The case of the disintegrating latex

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ave lots of flex, can a cluts really do it?

Is it still possible to get the original style replacement seals for the Fusion? Or will I be just as happy with the new fangled version? Dear aunt, what should I do?

PS. I'm in a big rush, don't want to miss a neat dive next weekend. Just thought I'd mention that for the sympathy vote.

Anything oily or petroleum-based will eat your seals.

If you have oily skin, wash and use talcum powder before diving. Talc your seals after each use. Make sure you're not applying anything to your neck (sunscreen/oil/cream/whatever).

Also, make sure you store your suit far away from any sort of petrolium vapors. Garages are terrible places, since gasoline is always evaporating from the lawn mower, trimmer, gas can, etc.

Terry

Around here it's a toss up between getting more than 2 years service out of your seals, or the possibility of a melanoma. It's a hard one, but I might stick with sun screen for the time being.

I always use UV tech to protect them as much as posable, but I understand you can't expect them to last forever. As this is my 1st set of seals, what are others thoughts on their expected longevity.

Around here it's a toss up between getting more than 2 years service out of your seals, or the possibility of a melanoma. It's a hard one, but I might stick with sun screen for the time being.

I always use UV tech to protect them as much as posable, but I understand you can't expect them to last forever. As this is my 1st set of seals, what are others thoughts on their expected longevity.

4 years at 70 dives a year was typical seal life for me. It's even longer now that I'm diving less.... :)

Try a hat to prevent melanoma and wash your skin well before diving, at least wrists and neck. Wash the latex periodically, especially in hot, sweaty conditions.

I have other recommendations, but they would seem spammy.... :wink:

Dave C

I got more than two years and several hundred dives off the wrist seals on my Mobby's suit. I got less than 100 dives off the original Fusion wrist seals. I don't use sunscreen, either.

I'm not a good reference for neck seals, because for some odd reason, I go through them like crazy. But of all the latex seals I've had wear out, the only ones that turned to goo were the ones on the Fusion. It was really weird. Unfortunately, they decided to go during my Cave 2 class, and man, was I wet.

The Andromeda Strain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The mutated Andromeda attacks the neoprene door and hatch seals within the Wildfire complex, racing to the upper levels and the surface. The self-destruction atomic bomb is automatically armed when it detects a containment breach, triggering its detonation countdown to incinerate all exo-biological diseases. As the bomb arms, the scientists realize that given Andromeda's ability to generate matter directly from energy, the organism would feed, reproduce, and ultimately benefit from an atomic explosion."

Trouble. You got real trouble, there.

DCC

The Andromeda Strain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The mutated Andromeda attacks the neoprene door and hatch seals within the Wildfire complex, racing to the upper levels and the surface. The self-destruction atomic bomb is automatically armed when it detects a containment breach, triggering its detonation countdown to incinerate all exo-biological diseases. As the bomb arms, the scientists realize that given Andromeda's ability to generate matter directly from energy, the organism would feed, reproduce, and ultimately benefit from an atomic explosion."

Trouble. You got real trouble, there.

DCC

Trouble, no, I don't got no troubles at all. In fact, I'v just organised to have the offending infected seals removed & disposed of in the prescribed manor. I don't think any nukes were involved? And new seals glued in on Friday. With a little luck I still may get to the Encounter on Saturday. :cool2:

My better late than never new years resolutions; from now on, no lotions or potions on the delicate face & hands until after dives. Get rid of baseball cap, get broad brimmed hat, pull down over ears. Move washing station away from the side of the garage. Thats a big black tub beside a tap. Use more talc. Look for Tribolube latex protectant.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom