The Future of Film

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warren_L:
Hmmm... I think I heard someone say that earlier.... :)

A good strobe will last you a long time. The way I look at it is a camera body is going to likely be upgraded at a certain point down the road. My strobes and lenses I view as more of an investment that will last me a while.

I think the questions is what is overkill. I've never owned a DS125 strobe but wouldn't it be considered overkill for a p&s and adequate for a DSLR? The DS200 definitely would be enough strobe but i think the DS125 would be also in a smaller, lighter, cheaper package.

DISCLAIMER: I have NEVER owned a DSLR or DS125 or DS200 so YMMV.

Chris

Monkey Knife-fight:
I think the questions is what is overkill. I've never owned a DS125 strobe but wouldn't it be considered overkill for a p&s and adequate for a DSLR? The DS200 definitely would be enough strobe but i think the DS125 would be also in a smaller, lighter, cheaper package.

DISCLAIMER: I have NEVER owned a DSLR or DS125 or DS200 so YMMV.

Chris

I think it useful to look at what one considers "overkill" to be and why is it necessarily bad.

Overkill, in the sense of power? I dunno, since I think that it's difficult to have too much power, especially if you're going to be shooting in limited visibility waters. More power may also give you more working distance too. As long as you can adjust the power down on the strobe for shots that do not require a full discharge, I can only see this as being a benefit. If, however, you do not ever anticipate making full use of the capabilities of the strobe - ever - then yes, I would concur that it is "overkill" in that sense as you're paying for something that you will never use. My contention is that in less than ideal conditions, having a good strong strobe will allow you more flexibility, p&s and dSLR alike. I don't think there's anything magical about going from a p&s camera to a dSLR that suddenly makes a requirement for a stronger strobe. However, the features of the DS-125s that I use that were of great benefit when I upgraded were the wired connection and TTL capabilities.

Overkill in the sense of cost? Perhaps. You can certainly get cheaper setups that will certainly do an adequate job. However, I would suggest that if you have any thoughts of upgrading at some point to a more sophisticated system, you'd end up saving money if you get a decent strobe that will last you through at least your next upgrade cycle.

Warren_L:
I think it useful to look at what one considers "overkill" to be and why is it necessarily bad.

Overkill, in the sense of power? I dunno, since I think that it's difficult to have too much power, especially if you're going to be shooting in limited visibility waters. More power may also give you more working distance too. As long as you can adjust the power down on the strobe for shots that do not require a full discharge, I can only see this as being a benefit. If, however, you do not ever anticipate making full use of the capabilities of the strobe - ever - then yes, I would concur that it is "overkill" in that sense as you're paying for something that you will never use. My contention is that in less than ideal conditions, having a good strong strobe will allow you more flexibility, p&s and dSLR alike. I don't think there's anything magical about going from a p&s camera to a dSLR that suddenly makes a requirement for a stronger strobe. However, the features of the DS-125s that I use that were of great benefit when I upgraded were the wired connection and TTL capabilities.

Overkill in the sense of cost? Perhaps. You can certainly get cheaper setups that will certainly do an adequate job. However, I would suggest that if you have any thoughts of upgrading at some point to a more sophisticated system, you'd end up saving money if you get a decent strobe that will last you through at least your next upgrade cycle.

Like Warren I had my housing upgraded fot the ttl ability to work with my oly5050(prosumer point/shoot)..tested in pool recently and works fine,going to costa rica in a couple of weeks to use it..Look at my pictures in gallery ,some taken with nikonos 5 wal and some with 5050-wal..used ike 125 on 5050..pre ttl using manual controls..ttl will make things more reliable and easier.Just another tool to use to get your shots.

The Kraken:
Tom,
What do you have in the Nikon cache ???
the K
All that's left is a Nikkormat FTn black body; Nikon F chrome body (non-metered finder); 55mm f:3.5 Micro Nikkor; 28mm f:3.5 Auto Nikkor; 135mm f:2.8 Auto Nikkor; M2 ring for the Micro Nikkor; and some Nikon filters. Everything else is gone.

I wanted a nice digital also but to get good pictures you have to spend a lot more on a digital then on an equal film. I have friends with cheap digitals and underwater cases that take terrible cases. If you cant use a strobe on a digital forget it. Most cheaper Digital cameras have no revision for a strobe. I bought a brand new MMII ex with strobe and wide angel for $238.00 on EBay with a full warranty from Sea & Sea. The camera price tag was still on the Box at $735.00 so that gives you an idea what it sold for way back when. I will upgrade one day to Digital when I can afford it. But right now its film for me.

I may not be normal, but I was spending $25k-$30k minimum per year on film and film processing... One year I spent almost $60k

Over the past few years I have spent $4000-$5000 on memory cards, and upgraded my camera from a Fuji S2 to Nikon D2X. Even considering backup bodies (yes I own 2 Nikon D2X's) and new housings and a few other things I am so far in front cost wise it is not even close.

And with the latest memory cards I will never, ever,ever run out of shots on a dive. I can't imagine going back to 36 shots a dive.

M

Marriard:
I may not be normal, but I was spending $25k-$30k minimum per year on film and film processing... One year I spent almost $60k

Over the past few years I have spent $4000-$5000 on memory cards, and upgraded my camera from a Fuji S2 to Nikon D2X. Even considering backup bodies (yes I own 2 Nikon D2X's) and new housings and a few other things I am so far in front cost wise it is not even close.

And with the latest memory cards I will never, ever,ever run out of shots on a dive. I can't imagine going back to 36 shots a dive.

M

that works out at about 3 films a day 365 days a year
60k 6 per day 365 days a year
You must be a professional?

You can get consistently great results with your film system if you know it well. With a completely manual camera it can take years. I have mine cameras down now to where nearly the entire roll (35/36) is fairly good, and about 3 really nice shots per roll. You dont need to see the final pic to know you just wasted a frame. Shooting a good roll takes restraint. It takes allot of time with the camera though. All my friends have digitals and their pic's never compare to mine. However they have had them for around 1 year and as they shoot more that will likely change. There are lots of things about digital I would love to have. However right now I get really good consistent results with my film camera so I'm happy with it. No matter what you get keep it compact and agile. So many people leave their camera behind on tough dives or miss tough shots because rigs are pigs.

A MMII, 16mm lens, Macro2t and YS-60 that you can free hand is all you need. You can likely get it all for $350 or less on ebay. If you camera floods, buy another for less than $50 on ebay. My biggest complaint is sharing pics. Right now I just scan prints in with my junky fax and the quality is awful. So if you want digital pics, well there is something to be said for starting in that format.

Now you still have to learn to use it which might be frustrating and never happen if you cant get a few hundred dives in with it. However that may be true no mater what your shooting.

Back
Top Bottom