• ScubaPro

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Dacor

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Others

Votes: 18 32.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gussy

Contributor
Reaction score
After using rentals (and not caring) for a while, I'm about to purchase my own gear of BC, Reg, Mask, and Fins. I'm confused by the multitude of brands out there. Can anyone kinda explain the quality by comparing it to car brands (e.g. which is a Honda vs. Kia vs. BMW)? I figured this will be easier for my simple brain to understand!

I think I included more than Fins, Masks, & Snorket in the "Fins, Masks & Snorkels" forum instead of the main equipment forum.

You've said you have rented for a while, so, rather than us telling you what gear is better, why don't you tell us what gear you've used and what you thought of it. You know, comfort, fit, durability, etc. Then maybe someone here who has used the same gear can give you their oppinion of it.

Reason I'm saying this is that you are basically asking someone which car to buy. Everyone has their own feelings as to what is good and what is bad.

It would alos help to know what kind of diving you intend to do. You live in San Fran, but are you going to go north and dive in cold fresh water? Makes a differnece. Some regs just are not up to the task of cold and deep, but do fine in warm.

Gussy:
After using rentals (and not caring) for a while, I'm about to purchase my own gear of BC, Reg, Mask, and Fins. I'm confused by the multitude of brands out there. Can anyone kinda explain the quality by comparing it to car brands (e.g. which is a Honda vs. Kia vs. BMW)? I figured this will be easier for my simple brain to understand!

I did a lot of research on SB and at dive shops and bought my first set of gear a month ago. Get a lot of compliments on my gear choice for a newbie. But, everyone is different. That's why there are so many choices.

Here's what I ended up buying. May give you some ideas.

BP/W - many choices, all good, wings vary in size and lift

TUSA
mask - Visulator
snorkle - basic
fins - Imprex

Aqualung
reg - Legend LX
computer - Vyper (Suunto)

PST
Steel tank

I didn't think I'd get serious into diving so I never paid any attention to the equipment and just used whatever they had. I had mistakenly figured what's the big deal.

Hey Wings, thanks for the tip. I figured that you could always compared them to cars. Almost all manufacturers said that their equipment were the best, but I figured that one of those must be a Kia and another might be a Honda...or something like that. I was thinking of the Tusa fins, but I figured that the regs and BC are more critical.

Never paid attention to rented equipment. All the dives that I've done were in Southeast Asia, and Mares seem to be popular there. I'd probably do close to 85% (things could change) of my dives there, and I would be doing photography. Almost all the brands have multiple items to compete with other companies.

brianwl:
You've said you have rented for a while, so, rather than us telling you what gear is better, why don't you tell us what gear you've used and what you thought of it. You know, comfort, fit, durability, etc. Then maybe someone here who has used the same gear can give you their oppinion of it.

Reason I'm saying this is that you are basically asking someone which car to buy. Everyone has their own feelings as to what is good and what is bad.

It would alos help to know what kind of diving you intend to do. You live in San Fran, but are you going to go north and dive in cold fresh water? Makes a differnece. Some regs just are not up to the task of cold and deep, but do fine in warm.

I like the TUSA line for masks and fins. But never tried their regs. Someone on SB said TUSA is themost popular rental reg in Asia. Try one out and see how you like it.

Yes, the reg is most critical.... but a bad mask fit will - while not ruin - make your dive unpleasant.

As someone pointed out earlier, what diving do you do?
What preferences do you have, especially BCD and fins?

I would pick equipment idependently of brand as chances are that no single company will have everything that works well for you.

So here some equipment that works well for me:
BCD - Zeagle (Ranger, preferably with a smaller bladder) or DiveRite Transpack II. Obviously my preference is back bouyancy, both manufactures offer high quality and very good customer service. For a while I've been using bp/w combo (prefer the stability and lower drag), DiveRite bp and Oxycheq 45# wing. For those either DiveRite, Halcyon or Zeagle will do just fine, as will plenty of small manufactures.

Regs - Atomic B1, the B2 is the current model, they are great. I've also tried Scubapros, Apeks and DiveRites, all worked well enough.

Mask - whatever fits you face. For me Cressis do the trick. I have two, forgot the names.

Fins - I currently have Scubapro Jetfins and Apollo Split fins, and use both.
Tried Atomic Splits which work better than the Apollos but hated the buckle, as well as Force Fins Pro which worked well. They'll likely be the replacement for the Apollos soon. Used to have Mares Avanti Quattros, very good alround fins (but I don't like their buckle either).

Computer: the Hydrospace Explorer is my first choice, though expensive. Has by far the best dispay and most versatility. Displaywise, Uwatec/Scubapro is a close second, I still have an old Aladin Air that works well. As a back-up I replaced my dive watch with a DiveRite Plus. Works well, 2 Nitrox mixes and gauge mode, I just don't like to have to switch between screens. Knowing DiveRite's customer service, I'd go with a Duo instead of a Viper.

Snorkle - don't use 'em. If they are required I zip-tie one to my backplate.

I first checked the SeaQuest regs...and since the company was founded by the late Frenchman Jack C, they claim to have the best. The I checked Poseidon, who claims to have the US Navy as a customer as they have the best...supposedly. So, does that make them the BMW? How much should price factor into the equation. I like the Mares Nemo computer, but Suunto also has a nice one at the same price, and guess what...the local shop had another brand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom