The New Atomic TFX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's interesting, the MK25T/S620 X-Ti is equally expensive (?) from what I can gather but no one seems bothered by that, unless it too attracted the same negative attention upon release, I do not know.

Didn’t even know this version of the reg existed but yea it’s way over priced too. Total rip off.

it’s way over priced too. Total rip off.

How do know you that it is "way over priced" and a "total rip off"? Did you do cost analysis and went over the actual figures? What experience do you have in regulator and dive equipment manufacturing accounting analysis?

I can't believe how much chest beating this new Atomic has created, it's almost amusing but mostly it's just sad, it sure took the fun out of it.

Talk about dumping on somebody else's parade. If somebody doesn't like or doesn't like the pricing or whatever else they don't like, sorry for you but just don't ruin the experience and moment for others who are interested. Why do these folks have to shiit on somebody's else's party, I don't know. The only think that I can think of here is "if I can't/won't have it, nobody else should" type of attitude.

How do know you that it is "way over priced" and a "total rip off"? Did you do cost analysis and went over the actual figures? What experience do you have in regulator and dive equipment manufacturing accounting analysis?

Because I have eyes. It’s been gone over multiple times in this thread. No regulator gives you performance so great that it deserves a price tag like that.

Edit: if it did, people would talk about it like they do the shearwater perdix…

I've used a D400 and could not stand the bubble interference from it. ...
My first 2nd stage was a Scubapro Balanced Adjustable (purchased new in 1987). My second 2nd stage was a Scubapro G250 (purchased new in 1988). I distinctly remember noticing immediately the increased bubble interference of the G250 over the BA. I surmised that this increase was due to the G250 not having the generous exhaust T of the BA.

I purchased my Scubapro D400 new ca. 1994, and distinctly remember noticing immediately the increased bubble interference of the D400 over the G250.

So, the increasing bubble interference was/is the downside as my 2nd stages went from BA to G250 to D400.

However, the actual breathing experience was/is the absolute upside, IMHO, with D400 >> G250 > BA.

I still have all these 2nd stages. Still run them all. Still appreciate them all.

I would love to try an Atomic TFX! I am looking forward to reading @rsingler's (and others') eventual dive reports.

rx7diver

P.S. A double-hose regulator moves exhaust bubbles away from one's vision and hearing, both! So, there's that!

Because I have eyes. It’s been gone over multiple times in this thread. No regulator gives you performance so great that it deserves a price tag like that.

Edit: if it did, people would talk about it like they do the shearwater perdix…
So don’t buy it - Atomic has obviously done the research to establish that people will pay for this new regulator or they would not have invested in bringing it to market. Companies charge what the market will bear, regardless of what you think the price should be… lol

I, for one, couldn’t care less what folks here think a “deserving” price should be - If the price Atomic is asking is too much for you to stomach, that’s your problem!

So don’t buy it - Atomic has obviously done the research to establish that people will pay for this new regulator or they would not have invested in bringing it to market. Companies charge what the market will bear, regardless of what you think the price should be… lol

I, for one, couldn’t care less what folks here think a “deserving” price should be - If the price Atomic is asking is too much for you to stomach, that’s your problem!

I guess you missed the part where I said I could absolutely buy it, but what’s the point? The “return” I’d get for that price won’t be worth it to me. Will some people spend their money on this, absolutely. Totally fine with that. There’s a sucker born every minute.

Well, I'm glad my d400 is working great and a nice d350 is on the way because $2650. is just insane.
Well, this and the cost discussion prompts an obvious line of thought...
Maybe I can get a machine shop to CNC new D400 valve housings. Titanium? SS? Pick your material. Maybe I can get the Venturi sleeve and cover injection molded. Maybe @James79 can 3D print a softer cover with wings to decrease bubbles past your face. @Kupu invented the replacement seat.

Add those up and grab a bunch of eBay D-regs?
Boom! A new D400 with bubble dispersion for $450. We could probably make a few hundred. Enough to satisfy ScubaBoard.

For those that wanted the ultimate, you'd still need to fork over the extra $650 for the longer cammed, polished TFX lever, and the TFX seat would probably be better; but you'd have a 70% solution.

That's the thing about incremental improvements, or as Atomic puts it, a "Connoisseur's" regulator. The curve that leads to it (both scientific/engineering and financial) is logarithmic. I couldn't afford a Bentley. But I'm going to buy a Bentley ashtray. I really want to see how it works.

But please don't call me a sucker, @Robert H. Diver :wink:. Call me an 'afficionado'. Better ýet, call me a Connoisseur! Some ladies have their Gucci bags, even though they might just be a mid-level manager at some obscure firm. Me? I'll have my TFX, even if I'm just an old retired guy...

Then again, next year it might just end up sitting in the closet. We'll see!

Back
Top Bottom