The price of Helium is up in the air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GUE's InDepth magazine just published an excellent article on the current helium situation worldwide with average prices, availability and future trends:

The price of Helium is up in the air
Thanks, it was an interesting read.... in spite of the high school level of writing and analysis.

Shop near me in NJ is now $4.50 per cuft if you can get it.

Few years ago when I got back into diving I had a hard time seeing anyone on here pay more than we did for helium.

Nowadays I'm having a hard time seeing anyone paying less than we do for helium, price has gone up a little bit here over the years but at the end of the day it's pretty much the same if you look hard enough.

I was finally able to get a T bottle of helium from my local gas supplier. $364 Ouch. I was paying $251 last year. He told me not to expect another bottle for another 4-5 months although from GUE article it seems like supply will be slowly getting better.

I've started to become a little more stingy on trimix fills. No more wasting 15/55 on 120' dives.

OC trimix has had its day. All hail the rebreather!
I've been saying that for quite some time. Unfortunately, nobody wants to hear it.

I've been saying that for quite some time. Unfortunately, nobody wants to hear it.
CCR people are very happy to talk about using helium whenever they feel like it.
A deepish and longish dive would use as much as 60 litres of helium -- call it 10p/12c, then it's a mere £6/$7.20 per dive.
Plus another 120 litres of oxygen -- about 1p/1c = £1.20/$1.50.
Plus the sodalime, about £5/$6.
Plus a pee-valve catheter, about £2/$2.
And the boat fee, £60/$70.
And the diesel to drive to the boat.
And lunch. And a nice day out.
All for £100/$120.

Alas the cost of a twinset fill for a 60m/200ft dive would be ££££++ / $$$$+++. Plus all the oxygen for the deco gasses.

The best bit is this: I'm gassing up for a 65m/220ft dive on Friday. The weather's a bit marginal (after a long spell of hot weather, sorry everyone, it's my fault for booking a dive...). The alternative dive site's about 50m/165ft. I won't be changing the diluent for that. Nor would I bother changing it if we went to a 30m/100ft site. For a few quid, it just doesn't matter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom