The thing that has surprised me most about diving!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kriterian:
You're kidding? Is this true or are you pulling my flipper?
It's true. The healthier the reef, the louder the noise. Swimming over sand is very quiet. There is an artificial reef here that we do as beach dives. Since it is perpendicular to the shore, it can be hit or miss. I use the "rice krispies" to help me locate it.

I am told the noise is the crabs. Could be, I don't know. I just know I am glad I don't have to wear a hood now since the water is warming and I am again able to hear the rice krispies.

That makes more sense. When I wrote that I was still half asleep.. thanks.

Scuba_Jenny:
That makes more sense. When I wrote that I was still half asleep.. thanks.
Depending on your location, different types of shrimp can make that popping sound (and lots of them in unison create that crackling popcorn popping effect) by snapping a claw so quickly that it shoots out a little jet of water, reducing the water pressure sufficiently in that exact spot to form a tiny little bubble; the collapse of the bubble produces the popping sound. That process is another underwater example of cavitation. I have seen video that was supposed to show that they use this sudden pop with the claw to stun other little critters that they intend to eat. I have also heard that they use it to communicate (e.g., maybe telling each other to back off), but I have no idea if that is true.

There are a lot of other underwater noises that often go unnoticed because they are drowned out by bubbles.

My biggest surprise was that I actually got cold in 80 deg water after diving in it all day and feeling fine. Also suprised by how little my lifes possesions mean to me now. Before, I worked to gain more, now I work to go somewhere without comforts just so I can dive.

What surprised me is that in addition to all of the "big" stuff going on on a reef at any one time, there is so much "small" stuff that you miss unless you stop and observe a single coral head or piece of coral. There are so many small fish, shrimp, and other invertebrates all interacting on that level it amazes me. The other thing that surprised me is how often I have to pee down there. Good thing I wear a shortie.

I hope my big surprise goes away. It simply amazes me that most divers that I know won't say anything to someone to help them out..trim, stashing something, etc. If it is life threatening or just plain unsafe, yes they will say something.

What surprises me is how many new divers don't take the time to practice the basics (buoyancy, body position, etc.) before wanting to move on and add another complex skill with their diving too soon. Such as wanting to do underwater photography while enrolled in a course such as AOW.

I'm surprised at how much I can learn just Internet Diving.

When my body can't be there at least my mind and soul can.

What surprises me the most is how much I'm spending on it. When I took up diving, I sold my Mustang and stopped buying Home Theater stuff thinking that scuba would be much cheaper and enjoyable (read - get the wife off my back about spending money).

Since then, I seem to be having just as much fun, but it doesn't seem to be any cheaper than the other hobbies were. :D

Back
Top Bottom