The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe 1 out of every 6 of the purpleish colored ones. The shrimp will try to move toward wahtever portion of the urchin is pointed toward the bottow. You can get off a shot maybe 2 before you have to reposition the urchin.

I shoot them with my 105mm lens and 2 external wet diopters.

All of the bumble bee shrimp I have found have been on these urchins.

Thanks so much! Great info. Another quest for me if I ever make it back down yonder. The purple ones are prettiest, anyway. :D

Had forgotten that I had a wet diopter of my own. And now, after having played with some dry ones, I think I'd now have a better understanding of its use. Might work out nicely in combo with a dry +4 and my 60mm. It's a Woody's. Hmmm. Any idea whether those can be stacked? Are there other brands that you know of? TIA

Kevin

Notice the average coloring of the urchins in Scott's pictures. That should give you a better ratio of "spotting" to "relocation"... It is very difficult to molest a sea urchin. Remember, they cover themselves with everything from each other (and their dead) to sunglasses and news print.

Thanks! Maybe I should have selected a better verb.:D

Thanks so much! Great info. Another quest for me if I ever make it back down yonder. The purple ones are prettiest, anyway. :D

Had forgotten that I had a wet diopter of my own. And now, after having played with some dry ones, I think I'd now have a better understanding of its use. Might work out nicely in combo with a dry +4 and my 60mm. It's a Woody's. Hmmm. Any idea whether those can be stacked? Are there other brands that you know of? TIA

Kevin

I have 2 woody's and I stack them. That's how I took the shots of Squat Urchin Shrimp.

Dove this afternoon... I might get a couple of pictures up before bed, but I have to get the camera ready for boat dives tomorrow...

I managed to lose my close-up dioper at the BHB about two weeks ago. It was in a neoprene pouch. I don't think there is much chance anyone found it but thought I would ask??

Guy

A few shots from yesterday's dive:

seahorse110514-01.JPG

seahorse110514-02.JPG

ninearmstar110514-03.JPG

ninearmstar110514-01.JPG

One night only! Sebastian SINGS: Under the Sea! (At the Met!)
hermitcrab110514-01.JPG

goldenshrimp110514-01.JPG

harlequinbass110514-01.JPG

fish110514-01.JPG

angel110514-01.JPG

commonocto110514-01.JPG

commonocto110514-02.JPG

Well, the latest camera settings seem to be working for me!

Got a question about the incoming tide at da bridge. I *think* I've read (and it would make sense, I reckon, as I look at Google Earth) that the current is running northwardly under both spans heading up to high tide time. As I have run into some of the strongest current at the bridge just as I round the end of that block of concrete at the furthest west entry point - and it's heading mostly to the west at that point (I think) - then I'm guessing that over near the east span, which I've never diven, that the current must be doing something different - maybe just the opposite (going mostly eastwardly, parallel to the beach).

I also suspect that it might be doing something completely different out in the channel that parallels the beach. I've also been told by some that one may often successfully dive the area off the beach during most any tide, but with the visibility being much more hit or miss. I'm thinking that poor visibility at the bridge is still about a million times better than (to me) bothering with anyplace else - especially if all I'm doing is trying to fill up the memory card in my camera and learn more about supermacro photography. LBTS is nice, but I seem to have sorta stopped running into much "new" stuff - that, and I keep getting lazier and lazier.

Anyway, I seem to often be the "last out" on bridge dives and very often suck the last bit of air out of the tank in the region off the beach near the west entry. Whilst the visibility might have gone down a bit, had I had another tank handy, I could have happily spent a couple more hours peeking around, assuming conditions didn't worsen significantly.

So, I'm kind of wondering if there might be something like sort of a "sweet spot" between the two spans of the beach where the current can't decide in which direction to flow, so just kind of sits still. I can also envision some kind of eddy in the area that might really stir up the silt and send me through a time warp or something.

Sorry for the long missive, but I'm addicted and would love a chance at larger fixes after the long slog down from Savannah. TIA for any info.

As I think about it, my next likely opportunity for spending several days in the area would have me attempting a "second" dive *prior* to the usual times, that is, a morning (maybe not long after *low* tide) and an afternoon dive. **AND**, I see that my usual hotel haunt is down to 39 bucks a night for that week. Does a BCD double as a flak jacket?

BTW, just wasted a bunch of time at Wikipedia's entry on "tides". *Way* more interesting than I would ever have guessed. I always love learning about stuff that Gallileo had wrong. :D

Kevin

A few shots from yesterday's dive:

seahorse110514-01.JPG

seahorse110514-02.JPG

Until I hit "reply" and noticed the "name" of the first two pics, I had *no* idea what I was looking at. With the second one, the movie "The Tingler" came to mind, and I "thought" I might be looking at a pair of particularly weird looking nudi's. Pretty cool.

Kevin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom