the DIR moniker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you get a chance to dive it yet? If you'd like to take it for a spin, (I can take off all the pads, weight pouches, stationary D-ring, stationary light mount) just let me know and i'd be happy to meet you at Cove 2...

I hear that JJ dives it in Wakulla so that he can get in and out of deep rig to deco rigs and so forth easier (oh wait, who would want to make things easier!), does that mean that WKPP et al are no longer DIR? :wink:

Yeah ... I'm pretty sure whoever wrote that was a member of ScubaBoard.

BTW - I had a chance to look at a new Halcyon rig yesterday. Now I understand why they took the DIR tag off their product ... because they're not DIR anymore.

Lots of padding on the rig now ... including shoulder pads. And some nice plastic bits with rollers on the backplate to make adjusting the harness a breeze.

Actually, I like what they've done ... but it's hardly the "minimalist" approach that DIR promotes. I think they're trying to appeal to the ScubaPro crowd ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Perhaps we should get rid of the DIR term just so we can stop the intellectually-lacking "JJ/AG/WKPP/FooBarBaz does it so it must be DIR" arguments. This isn't a religion and they aren't the Pope.

and we have basically come full circle in this thread :wink:

Actually, I like what they've done ... but it's hardly the "minimalist" approach that DIR promotes. I think they're trying to appeal to the ScubaPro crowd ...

I dive the Infinity (sans shoulder pads, but using the new plate pad and fixed-position can light/left-side D-ring "adapters"). It really is quite nice... I'm actually thinking about locking down one side of the rig with a keeper though, and leaving only one side (probably my right) "cinchable". The cinch definitely makes it a lot easier to get "typical" recreational divers on board with trying it out (with the pads helping a bit too)...

If Halcyon REALLY wants to appeal to the ScubaPro crowd, they just need to to come out with some nice regulators that look/act like... Oh wait... :D

:D

you can put a stopper (AKA triglide) on the cinch to limit it's mobility (only want it to loosen/cinch between X and Y) or block it (as hepcat says) completely... adjustable and customizable :wink:

actually having H regs around is actually kind of cool... it means that shops who don't want to carry the stupid-com computers, or can't carry Scubapro due to proximity can still theoretically carry the regulators... what will be perfect is when they come out with the H-Jet fins :wink: then its a totally complete line for kool-aide guzzlers like me :wink: Hmm... instead of hearts, maybe some blue H's on my fins.... :wink:

Accuracy has never stood in the way of a good story. Why start now!?

I'm not seeing that anything I wrote was inaccurate ... :idk:

As for the rig, it'll appeal to someone like myself who would prefer teaching classes in BP/W ... because it's so simple to fit a class of OW students in a set of these rigs. Fairly sure I can't afford to restock my inventory of backplates at this point ... but wondering if there's some way I could retrofit those little roller thingies onto the backplates I already own ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I dive the Infinity (sans shoulder pads, but using the new plate pad and fixed-position can light/left-side D-ring "adapters"). It really is quite nice... I'm actually thinking about locking down one side of the rig with a keeper though, and leaving only one side (probably my right) "cinchable". The cinch definitely makes it a lot easier to get "typical" recreational divers on board with trying it out (with the pads helping a bit too)...
The new plate pad's pretty slick ... much nicer than the old version. I didn't really pick up on the other changes you mentioned ... I'll take a closer look next time I drop by the shop.

If Halcyon REALLY wants to appeal to the ScubaPro crowd, they just need to to come out with some nice regulators that look/act like... Oh wait... :D
I already own a bunch of ScubaPro regs ... my next reg purchases will be from somebody who offers service kits without having to go third-party to find them ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I do not understand the need for the back pad or the shoulder pads other than the public's misplaced concerns of potential discomfort. :idk:

Down here a lot of folks are already down to rash guards only between themselves and harness. The GUE Tech II instructor who sold me my H BP/wing offered a free demo if I promised to only wear a T-shirt underneath. No further questions were asked and I purchased on the spot several years ago...

Last edited:

As for the rig, it'll appeal to someone like myself who would prefer teaching classes in BP/W ... because it's so simple to fit a class of OW students in a set of these rigs. Fairly sure I can't afford to restock my inventory of backplates at this point ... but wondering if there's some way I could retrofit those little roller thingies onto the backplates I already own ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hi Bob, Hope things are well with you.

Yes, you can buy the parts to retrofit your existing Halcyon plates. I have several of the setups for use for students and you are exactly right in that it is a cinch to equip and size a group of students.......;-)

Best,

Guy

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Wait, did you actually criticize these new systems without knowing that you can retrofit them onto halcyon plates? I am not a fan of them myself, because I think they are unnecessary, but I havent tried them so I will reserve judgement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom