The term BUDDY should be PARTNER

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
wardric:
you mean like this bunch? :wink:

ymca.gif

:rofl3:

tonka97:
The term 'buddy' sucks IMO; it has an associated 'good ole boy' connotation that is sexist and demeaning. It may work with describing adolescent boys' friends, but it should end there.

Suggest beginning to use the term 'partner' and see if the 'buddy' relic can be swept into the dust bin.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/buddy

bud·dy:...
1. A good friend; a comrade.
2. A partner, especially one of a pair or team associated under the buddy system.
3. Friend or comrade; chum. Used as a form of familiar address, especially for a man or boy: Watch it, buddy.
intr.v. bud·died, bud·dy·ing, bud·dies
To associate as a buddy or buddies: buddied around with the older guys.
Phrasal Verb:
buddy up
To ingratiate oneself, as by presuming friendship: buddied up to the coach in hopes of making the team.
Da, "Comrade" works for me.:D

..as we say it up here...« .De odder guy dare ostie»..lmfao

what's the big deal?

it's a portrait of a hippie nudist or something ... oh wait... no, it's a male ballet dancer

Get bent. No really I don't mean by diving a poor profile either.

Eat some food, take some vitamins and grow a thicker skin. One of our problems today is that everybody seems to have so much time to take the time to find something so meaningless to complain about, but no time to help others and truly do something that can make our world a better place for others, and really matters (not like a term used in diving. Use the time you spend thinking up stuff like this helping with a soup kitchen, cleaning up a reef, habitat for humanity, reading to school kids, etc..

Nobody was sitting around the good-ole-buddy water cooler when they came up with the term buddy and saying "hey diving is a good-ole-buddy club and we don't like outsiders so let's call your dive partner a buddy just to aggravate them".

It is a word, it means precisely what it means "the person that you dive with". Get over it and move on.

Here is a test to take before you start out on a mission next time.

"Will this make somebody's life better"

Call them partner versus buddy ----- NO
Donate clothing ----- YES
Help build them a home -----YES
Read a story to a child -----YES

And so on.

Step, step, step. Okay, I am off my box now.

rockjock3:
.. grow a thicker skin..
Good point. There is too much where people get offended/upset about that really is trivial. Some ignore things, others respond with sarcasm or cynicism, yet others take things too seriously.

stevead:
In addition to the water safety and boy scout reference, Buddy also has a long military tradition. Every soldier in combat considers his sqaudmembers "buddies" they may or may not be "friends" he may actively dislike some of them, but when the feces hits the fan he's got their back and they've got his.

Buddy it is and buddy it should stay.

Steve, I didn't know that. Thank you!:coffee:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom