The Future of Film

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any thoughts on the Sea & Sea or Sealife cameras, anyone?

I guess by now all of you an tell that you've brought me over to the digital side of things.

the K

We welcome your return from the darkside (film) :D.

fdog:
On a different note, one of the things I've seen posted as a reason in support of digital is all the images you can shoot on a single dive. I rarely come back with more than 40. Maybe it's habit holdover from film, but I just don't shoot more than a frame a minute after I find a subject. Anything more than that, and it's just machine-gun images, with no composition or thought.
===========================================
Funny you should mention that. I just recently made the switch to digital for my u/w pics and find myself counting shots underwater ...most likely for the same reason you stated. I'm geared toward the limits of a 36 exposure roll of film.

Another good point you make is about the firing rate of a camera underwater. Taking into acount lighting and composition I'm doing good to bang off 1 every couple minutes. I've taken a few "desparation" shots with 500 PSI of air and on my way back to the boat but normally I end up with between 35 and 40 pics per dive. The BIG difference is that I don't have to rewind, removed the film and reload before my next dive.

I'm liking digital so far and if my first experience/results are anything like what I can expect in the future I'm glad I made the switch.

'Slogger

here we go again, digital verus film debate. each technology has its pluses and minuses. so before you go slamming one or the other please go read the others times this has been rehashed (including the most recent one that i have posted under)

fdog:
K, I'm getting more use than ever out of my old F3s and F4s, shooting B+W. Enough so, that there's now a new darkroom in my house.

There is something satisfying about producing a quality fine-art B+W print. Plus, even at it's best, I haven't seen a digital B+W print that can come close to the tones of a good old-skool film image.

And, demand for quality B+W film images has skyrocketed in galleries.

So, to get back to your question: yes, there's life still in film, just not in the way it was before the digital revolution.

All the best, James

James i would agree with you on B&W(even though mine goes through DR5 right now for slides that i scan) as the negs i have shot in the past i still traditionally print in the schools darkroom on cold head enlargers.

As for the costs. that as the next time i here digital doesnt cost anything im gonna hurt them as it doesnt if anything on average it costs more when its all said and done.

lavasurfer: if film is gone why did fuji just release 4 new films at the last trade show? Film is not dead by any stretched its just that there has been a shift in marketing (ie instead of 1 camera body every 10 years, its now 1 new camera every 18 months because of the megapixel race and keeping up with the jones mentality). film will be there for those that really want to shoot it and desire its look and tonality, heck you can still get kodachrome and have it processed(as in the freezer i have KM, KR and PKL ie 25,64, and 200 speed in the freezer).

Tooth

Whether the image is obtained on film or digital is secondary to optics and composition.

I use a Nikonos with a 15mm lens. For me, it's easier to not worry about diopters and ports. Just about everything is in focus. The tricky part is exposure so I bracket my shots. My goal is not to have 100 good shots. I'm going for 10 superb photos. Oh, and I got my 15 really cheap!

For macro, digital kicks the crap out of film.

Personal opinion...

Having worked in the photo industry in a lab for 7 1/2 years before/during college and having Hubby work in Photo Lab for almost 11 years....at this point, don't buy film.

Sink your $$ into digital. Many of the labs are going all digital, as there is no need to spend $$ on developer chemicals anymore for film. It's not gone yet, but over the last 2 years, our film development has dropped by more than 75%...that is not exaggerated. It is almost ALL digital now.

I would dare say that, within the next 5 years, film will be gone. The majority of what we develop now is one-time-use cameras, not roll-work anymore.

That is my 2 cents worth...

Well, since this is my thread and I've decided to go digital, there is no need for any further discussion of the pro's and con's of each.

Now, keeping a $1500 ceiling in mind, is there anyone out there who has the conviction of cause to say, "Hey, K, buy this strobe, this camera and this housing."?

As the old Scotts say, "Nae guts, nae glorie . . ."

the K

The Kraken:
Well, since this is my thread and I've decided to go digital, there is no need for any further discussion of the pro's and con's of each.

Now, keeping a $1500 ceiling in mind, is there anyone out there who has the conviction of cause to say, "Hey, K, buy this strobe, this camera and this housing."?

the K

I have heard, but unfortunatly not seen with my own two eyes that the DC500 Elite set is a great system. Thee is a two digital strobe setu for $1400 that sounds like the bomb. I bought the DC500 and its in transit as I type but I did not get the strobe as I do not want to lug strobes around yet.

http://www.sealife-cameras.com/cameras/dc500_maxx.html
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SealifeDC500MaxxKit

If I get serious about underwater photography then I will get an ikelite case and strobes for my dSLR.

I can tell you that the earlier models, DC320, with strobes took GREAT pictures at a reasonably low price point. And the pictures on SeaLifes web sight in the galleries look real nice. aybe you should call and ask if you get a trial period. Never hurts to ask.

My second choice was the SB350 OLY but the slow shutter lag killed that deal. If the DC500 shot Raw format it very well might be th perfect P&S UW Camera

Scooter

The Kraken:

the K

What R your goals with UW photography? That kinda defines what you may want to look into. For $1500 you can come close to a D50/D70 or 350D and a housing but it won't get you a strobe.

I have been shooting a Canon S70 and it's very enjoyable. However like all PnS camera's there are some things that I really don't like about it.

So what RU looking to achieve?

The Kraken:

the K

Kraken i'll take you up on that challenge and open myself up to all sorts of abuse in the process :wink: :).
I blame the following post on youthful exuberance if asked :p.

As a relative newbie to photography (although i've plunged headlong into it )and underwater photography even more recently.
Like I said before it's important to buy a camera, housing and strobe that suits your need and what you wish to accomplish with u/w photography.

Canon, Olympus and Fuji all have great models in the point & shoot range.
My short list of cameras would include.
  • Canon A620 (I have the A610 which is 5mp) in Ike housing, (with the Canon housing, add on macro or wide lenses aren't possible at the moment). This is perhaps the best bang for your buck system, A620 in a canon housing would be less than $500
  • Canon S80 in Canon or Ike housing, whichever one you use is fine. Look for a recent thread by Ed_Dman to see what it's capable of with a wide angle lense attached.
  • Fuji E900, if you head on over to Digitaldiver.net and look for Dr.Bob is it??, you'll see what this camera can accomplish, it's amazing
  • Olympus Sp-350, they're several threads about it in here..
  • Fuji F810 seems to be very popular also and produce great pics
Personally for me things that would mitigate against or cause me not to seriously look at a camera is a camera that's slow to focus, slow operation (in menus, reviewing pics), uses proprietary batteries or storage media(such as XD).
Prefer cams that can use AA batteries (get rechargeable they'll save you many times overs)

In terms of housing with the budget that you quoted, it probably would make sense to get an Ikelite or other third party housing from the get go, as they're more durable can be taken to greater depths and most importantly are backed by great customer service.
One drawback of an Ike housing though is the size and maybe the weight, it's not as compact or small as most of the manufacturer housings.

Don't know much about strobes although i'm considering buying one in the future but don't think you can go wrong with Ike DS-50 or DS-125 or the Inon D-2000 or some of the sea&sea strobes Ys-60, Ys-110?

Well there you go, the list isn't exhaustive but I don't think you can really go wrong there.

Back
Top Bottom