The Future of Film

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can bring it out this wekend.

Nikon D-70
Ikelite iTTL housing
6 inch dome port
DS125 Strobe

It sounds like it is pretty close to what you are thinking about.

The Kraken:
OK, let me throw this arrangement out to ya . . .

Fuji 900, Ikelite housing, Ikelite D200 strobe.

????

the K

That's a rather huge stobe for this camera's capabilities. In fact you would likely not be able to even shoot it a full power, as the smallest aperture on the camera is f8.

I also think that you may have some issues firing the strobe. You would need a manual controller, and you would have to use the in camera flash to fire it. One issue with that approach is that since the in camera strobe is firing, you end up with backscatter from that strobe. The manual controller is at least 5 inches or more away from the internal camera strobe so you can't just block of the internal strobe like you can with an optical slave sensor which sits right over the flash.

The DS200 is one heck of a flash, but really is designed for the DSLR shooter, or very high end digital with a hot shoe as there is no fiber optic sensor to fire it, and really is best fired from a connection on a housing.

You CAN make this work, bit I'd suggest the DS125 would be a more reasonable choice for a PnS strobe (heck it's what I'm planning with my D200). You do NOT get TTL with the setup you listed.

I would disagree with the above post discounting the DS50 strobe. I don't know much about the SL960D but looking at the picture i can tell you for diving where i do (sometimes murky/stirred up conditions) the included arm would not be nearly long enough for anything except macro. I use rechargeable AA's with my DS50 so not having a proprietary battery pack is a plus in my opinion. A modeling light on my strobe is also something i wasn't interested in. My camera (fuji finepix f810) has awesome low light focus but for night dives/really dark dives i attach a small LED flashlight to my housing.

It's also very small and light. Powerful. And the angle of coverage is great with P&S cameras (i've had success with it and my attached inon wide angle lens too). Also look for used deals and i've seen the strobe+manual controller+ikelite arms going for under $200. Anyways i wouldn't take it off your short list yet. If i were buying again right now i'd go for Fuji E900+ike case+ds50+ULCS arms/tray. But i imagine you'd be happy with the canon/olympus cameras out now too.

Chris

RonFrank:
I also think that you may have some issues firing the strobe. You would need a manual controller, and you would have to use the in camera flash to fire it. One issue with that approach is that since the in camera strobe is firing, you end up with backscatter from that strobe. The manual controller is at least 5 inches or more away from the internal camera strobe so you can't just block of the internal strobe like you can with an optical slave sensor which sits right over the flash.

Sorry but that's wrong. I block my internal flash and the manual controller works fine. It also gives you control of the strobe right by your hands instead of on the back of the strobe.

Chris

No Fish:
I can bring it out this wekend.

Nikon D-70
Ikelite iTTL housing
6 inch dome port
DS125 Strobe

It sounds like it is pretty close to what you are thinking about.

Thanks, No Fish !!!

I'd love to give it a "look-see".

the K

Trust me. You will increase that $1500 budget pretty quick.

I love it.

The Kraken:
Thanks, No Fish !!!

I'd love to give it a "look-see".

the K

Monkey Knife-fight:
Sorry but that's wrong. I block my internal flash and the manual controller works fine. It also gives you control of the strobe right by your hands instead of on the back of the strobe.

Chris

Well I don't have the controller, but how does it *see* the flash if it's blocked?

I'm not doubting you, but it DOES fire based on seeing the flash...yes?

No Fish:
Trust me. You will increase that $1500 budget pretty quick.

I love it.

Nah, I've locked myself in at $1600 tops. And believe me, I'll stick to it.

Ach, tis me Scottish heritage, m'Lad !!!!

the K

Hey The - any money you spend on a film system is money down the drain. I'm sitting on a box of my last film stuff - Nikon and Rollei stuff that I haven't gotten around to eBaying yet. My enlargers went the eBay route years ago while I was still in Honolulu and couldn't give them away locally.
As for digital black & white, among other sites, check out:
http://www.mediastreet.com/site/generations_gq.html
High end digital cameras and printing systems are not a cheap or casual investment, but the notion that digital is just snapshot stuff is archaic.

Tom,

What do you have in the Nikon cache ???

the K

Back
Top Bottom