The best regulator out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaKeith001

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
As a noobie, I have a dacor pacer 2. They dont make it anymore but it is so simple but it just feels restrictive to me.

Looking for a new reg set up, but the big question is WHICH ONE TO GET??? Atomic? aqua lung? scubapro? mares? etc....

Trying to get people opinions on what to get. Which one do you use? Cost? Maintenance cost? overall performance? Balanced or un-balanced etc.

To many choices....lol :popcorn:

It depends on the type of diving you plan on doing now and in the future. My vote would be for an balanced regulator.

You are paying for the brand when you buy atomic or scubapro. Also atomic's have the swiveled 2nd stage. Hog's D1 regulator is touted as a good regulator, you can also find other regulators that also perform well. Come up with what type of diving you are planning on doing and come up with a budget for how much you want to spend.

Temperature determines price when it comes to underwater gear. How cold will you go? Then, you can look according to your budget.

Atomic T2X

When only the BEST will do!

There is no such thing as "the best regulator." There are many very good regs in the marketplace. Some manufacturers have a biennial or annual reg servicing interval that needs to be maintained in order to keep the warranty in effect. Some companies have policies in place for customers who accidentally/intentionally miss a year or two of servicing to get back on the free-overhaul-parts-for-life program. Whether you get your parts for free or not, you will have to pay labor charges. "Inspect and adjust" servicing for an entire reg setup (one first stage + two second stages) can cost $0-$30, whereas a complete overhaul/rebuild for the entire reg setup can cost $50-$125.

First, figure out which brand(s) of regs your local trustworthy reg tech can repair. To a large extent, reg performance is determined by how skillful the reg tech is at tuning the reg.

Second, as Stu S. recommended, determine whether you will be diving in "cold" water (below 50°F). Certain regs have features (sealed first stage, heat exchangers on second stage, etc.) that minimize the likelihood of freeflow in such conditions.

Third, determine the low- and high-end range of your budget. If you are on a tight budget, I'm sure people here could recommend great value regs.

You can spend less than $200 and get an extremely reliable and well proven regulator that is easy and inexpensive to service. I contend that a less experienced diver in particular is actually safer using an unbalanced first stage regulator because it provides much more warning when you run low on air.

If what you really want is bragging rights, go for this baby, unless you are planning on deeper than 1,600'.

Kirby Morgan Dive Systems | Products | Full Face Mask Regulators

BTW, that is an unbalanced second stage with a balanced flow-through piston first stage.

As most of you have asked me what kind of diving I will be doing???? I plan on doing wreck diving. So more of Tec diving I guess.

I have heard nothing but the best about atomic, but there are so many models. Thats what makes it more interesting.

Thanks for everyones help so far!!

Check out the HOG regs if you're on a budget. If not, Scubapro Mk17 G250V is very good. Apeks are also very popular in the Tec world.

Back
Top Bottom