The New Atomic TFX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My work deals with sound systems for top cars (Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes, etc.).
When you design a new top-range sound system for such luxury cars, the starting point is the price. A good rule is to see what the competitor's price is. Let say Bose has their top range sound system marketed for 5000 euros. The new system you design must cost MORE. It cannot sound better, if it costs less...
And then the design and the research is focused on how to justify that your sound system costs 6000 eur instead of 5000.
So year after year the prices go up...
No one is thinking that these prices are a scam.
So I do not see why here people think that this reg is overpriced.
This is the wrong approach...
Think in the other way.
Atomic wanted to launch a top-notch reg at a price close to 3000 USD, which is slightly above the competitor's higher price.
Then they worked hard developing features and materials so advanced that they can justify the target price.
From what @rsingler explained, it appears that they reached this goal.

There is likely something wrong with me but all of the aggression toward this make me want it more, just the second stage though, it will go great with a sherwood SR2 first.

A little more aggression and you will buy the whole combo, fs and ss :)

Can we all get rid of the unnecessary and destructive negativity and get back to discussing Rob's OP and try to learn something from the work Rob has compiled please?

Rob took so much of his time in preparing this excellent post to educate people irrespective of them liking Atomic or any other manufacturer. There is so much to learn there and there is so much to discuss so please let's stop turning this thread into fish manure.

Why some here have issues with how others choose to spend their money is beyond me!
That's a fair question and one that comes up repeatedly in threads like this one, where the recurring issue is that Atomic Aquatic's high end regulators cost drastically more than their low/mid.-range regulators for added benefits seen by many as minor.

So, is AA parting fools from their money, or is this just a free market success story where it's worth it to some people, is AA price-gouging or just supplying a more elite market, etc...?

Are their vocal critics championing the consumer's interest or belittling those able and willing to pay the premium?

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle, with room for both sides to have reason for their opinions.

When a woman buys a $2,000 diamond ring, nobody bats an eye. It's pretty and a bit of a status symbol; that's its function, so buying a $2,000 one instead of a $500 one may make sense for the purpose. We expect those involved to understand at least crudely how the value is determined. They understand the benefit of the $2,000 diamond ring over the $500 one. Similarly, most have a rough idea of the difference between owning a Camry and a Corvette.

Regulators can look pretty, and I imagine a high end model in a name brand might in theory have a little prestige to some, but in the context of scuba culture, for most that's minor. A regulator's function is more practical - to enable you to breathe, not freeze up if you dive cold and offer ease of breathing in multiple positions without being prone to free flow. Some things, like service interval and weight, are secondary but can be the swing vote in picking one.

Think of all the threads we see on SB asking about gear, particularly picking a regulator or dive computer. A lot of divers seek help understanding their options, why A is more expensive than B and what you get for the difference.

So it's not morally wrong for AA to produce and market a high end niche product to informed customers willing and able to pay.

On the other hand, given the purposes for which most divers buy regulators, I think expressing dismay over the very large jump in price and seeking to warn others the benefits (in their opinion) are likely not worth the extra cost is legit. At least prospective customers are then challenged to consider the issue carefully and make their own decision.

To be fair, AA hypes some products strongly, and the value for dollar proposition is sometimes...debatable, so it's little wonder they get pushback.

After reading the breakdown, I actually considered it. However, as a relative scuba noob my options are:
- Buying this reg and having to say no to any extra scuba excursions
- Buying a cheaper reg and being able to say yes to more diving

Full disclosure: I've dropped $4500 on a pen without a second thought, so I have zero qualms about dropping eye-watering sums of money on things that people think are stupid.

I've dropped $4500 on a pen without a second thought

No, no no no, I am not going to ask about this pen, I just had enough derailment of this thread already :)

Back
Top Bottom