The Future of Film

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Monkey Knife-fight:
Also look for used deals and i've seen the strobe+manual controller+ikelite arms going for under $200.

Show me that deal, and I'll spit out $200 like an ATM machine!

I've been watching Ikelite auctions for months. Anything DS goes for close to retail, and I can not even find an old manual or TTL controller for my SS200. When they do pop up there is a ton of demand, and the last old style slave sensor sold for a whopping $140 :bash:

I don't argue that used deals get snatched up pretty quick. Especially the good ones. Takes patience/luck...i caved and payed ~$350 for my strobe/controller used. But lots of demand for the strobes is a good sign for the overall quality if you ask me :wink:

As for covering the internal flash...here is a (crappy) pic that kinda shows how it works. The controller basically sits just behind the front of the housing...i taped the inside of my housing and aim the controller at the inside of the tape. Works great:

55541492-M.jpg

another pic sans strobe
55541488-M.jpg

Blocks the internal flash and seems to fire the strobe very reliably.

Chris

Ron,

I realize that the 200 is a lot of strobe for that camera unit, but one thing I learned a long, long time ago when I shot professionally, is that you don't have to use all the light you have, but you can't use light you don't have.

Much of the advice I'm getting from buddies not on the board is to buy a top line strobe. That's one less piece of equipment to upgrade if and when the camera system is upgraded. I tend to agree with that philosophy.

I have to admit, you guys are really helpful.

There is just sooooooo many combinations and permutations of setups out there that it's just impossible to try to work through all of them.

That's one reason I like this board so much; the members are so wonderfully giving of their knowledge and experience.

the K

Cool. If I every can find a controller (I need the old version) for my SS200 sounds like it will work great with my S70! That's good news! Now I just have to find one. :huh:

I agree there are some deals to be had. One can pick up an SS200 for under $300, and that is a heck of a deal on a flash that did sell for $1000. I paid $225 for mine. I purchased it primarily as I plan on getting a DSLR UW soon, but if I could get it to work with my S70 that we be cool even if it's like mounting a 100mm gun on a bicycle! :D

The Kraken:
Ron,
Much of the advice I'm getting from buddies not on the board is to buy a top line strobe. That's one less piece of equipment to upgrade if and when the camera system is upgraded. I tend to agree with that philosophy.

Well I totally agree with this as well assuming that you do plan on upgrading at some point. I'd not rule out however the DS125. In addition, UW two strobes is the end goal for most serious shooters.

I purchased an SS200 on Ebay for dirt cheap (now the DS200 is out). And if I can find a controller for it (discontinued) I'll likely mount that on my S70 until I get a DSLR UW.

One chunk of advice I would also impart, you may want to buy once, and just get an DSLR UW :D I did NOT go that route, but look where I live :11doh:

However I'm going to get a d200 when they become easier to find, and the next step will be a housing, likely Ikelite. :D

If you want to get too much strobe for your camera i'd consider the DS125 instead of the DS200. The 125 is a powerful, big (physically) strobe with an angle of coverage wide enough for if you ever want to upgrade to a DSLR. The DS200 is even bigger (and over 1lb heavier) and more powerful, but with no additional angle of coverage. There's something to be said for smaller systems for getting it into those cracks (though i wouldn't call the 125 small...it's probably twice the size of my DS50).

Obviously do whatever you think is right but if you're looking to get more strobe than you immediately need then the DS125 fits that bill.

Chris

Went up to my LDS and asked one of the principals there about all of this.

He showed me a strobe that Sea & Sea is introducing in May that's 175 watts with built in spotting light. Didnt' have a price on it yet.

Well, so far I think I'll give the Fuji 900 and Ikelite housing a shot.

None of this is coming to pass until July, so I have a bit of time to fret over all of the decisions.

the K

The Kraken:

He showed me a strobe that Sea & Sea is introducing in May that's 175 watts with built in spotting light. Didnt' have a price on it yet.

None of this is coming to pass until July, so I have a bit of time to fret over all of the decisions.

the K

One thing to consider IF you ever plan on upgrading is that the DS series Ikelite strobes are TTL compatable with Nikon/Fuji/Canon DSLR's. So if you did go with an Ikelite DS strobe, and you decided to go with an Ikelite DSLR housing in the future, you'd have a strobe that does TTL.

This is where Ikelite shines a bit brighter than other strobe manufactures. I don't think there is another UW strobe manufacture out there that has TTL in digital. I think others are going to start supporting it, but they are not there yet.

The Kraken:

the K

Don't forget the big memory card :wink:.
That Sea & Sea strobe sounds almost like overkill!

The Kraken:
Ron,

I realize that the 200 is a lot of strobe for that camera unit, but one thing I learned a long, long time ago when I shot professionally, is that you don't have to use all the light you have, but you can't use light you don't have.

Hmmm... I think I heard someone say that earlier.... :)

A good strobe will last you a long time. The way I look at it is a camera body is going to likely be upgraded at a certain point down the road. My strobes and lenses I view as more of an investment that will last me a while.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom