The case of the disintegrating latex

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kern

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I thought it was very rude, but today my seals disintegrated over the space of 2 dives. They were fine 3 weeks ago, they seemed fine this morning, but from the moment I jumped in a constant drip started & by the end of the dive it was a dribble. Second dive , dribble turned to stream & quickly to torrent. When I called the dive & returned to the boat I almost couldn't lift my feet up the rungs on the stairs. I must have emptied out 50 gallons,… at least.

So I'v almost talked my self into the DRY ADHESIVE DS LATEX SEALS as replacements. Do they have lots of flex, can a cluts really do it?

Is it still possible to get the original style replacement seals for the Fusion? Or will I be just as happy with the new fangled version? Dear aunt, what should I do?

PS. I'm in a big rush, don't want to miss a neat dive next weekend. Just thought I'd mention that for the sympathy vote.

Did your seals turn into black goo and leave marks on your wrists? (That's what mine did.)

No comment on the dry adhesive seals. I've had my seals replaced by non-Whites repair facilities, and the seals they used are not Whites'.

Did your seals turn into black goo and leave marks on your wrists? (That's what mine did.)

That's exactly what mine did! My neck too.

No comment on the dry adhesive seals. I've had my seals replaced by non-Whites repair facilities, and the seals they used are not Whites'.

I'm considering a non whites option too. I'v a tight schedule for the weekend, so might not be able to organise it, however.

I think I'll pursue both options & see what transpires. Maybe I should consider the zip on seal ring gizmo.

I've also replaced wrist seals on my Whites Fusion with non-Whites seals. IMO, those who can replace their own DS seals have an advantage. It's worth learning to do, and it's easy. I do it with contact cement, and can start the job and be ready to dive (including drying time) in two hours. Done it in the motel room at night and made my dives the next day, no problem.

Don't know about the dry adhesives, but I've seen enough people futzing with their zip seals to know I don't want those (also don't like that you have to keep the gloves on because they are so difficult to remove and replace).

You know, this is at least the third case I know of, of the latex seals turning into goo. Whites says they use a proprietary latex, and when I posted about this before, they wrote to me and suggested that I might have exposed my seals to some type of hydrocarbon or solvent. Since I dive in one spot that is just downstream from a Superfund site, it was possible. But I doubt that's the cause for all three.

Well, yesterday I was diving in the pristine waters of a marine park, several Km offshore, Nth. coast off NSW, many, many miles from any real industry, or pop. centres. So difficult to imagine what would have caused them to deteriorate so rapidly & completely. I'm not really complaining about these seals though. I'v gotten nearly 2 years service from them. Just amazed at the way they went.

Rick, you just can't imagine what sort of cluts I am. Shot things down or blow them up, fine. Perv on creatures to find out what they're doing & why, OK. Fix things up, not so good.

I'v ordered some seals'n stuff from the US. I'll make a call or 2 & see if I can get someone to glue in some new ones in the limited time I have. The real problem is I live in the middle of nowhere, country Oz. The nearest place to even get replacement parts, in a reasonable time, is 700 Km away. But as thats where the planned dive is, there's a small chance I might work it out. Realistically though, I think I'll call next weekend off & just take the time it takes.

Seeing something similar on a few work suits, did those of you that had seals disintegrate use any sunblock or similar product on dives prior to the seals gumming up?

It seems once a year I am doing seals. They typically get gummy and I change them before they fail. Duct tape works great for those times when you know they have failed BEFORE you jump in the water.

Where is NSW? "Not Sucky Water?" We are hosting the world renowned Mavericks surf competition this weekend LOL

My next seal change is going to get one of these installed on the neck CLICKY and these for the wrists, then I can service them in the field without any glue.

If you are in the USA Dive Rite in Scuba does offer a 24 hour turn around time on drysuit repairs. Personally it is easy to just take care of seal replacement myself and I keep seals ready to go, along with glue and I built my own neck forms, just use bottles for the wrists (Nalgene works great), and a melamine scrap to do zippers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom