#post5736421) and I have some questions.

- What are cells C3, E3, G3, and K3 for? They say "Catalina 80", "Gas?", "BC?", and "Suit?". I think they are just there for me to enter the specifics of my setup into, so I can save off different setups and refer back to them easily. But, in that case, what is "Gas?" for? Do I enter something like Air or EAN32 or something? Why? What difference does that make to the context of this spreadsheet?

- The sheet appears to calculate based on a max planned depth of 66 feet. And if I want to change that, I have to unprotect the sheet and then change the formula in cell E38 to multiply by something other than 0.33. Is that correct, or is there some other way to change the max depth calculation?

- I'm okay with assuming 50%, 33%, 25% for 10m, 20m, 30m. Any suggestion on a factor to use for 40m? 20%?

- The result table has columns for depth1 and depth2. I have inferred that those are the values for initial arrival at planned depth (i.e. 66 feet) and at the end of the dive, at the same depth, when starting to ascend. Correct?

Helium is lighter than air so I would assume it refers to that. The rest do not seem to be linked to anything.

Looking at the factors they seem to be 1/ATA, so at 33 ft it is 1/2=50% at 132 feet it would be 1/5 or 20%. I assume these factors relate to the percentage of buoyancy left at depth.

Helium is lighter than air so I would assume it refers to that. The rest do not seem to be linked to anything.

Looking at the factors they seem to be 1/ATA, so at 33 ft it is 1/2=50% at 132 feet it would be 1/5 or 20%. I assume these factors relate to the percentage of buoyancy left at depth.

Helium. Gotcha. Didn't think about that.

I understand about the compression of the suit and loss of buoyancy. I really just want to know if I'm supposed to unprotect the worksheet and change the formula in that one cell to reflect a plan for a deeper depth than 66', or if there is something I missing and a different way to change the max depth it is using for its calculations.

I am not the brightest bulb and I am using this calculator for the first time. I see that it is a wing lift calculator but I am also interested in the ditchable weight calculation as well. From the buoyancy hints.

"Women should add 4-5 lbs (about 2 kg) if moving to salt water, or subtract 4-5 lbs (about 2 kg) if moving to fresh water. Men should add 6-7 lbs (about 3 kg) if moving to salt water, or subtract 6-7 lbs (about 3 kg) if moving to fresh water."

Does this mean that you take the ditchable weight value that the calculator gives you and add or subtract depending on fresh or salt water? In other words, is the ditchable weight value given by the calculator a generic value or is it the value for fresh water or salt water?

Last edited:
Exposure protection, If I am diving with a bathing suit and rashy..... How should I go about making this calculation? I am 6'1 230 (buoyant weight).

Just got done entering my info into the ss and it says basically that I am way too heavy. But I think that is because I am not calculating for my body buoyancy.

Darn, I'm really stumbled by the calculator (ver3)

The wetsuit buoyancy hint is giving me the correct amount of weights that I wear based on 10% body weight & suits.

But the ditchable weight result I get on the calculator is far less than I had to wear to sink. Perhaps I'm entering some things wrong.

For starter, would a 7mm single layer suit be entered as 21-22 (positive) in the cell?

Hi had a look at the sheet and have a question, what is the reasoning for the fixed "14" in cell Y23? This is the test for "Balanced at 60ft".
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom