The Future of Film

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Kraken:
Jam,

I'm not pursuing the professional route again!

Just want someting that will give me better than average "vacation" camera abilities.

Depth of field control, detachable strobe for better lighting control, etc.

TTL strobe control.

I'd prefer something that's not enclosed in a separate housing.

Any recommendations would be welcome.

Let's say a top budget range of $1500.

the K

I *did* suggest a DSLR, and for under $1500 with no strobe.

If you want anything other than the internal flash you are NOT going to get TTL control.

There also is nothing that is not in a seperate housing unless you want a Nikonos.

The Canon S80 is a VERY nice camera. I don't like that lack of RAW, but other than that, it's IMO one of the best things out there in a PnS style camera. It is also small, about the size of a pack of cigs or smaller. So it's not bad in a housing.

I would NOT get a DS50 Ikelite. I'd look at the sea&sea digital SL960D for $300 bucks, it comes with an optical sensor, a stepless power adjustment, and works great. My Cuz purchased one last year, and she has been most happy with it. The recycle time is not awesome, but it is actually quite good as one is generally NOT shooting at full power much. She had hers dialed down a good bit for most all shots.

The reason I'm saying to stay clear of the Ikelite is that with a PnS camera, you have to purchase a manual controller, a tray, and arms, and by the time you are done, you have spent $600 for something that is about equal to several $300 flashes that come with everything you need.

The DS50 does NOT have any power adjustment at the flash, it does NOT have a rechargable pack, it does not have a modeling light. What it does have is TTL which is worthless unless you are shooting a DSLR in the Canon or Nikon flavor.

So the S80 runs maybe $450. The housing runs $200. The Sealife runs $300. You have budget to burn HOWEVER if it were me... Id' do the D50 SLR + Fantasea housing, but I'm picky :D Another housing option is the Ikelite. They are more than twice the cost, and for this type of camera, I kinda don't think its' worth it, but many feel they are superior to the Canon housings. (I shoot an S70 with a Canon housing BTW).

OK, let me throw this arrangement out to ya . . .

Fuji 900, Ikelite housing, Ikelite D200 strobe.

????

the K

The Kraken:

????

the K

I like that - especially if you can fit that into your budget. Not skimping on the strobe allows you to transition that later on if you want to upgrade. Especially if you're in limited viz waters, a nice capable strobe is a big plus.

The Kraken:

????

the K
The finepix 900 is HIGHLY recommended by the photo shop (Breckenridge Photographics) that we are neighbors with.

My Breckenridge store manager renectly purchased that same camera, and she LOVES it.

32mm equivelant on the lens is pretty wide angle - the zoom to 128mm is also good range... it does RAW.

According to Dave (Breckenridge Photographics) the Fuji P&S cameras have the best image quality in the same MP rating as other cameras.

One more question.
I'm assuming that the Ikelite DS200 will work with that particular camera.
Am I correct?
I couldn't find any information that indicated that it wouldn't.

the K-onfused

The Kraken:
One more question.
I'm assuming that the Ikelite DS200 will work with that particular camera.
Am I correct?
I couldn't find any information that indicated that it wouldn't.

the K-onfused
I would e-mail or call Ikelite. They're very nice there, and answer their phones with people :wink:

317-923-4523

Warren_L:
I like that - especially if you can fit that into your budget. Not skimping on the strobe allows you to transition that later on if you want to upgrade. Especially if you're in limited viz waters, a nice capable strobe is a big plus.

Exactly why I bought the Ikelite strobe. Now I have the DSLR camera and just need to find a way to convince someone very important that I should buy the case. Of course, the case selection is almost made to be able to use all of the strobe features. I did look at other strobes. As for rechargeable batteries - NiMH are relatively cheap, last a long time, and I can use them in multiple applications.

RonFrank:

I would NOT get a DS50 Ikelite. I'd look at the sea&sea digital SL960D for $300 bucks, it comes with an optical sensor, a stepless power adjustment, and works great. My Cuz purchased one last year, and she has been most happy with it. The recycle time is not awesome, but it is actually quite good as one is generally NOT shooting at full power much. She had hers dialed down a good bit for most all shots.

The reason I'm saying to stay clear of the Ikelite is that with a PnS camera, you have to purchase a manual controller, a tray, and arms, and by the time you are done, you have spent $600 for something that is about equal to several $300 flashes that come with everything you need.

The DS50 does NOT have any power adjustment at the flash, it does NOT have a rechargable pack, it does not have a modeling light. What it does have is TTL which is worthless unless you are shooting a DSLR in the Canon or Nikon flavor.....

This is the first that i've heard of this strobe (Sea&sea SL960D), thanks for that will have to take a serious look at it now.
Sounds like it's a lot better than the DS-50

I'm currently using a p&s film, what I really want is the Sealife DC500. It is a 5 megapixel p&s and is supposed to have almost no shutter lag. I think MSRP is $600, Ive seen it online for $500.
If anyone has any experience with it, i would love to hear it.

The Kraken:

????

the K

Kraken,

Have a look here, these pics were taken with a Fuji E900, some of the pics were taken using a macro add on lens I believe, but at any rate the pictures are breath-taking :).
Now the users are obviously very talented, but thought this would give you an idea of what the camera is capable of :D.

http://www.digitaldiver.net/yabbse/...play;threadid=17040;start=msg159927#msg159927
http://www.digitaldiver.net/yabbse/...play;threadid=16854;start=msg158185#msg158185

http://www.digitaldiver.net/yabbse/...play;threadid=17811;start=msg167178#msg167178

http://www.digitaldiver.net/yabbse/...play;threadid=17845;start=msg167103#msg167103 WOW!!
http://www.digitaldiver.net/yabbse/...play;threadid=17772;start=msg166481#msg166481

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom