The new MiFlex Braided hoses - Not so much...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can see a MiFlex hose as having issues as a long hose. On the other hand, on a deco/stage/pony bottle... :D

The fittings on the XS Scuba MiFlex hoses are crimped very tightly. We are accustomed to seeing a fairly cheap fitting with limited crimp on a standard hose. The EN250 standard, to which the MiFlex is approved, has a very strenuous pull test on the hose ends, requiring a considerable bite of the fitting into the hose. I have looked at over 400 hose ends on the MiFlex, and I see no issue. They CERTAINLY will not pull off. Thanks.

Phil Ellis
MiFlex Hoses at DiveSports.com

Phil, will they fit an Atomics B2 with swivel hose?

Thanks, Ken. I suspected as much. I however would like them for my secondary reg and a drysuit hose, when they come out with a HP hose. I think that will work fine. I'll stick with the rubber hose for my primary.

Its a hose. It does what hoses are supposed to do. The product isn't defective. The performance characteristics of the hose make it not a good fit for me. No biggie - there are lots of fine products that I don't use.

Both the Distributor (Mike from XS-Scuba) and the Retailer (Phll Ellis from DiveSports.com) have contacted me and Phil is sending over a call tag to pick it up and offer a refund.

Good guys, both of them.

---
Ken

I'm a new diver and I probably just done understand, but isn't a long hose supposed to be wrapped around your body with the excess coiled up and stuffed somewhere?

If that is done then how could it be flapping on a scooter?

I'm a new diver and I probably just done understand, but isn't a long hose supposed to be wrapped around your body with the excess coiled up and stuffed somewhere?

If that is done then how could it be flapping on a scooter?

Its not rubber. There is no friction - its a slippery braid. Because its not smooth, it doesn't slide through the water like a smooth hose would. Its also not firm, but noodley and supple in its rigidity.

As its not rubber, there is no friction - it doesn't stay put behind / under the canister light and slides over my neck - especially in my trilam suit. Once I route it and stand up, the hose doesn't stay put. The mass of my second stage (Atomic B1 - not much mass...) is enough that I can watch the hose pull over my shoulder and get longer and longer and longer... the same thing happens under water. It starts off in the perfect position, but throughout the dive, more and more hose moves past the canister light, and soon I have too much hose over my chest, and eventually around my neck.

Because its not smooth, the water doesn't roll over it at high speeds (scootering) like traditional hoses. So all of this extra hose grabs the water as it rushes by and it flaps.

I am forever re-tucking and re-adjusting the length of the hose throughout the dive.

Anyway - like I said, its not defective. The hose is just not a good match for me. I don't like it, the distributor and the dealer are making it right, so everything is fine.

---
Ken

On my alternate I used a 7ft regular hose that I gathered and tucked into a pair of bungies on my tank, worked OK.

I tried a 5ft. and it works much much better (easy to setup, easy to deploy and holds very well because it’s lighter and more flexible). I’m sold I’ll switch primary second stage now.

So basically what i'm seeing here is
Miflex = good for the short hoses, not good for the long hoses?

Phil, will they fit an Atomics B2 with swivel hose?

You can put any regular LP scuba hose on an Atomic 2nd stage as long as you have a jam nut to take up the extra space. It's a less than $10 part.

It goes without saying that you loose the swivel.

Some atomics (Z2, M1) come with the jam nut (and don't have the Atomic swivel hose).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom