The thing that has surprised me most about diving!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What surprised me most about scuba diving was the first time I was in the pool with the gear. I'M BREATHING---UNDERWATER.

I'm still surprised at how rude some "experienced" divers can be towards newbies, telling them they don't know their BC from a hole in their head, instead of explaining things to them.

My first night dive was a surprise. I expected inky blackness, with only a cone of light from my flashlight showing me what was directly in front of the beam. Instead, even with the flashlight off, there can be plenty of light to see all sorts of amazing things.

where to start...
1) Why haven't they invented gills as part of cosmetice surgery.....hmm..breast job, face-lift (why isn't it called body-lowering?), nose-thingy... 'Doc, give me 5 slits on the side of my throat...plz?'

2) Why didn't i start 20 yrs ago?

3) Since this is so great...how come i don't see more divers every time i'm down there...?

reef sounds...yeah them crispies are great...out here though, we have to tell the whales and dolphins to shut up to hear the reef.... :)

My biggest surprise was how bright it was under 90 feet of sea water. I really never expected that.

The second biggest surprise was how much fun and how incredible it is to be underwater.

Wristshot

MikeFerrara:
Personally I've never had any interest in the ones who are of oposite gender artificially.

Come on Mike. We all know you better than that :07:

MikeFerrara:
Personally I've never had any interest in the ones who are of oposite gender artificially.
Never been to Phuket then?????
Tall, Long Hair, Slim, high heels, short skirt and stood next to me in the Gents toilet :11:

Wijbrandus:
The thing that has surprised me most about diving?

That Jaws really wasn't sitting out there in the murk waiting for me to turn my back.

Though I still check, just to keep him honest. :wink:

:jaws: Gotta agree with you there- I was a little worried about Jaws too.... Now, if I ever hear that Jaws music while I'm in the water..... lol

Been watching this thread with interest.

For me, the most surprising thing was how little exercise I actually get out of diving.

I should have known - you look around and there are all body types diving on the boats and beaches. I was really hoping that this would contribute to my overall exercise regimen more than it is.

Its important for me to eat well, exercise every day and remain reasonably fit. Its been a big part of my life over the last 5 years or so.

Now I look back and say, duh. I mean, diving is not like mountain biking or running a 10k or anything. But looking back, I can't remember one time over hundreds of dives of all types - flopping off a boat, swimming against heavy current, getting in and out of pounding surf, walking half a mile in full gear, all my cold water diving, climbing a big***** hill, donning, doffing... whatever - I can't remember one time when I came home sore, you know?

Of course, I just do the single tank (albeit, a huge single tank) rec / no-deco diving. I'm not schlepping around insane doubled up 130s (just one) but if I was, I'm still confident I'd not be a wreck at the end of the day.

Exercise and fitness make a huge contribution to my diving, to be sure. But diving does little to contribute to my overall fitness and exercise - and I'm doing about 100+ dives a year. Being weightless and motionless in the water, and expending as little energy as possible to propel yourself will do that! :eyebrow:

Like I said - its a "well, duh" moment. But its one of the things that really surprised me most about diving. I wanted it to be more of a workout, you know? Its a pleasent surprise.

---
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom