The new MiFlex Braided hoses - Not so much...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I took the bait.

I bit the hook.

Thought I'd give it a try.

I bought a 7-footer. I've done about a 20 or so dives on it. And here's the deal:

1. Very high cool factor. Kinda neat looking.

2. Very flexy. Not that it matters, but OK.

3. TERRIBLE on the scooter. Just flaps in the breeze. I'm serious - I'm zooming along and my long hose is going boing boing boing. It is more resistant in the water, and with all that flex and low mass, combined with the higher resistance, it sux for scootering.

4. Also - I don't like my long hose being this flexy. I prefer it to be stiffer as I always know where it is, where it will land and what its going to do when / if I drop it. A standard hose is very predictable in its trajectory. With this thin, flexy hose I have no idea where to look for it when its not where its supposed to be, so I can't recover it as fast as I have to look everywhere - both in water when I butterfinger the thing or don't clip it off when I should, and when I'm gearing up on the tailgate or a on a boat bench. Its a pain.

I'll be selling it very soon and going back to a real hose.

---
Ken

Yes, I was going to purchase a set of Miflex for myself based upon what other posts said. I was at Wet Pleasure, Santa Clara on Friday and saw the new Aqua Lung Mikron with black Miflex. I did not like the way it was finished at the end of the hose - the stainless steel fitting covering the cut end of Miflex tubing. I also held a Aqua Lung Legend rubber line and compared to Mikron Miflex. I liked the rubber better.

I have the AquaLung Legend LX and the Mikron. I love the new flex hose. I find that I get regulator push with my Legend because the hose is stiff. The hose is a little long and pushes the regulator towards the left. With the Micron, I don't find that at all. I would think that men might not have the problem with the hose as they are normally larger and the hose would not 'push' as much.

I can't imagine using a flex hose as a long hose. I could see where there would be problems.

Good point. It does happen. I may still try the Miflex. I am just used to old things that work for me.

I just got one in the mail today,I hope it cures the reg. push problem I have been having,it is very annoying,will report back.

Thank you. I wanted to try the newest thing but after hearing about the ends I think I'll pass on it.

I just bought some miflex hoses, and I think they are great. Lightweight, ver flexible, certainly nice. I think the things discussed in the first post are simply a matter of getting used to something new.

I am not surprised of the OP experience. I kind of expected something like it. A long hose is going to tend to be over all flexible anyway.

This just shows that not all products are ideal for all applications. I haven’t gotten any MiFlex hoses yet, but I still think they are probably a great product for shorter hose application. I will probably get a couple of them soon to try them out.

Thank you. I wanted to try the newest thing but after hearing about the ends I think I'll pass on it.

The fittings on the XS Scuba MiFlex hoses are crimped very tightly. We are accustomed to seeing a fairly cheap fitting with limited crimp on a standard hose. The EN250 standard, to which the MiFlex is approved, has a very strenuous pull test on the hose ends, requiring a considerable bite of the fitting into the hose. I have looked at over 400 hose ends on the MiFlex, and I see no issue. They CERTAINLY will not pull off. Thanks.

Phil Ellis
MiFlex Hoses at DiveSports.com

I just bought some miflex hoses, and I think they are great. Lightweight, ver flexible, certainly nice. I think the things discussed in the first post are simply a matter of getting used to something new.

The OP is discussing their use in a specific application. He didn't say the hoses wouldn't be great for other applications. In fact, the behaviour noted is because the hoses are doing exactly what they are supposed to do. He's an active and experienced diver and I think he gave it a more extensive trial period than most would have.

Sure, we can all get used to certain things but that doesn't mean we should if there is a reliable alternative that doesn't present those issues in the first place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom