The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll be there tomorrow afternoon for the late afternoon dive. It should be a nice twilight dive (6:40 PM high tide)... Entering approx. 5:30 PM and exiting just before 8:00 PM. It should be a good afternoon for some interesting characters that aren't usually seen until the sun begins to set

So, how many urchins ya gotta molest, on average, before you happen upon one of their little urchin shrimps squatting? And, are they liable to skitter away once fount, or do they tend to be posers? And, any idea whether squats and bumblebees mix?

Kevin
Notice the average coloring of the urchins in Scott's pictures. That should give you a better ratio of "spotting" to "relocation"... It is very difficult to molest a sea urchin. Remember, they cover themselves with everything from each other (and their dead) to sunglasses and news print.

Okay. I did the Bridge again yesterday afternoon. I have had some fellow photographer friends in from Atlanta that have been following by bridge pics and wanted to try it. They have been diving it all week, and loving it.

Visibility was down a bit, and the tidal current was really strong. I never looked to see what the water temp was, so it must still be in the high 70's - low 80's. Total bottom time was 2:02.

I had leads on the locations for 3 new frog fish but couldn't find any of them. I did find the little white one that we have named Mr Potato Head. What I did find were 6 Squat Urchin Shrimp. I didn't even shoot all of them. Anyway, here are some pics from the dive:

attachment.php
My favorite of the bunch... a rare star-eyed hermit crab. I think I have 3 total pictures of this breed from the bridge. But, it is the reason most of my hermit crab shots focus on the eyes (I'm gonna get it right one of these days!)

As promised. I used the whole song because it's such a FUN song and it just fit so well. Sorry 3 minutes long - think of it as a safety stop. Enjoy!

Low Rider on Vimeo
I LOVE IT!

We all get to a point with our underwater equipment when we begin to experiment... I started with my DC600 and the Windows Movie Maker (way too much friggin' time on my hands)... But, it's fun to play... You just need a Larry the Wonder LLama production to make your final move to the dark side of the bridge :)

(Best Jedi voice) These are not the droids you are looking for...

I shot this one on a tire at the bike on Wednesday and it came out of a bit of metal tubing that easily could be a handlebar!!

https://picasaweb.google.com/jwood1138/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCMqm7pySwPi6dQ#

Looked to be a permanent resident............................

Could be. I really like the seaweed blenny & this particular one had missing cirri over his rt eye but I watched them grow back. Now I also saw Cooltechs "hair" challenged one & wonder if his will ever straighten out (or maybe it was just the current & my bad eyesight

So, are all the octos significantly larger than what I was (finally) seeing a month or so ago?

Thanks Kevin!

Yes the octos are getting bigger. My quarter was stolen (by an octopus) so I didn't have my "perspective." But that last one in the video, the one with the amputated tentacle, was about fist-size. He was the biggest - the others were slightly smaller.

I LOVE IT!

We all get to a point with our underwater equipment when we begin to experiment... I started with my DC600 and the Windows Movie Maker (way too much friggin' time on my hands)... But, it's fun to play... You just need a Larry the Wonder LLama production to make your final move to the dark side of the bridge :)

(Best Jedi voice) These are not the droids you are looking for...

I'm in so much trouble ... my new external strobe arrived this week. I've just been too busy to do much more than take it out of the box...

Last edited:
As promised. I used the whole song because it's such a FUN song and it just fit so well. Sorry 3 minutes long - think of it as a safety stop. Enjoy!

Low Rider on Vimeo

VERY nice video Jet, always liked the song too!! Interesting octo behavior--the interaction with the sharptail eel made me wonder if the missing arm of the last octo might have happened that way?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom