The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joanie,
I think I know that eel. He has an injured jaw. Hides a lot. I love seeing your photos esp when I see an old friend- good to know they are still there. Now I need to check on friendly seaweed blenny in the bike handle. Hope he is still there & didn't get dislodged when his home moved (now how did that happen?).
Not sure I like the new look of the board but guess I will get use to it. Where do I look for messages or will they still pop up? Took me 3 tries to type this.
Deb

Thanks Deb! The blenny is still there. He moves around - sometimes in the handle and sometimes in the "basement" near the pedal. He's too tiny for my camera. Doug shot video yesterday so will hopefully post something.

I'm not sure about this new format either - what happened to the little thumbnails? My photo is too big.

It was nice to finally meet you Joanie.

I figured you made the choke sign for the one we were looking for at that spot. I found Mr Potato Head. I'll post pics after I wake up.

Nice to meet you too!

You found Mr. Potato Head! Ugh!!! I'm sure I swam right past him! I'm thinking about going back up on Monday morning.

Okay. I did the Bridge again yesterday afternoon. I have had some fellow photographer friends in from Atlanta that have been following by bridge pics and wanted to try it. They have been diving it all week, and loving it.

Visibility was down a bit, and the tidal current was really strong. I never looked to see what the water temp was, so it must still be in the high 70's - low 80's. Total bottom time was 2:02.

I had leads on the locations for 3 new frog fish but couldn't find any of them. I did find the little white one that we have named Mr Potato Head. What I did find were 6 Squat Urchin Shrimp. I didn't even shoot all of them. Anyway, here are some pics from the dive:

attachment.php

attachment.php

A twofer
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Octo-Beer
attachment.php

Mr Potato Head
attachment.php

Fighting Lancer Dragonettes
attachment.php

And the winner is........
attachment.php

For all you Clash fans out there......"See his right profile"
attachment.php

attachment.php

Okay. I did the Bridge again yesterday afternoon. I have had some fellow photographer friends in from Atlanta that have been following by bridge pics and wanted to try it. They have been diving it all week, and loving it.

Visibility was down a bit, and the tidal current was really strong. I never looked to see what the water temp was, so it must still be in the high 70's - low 80's. Total bottom time was 2:02.

I had leads on the locations for 3 new frog fish but couldn't find any of them. I did find the little white one that we have named Mr Potato Head. What I did find were 6 Squat Urchin Shrimp. I didn't even shoot all of them. Anyway, here are some pics from the dive:

attachment.php

attachment.php

A twofer
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Octo-Beer
attachment.php

Mr Potato Head
attachment.php

Fighting Lancer Dragonettes
attachment.php

And the winner is........
attachment.php

For all you Clash fans out there......"See his right profile"
attachment.php

attachment.php

You da man! Great shootin' Scott.

As promised. I used the whole song because it's such a FUN song and it just fit so well. Sorry 3 minutes long - think of it as a safety stop. Enjoy!

Low Rider on Vimeo

So, how many urchins ya gotta molest, on average, before you happen upon one of their little urchin shrimps squatting? And, are they liable to skitter away once fount, or do they tend to be posers? And, any idea whether squats and bumblebees mix?

Kevin

As promised. I used the whole song because it's such a FUN song and it just fit so well. Sorry 3 minutes long - think of it as a safety stop. Enjoy!

[]

Sorry it wasn't longer? Loved it. And, now I know the name of that song. :D

So, are all the octos significantly larger than what I was (finally) seeing a month or so ago?

Kevin
with a feedback score of zero

Last edited:
So, how many urchins ya gotta molest, on average, before you happen upon one of their little urchin shrimps squatting? And, are they liable to skitter away once fount, or do they tend to be posers? And, any idea whether squats and bumblebees mix?

Kevin

Maybe 1 out of every 6 of the purpleish colored ones. The shrimp will try to move toward wahtever portion of the urchin is pointed toward the bottow. You can get off a shot maybe 2 before you have to reposition the urchin.

I shoot them with my 105mm lens and 2 external wet diopters.

All of the bumble bee shrimp I have found have been on these urchins.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom