The new MiFlex Braided hoses - Not so much...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think that's much different from the current long-hose deployment routine. Sure, you don't have to stuff the hose or route it when you're gearing up, but what happens after the donation? You'd have to stow it, either back in its bungee loops/sleeve or some other, more traditional way.

This comes into play during drills. For many long-hose divers, it's not going just stay stowed until there is a bona fide OOA. Mod-S drills pre-dive, S-drills during the dive, there are plenty of opportunities to deploy the hose, and it's still going to require some work either before or after the process.

My objective in this configuration is not to reduce the effort of stowing the long hose, or of donating it when needed. It's to eliminate the IMO awkward configuration of having it wrapped across your chest and around your head, during the 95+% of the time that you're just diving. And of having a 7' or 5' hose with a somewhat fragile reg at the end, at all times on the boat etc. that has to be minded, clipped off, etc. so you don't step on it.

My comments about stowing and donating were acknowledging that this configuration proposal is a non-starter if either:
- It makes for slower or less reliable primary donation in an OOA, or S-drill.
- It doesn't allow for easy re-stow after an S-drill. I think here you could accept slightly more complexity/effort than the current method, but not a lot.

I think both could be achieved. But it's not worth worrying about if this new hose technology doesn't support it.

I would say it easily allows for it. Let me preface the next comment by the fact that I know nothing about DIR or long hose diving. This comment is purely logical. Why not get the larger hair scrunchies, the dinky carabiners or the ratchet clamps for electric cords the sell at home depot and just s curve those hose and clip, or bungie it so it become like a 3-4 foot length and then simply pulling it with any force pulls the gathered s curves through and the items used for stowing will stay on the hose as they are all circles. You can then easily regather and s curve the hose back through them.

... It's to eliminate the IMO awkward configuration of having it wrapped across your chest and around your head, during the 95+% of the time that you're just diving.
I don't find it awkward in the least. Not even a little.

... And of having a 7' or 5' hose with a somewhat fragile reg at the end, at all times on the boat etc. that has to be minded, clipped off, etc. so you don't step on it....
You should mind all of your gear. Clipped off is where it's supposed to be while not in a mouth. Where as other primary reg configs could be anywhere...

Just my thoughts. I know you're just checking options for things, but the premise that this is awkward is, to me, incorrect.

Chris

Ok, I FINALLY had a chance to get my new singles rig wet last night: Atomic regs with Miflex hoses all around (except the HP, of course). So I finally can weigh in with more than an academic review. Clanggedin, Mo2 was right that all of the positive things I have said about the hoses are based on dry observations, thus far... my regs on land, playing with them in the living room, flexibility checks, pressurized and not, packing ease, etc. I just haven't done much diving in singles recently, and my doubles rig has standard hoses.

Bear in mind that I have now used them on exactly ONE dive. But here are my initial impressions.

I liked them. Quite a bit.

Note: I don't own a $3k scooter like Mo2. I can see why he has an issue where, since the hose is lighter and more flexible, and the woven cover disturb the water flow a tad more, the hoses can essentially "flap in the breeze". So since the majority of his dives are on a high end scooter, I see why he may not like it as much. On those rare occasions that I hop aboard a borrowed one, I may be briefly annoyed by some flapping.

But since 99.9% of MY diving is likely to be scooter-less for the foreseeable future, I can definitely say I'm quite pleased with the hoses. Very light, SUPER easy to pack and store. Slick looking. ZERO pressure on my reg when moving my head... it's almost like the reg was in my mouth with no hose at all attached. It was just non-existent.

I'll have to make a few small adjustments. The long hose is so flexy that it ended up hanging lower on my chest when clipped off, simply because it pulls tighter around the neck curve. Not an actual issue, of course, I merely note it.

The secondary reg hose was great also. Hung straight down below my chin, just where I would want it to. The weight of the reg makes it hang directly down, as opposed to the hose pushing it/pulling it to one side or the other. Very nice.

The LP hose to my wing inflator was also splendid... there's often a little wonkiness where the hose reaches the end loop on the wing and curves to actually hit the reg (just a few inches of tight-ish curves) that I always used to think was less than 100% ideal, unless you have a custom hose cut for each wing/reg combo. The Miflex hose has no problem with the tight curve, however, and feels very natural doing it (I may have been able to use a slightly shorter hose, but consider the OEM hose was 23", I didn't want to go too far off). In fact, if you only want to try one of these hoses, that's not a bad place to start. Makes the LP hose a lot more adjustable for a number of BC/Wing combos, I think.

As for the DS hose... well, I didn't notice it any more or less than any other DS hose, so what can I say. I might add a hose hat (if I can) at some point, but the connector is a little beefier than regular hoses, so it may not be needed. I didn't try to futz with it during the dive, though. No issues popping it on and off (already pressurized) a couple of times on land, however, even with the drygloves on.

Thus endeth my review. Definitely thumbs up, for me, and the normal shore diving I do most of the time. As I get more dives on them, if my opinion changes, I'll certainly post back.

For the record, these hoses were used with an OxyCheq Mach V on a Halcyon plate, with Atomic M1/Z2 regs. I used an 84" primary hose, 22" secondary hose, 22" QD LP wing hose, and 32" QD LP drysuit hose.

I don't know if I'll bother to make any changes to my doubles regs, just because they're long since done and have been working fine, of course. I'm not sorry I spent a little extra on the Miflex hose experiment when I finally set up a new dedicated singles rig, however. I'll very possibly pick up a Miflex hose for my deco bottle, however.

I bought some Miflex hoses recently and have done a few dives with them so far. I have had no problems and really like them. I never use a scooter so that is not an issue for me. I find the reg sits very comfortably in my mouth with no tendecy for the reg to drag down due to the weight and bend of the hose, as is often the case with rubber ones. I guess one of the best recommendations is that until at some point in the dive I consciously focussed on the hose performance I had been pretty much unaware of the reg or hose through the dive (ie it was so comfortable I didn't notice it).

My long hose is a only a 4 ft which I find quite adequate for my recreational needs. I was able to stow the Miflex hose very effectively so it was out of the way and easy to deploy. I think from my perspective this use of the hose was definitely better than my old rubber one.

I haven't as yet used one on a pony/stage but I would expect it to work very well. The flexibility of the hose would allow me to very easily bungie it down on the tank and I would imagine it would deploy very easily. I would also envisage that the flex of the hose will allow it to sit more comfortably in my mouth than is the case with a stiff rubber hose. This is speculation at this stage but I think it is quite likely.

Anyway having bought two reg hoses for one of my regs I was so impressed that I have now bought another 2 hoses plus a BC inflator hose for another of my regs. I am thinking about getting a Mikron reg for my wife and daughter and if I do then I will definitely get Miflex hoses for the occy and BC as well. The light weight is a big plus for us as we often travel with 3 regs. I figure I will save close to 300g weight for each reg by replacing the hoses. This means a saving of just under a kilogram for the 3 regs, which is a significant help in meeting the baggage restrictions. I don't think it will be long before I have replaced all my hoses!

Now for my ownly negative. I use 'hose retainer' clips at times for a number of applications. These no longer work with the Miflx hoses since the hoses have a slightly smaller external diameter and lack the friction of rubber. I wonder if Miflex have considered making clips that fit their hoses and have a rubber (or similar) lining that will provide friction to grip the hoses. This is not a big deal, but it does mean I have to rethink some hose layout issues. The type of clips I am referring to are similar to these:
Aqua Y-Hose Holder from LeisurePro.com

BradEllis and tstonedvr took the scooters and their 7 foot MiFlex hoses out diving today to test how they stay in position and how they behave when scootering. They spent several hours in the water. Both reported that they see no problem with the hose moving around any more than a standard hose. Gary did report that if he turned his head while scootering, he got a little hose "shutter", but he said is was not any more than he gets with a standard hose. Brad was on an SAV-7 scooter and Gary was on the X. Both had 7 foot MiFlex hoses. Maybe they will chime in tomorrow or Monday with more observations. Thanks.

Phil Ellis
DiveSports.com

As Phil stated we ran the scoots with the MiFlex hoses today...it was the first time that I had used them. I was very pleased with both the long hose and the necklace hose (the only ones MiFlex) both stayed where I put them and the long hose did not shutter that I ever noticed but one brief time for whatever reason...I liked them well enough that I will be converting all my regs to them. As to the scootering, the quarry (Alabama Bluewater) was packed on a drizzling overcast day with divers trying out the DUI drysuits...vis was not bad considering all the rain and it was actually good at the back end away from the crowds. We will try some Monkey diving next.
Yarg

My experience. I dove for the first time with my hoses on Sunday. I purchased the 5' and the 22".

I did not like the 5' and am going to switch back for my next dives. They are "too" light. My primary would just float away behind me while I was waiting on the surface. The regular hose is heavy enough that it will just stay hanging on my chest until I'm ready to descend.

I want to try the 5', LMK if you want to sell that one.

Seems like this is one of those things that ya just have to try and see how it works out for you. It sounds dreamy so far, particularly for my necklaced backup, which has always felt awkward.

Back
Top Bottom