Thank heavens for PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Instead of simply beefing about an agencies lower standards, why don't we start offering suggestions to improve situations? Right now, I don't see where the comments flying around lately are doing any more than raising people's blood pressure and fanning flames. I realize that most of the other boards are far worse than this, but still. There has been very little meaningful (read CONSTRUCTIVE) criticism here.

To a layman like me, this all reads like "my agency is better than yours." Well, so what? Give us realistic ideas on how to improve them so that the vacation divers won't be left out.

I mean I didn't dive for years because I thought that you had to be able to graduate Navy Dive school (notice I didn't say SEAL's, I am well aware of the difference) to be worthy to call yourself a diver. I needed a basic course and some dives.

I have seen people that go through the "high standards" courses that are so full of themselves that they quit learning. Is that what we want? I have seen people like me get out that don't stir up the bottom, that don't go up and down like an express elevator, and maybe didn't go through all the exercises that are taught by other agencies but will never be satisfied with their buoyancy and diving knowledge. In the end, the key is that we are always learning. If someone learns that, they will learn to dive properly regardless of who or what organization initially trains them. They will seek out information on how to dive better as I have and most of the people on this board have.

Darwin will claim the arrogant person who quits learning in good time just as he will remove someone from the gene pool who has no common sense and is stupid in something else.

Let's see some realistic ideas instead of insults and one-liners. We are all above this aren't we.

Now, let the debate continue...... (by the way, the two here are not the worst offenders of this by any stretch, so let's not point fingers there either. Let's point them back at ourselves.)

To DiverBrian:

We’ve seen the changes over the years and they are not impressive. And since PADI wants to talk the accolades for bringing so many divers into the fold; they deserve the critiques as well. There is a historical timeline from the late 80’s through the 90’s where you could watch the qualifications needed, the skills required and the performance level demanded drop slowly. I did a PADI crossover when I worked in the Caribbean and the CD that did our exam could not hold a hover to save his life, the qualified a guy that also could not. I opened my eyes at that point.

Get used to it, offering possible changes on forums is a waste so far as real change is concerned; PADI does not think they have a problem, so they are not looking to change. We’ve done 8 rescues this summer off our dive boat; every single one was a PADI diver.

To DrewSailbum:

Your comments about “Low Standards?” had merit until you mentioned San Diego State. You really should do some research. As a SDSU alumni I can account for exactly how my school became a PADI institution. They wanted to cut cost. It was about 1992 I believe, and Mark Flahan was running the NAUI program there. He did a lot of the training in conjunction with his Reasearch Diving program he teaches for the Biology Department. They stopped funding the program as it was not a money maker and put the outside contract up for bid. The winner: he who would charge the students the least: a PADI Pro.

FYI: Universities usually give 3 full semester units for a NAUI course, as opposed to the 1 they give for a PADI course.

As for DSAT hiring Professional Program Designers, no doubt. I wonder if any of them know how to dive, understand the most salient issues regarding dive training or have ever actually taught a course? To my knowledge NAUI does not employ such people, they don’t have to. Divers like Dr. Bruce Weinke and educator/divers like Mark Flahan come to them.

Ex PADI Member 94257

I earned 3 semester units for....that's right SURFING 3 days a week. Apparently more value than a PADI course. Of course you do have to be able to swim without fins to surf....

Wood once bubbled...
As for DSAT hiring Professional Program Designers, no doubt. I wonder if any of them know how to dive, understand the most salient issues regarding dive training or have ever actually taught a course? To my knowledge NAUI does not employ such people, they don’t have to. Divers like Dr. Bruce Weinke and educator/divers like Mark Flahan come to them.

Ex PADI Member 94257

Slinging a little mud? Not your favorite agency so the program designers don't know how to dive? Based upon what facts?

So who are some of the people designing courses at DSAT? **

Drew Richardson holds undergraduate degrees in "Oceanographic Technology and Environmental Science, with an emphasis in the Marine sciences, and a graduate degree in Business Administration. He is currently a doctoral candidate in Education at NOVA Southeastern University."

Bob Wohlers holds a Masters degree in Education. One of his undergraduate majors was Marine Biology. He "earned a California State Secondary Teaching Credential from University of California at Irvine and subsequently taught high school and college marine biology."

Karl Shreeves has more than 30 years diving experience. He is a technical diver and PADI Course Director.

Lesley Alexander holds "two Masters Degrees in Education, an Elementary Teacher Education Program credential and a Ph. D. in Curriculum and Instructional Design."

And there are many others who contribute their talents in putting together instructional materials adn designing educational programs, for PADI and other companies outside the diving industry.

The only reason I brought ACE up is that Walter tossed out a flip and patently false proposal that "PADI doesn't teach their instructors how to teach."

The statement regarding universities accepting PADI courses for credit is based upon various universites' commitment to the recommendations of the American Council of Education. It is not based upon the particular agency affiliation of scuba instructors at specific universities. The point is that PADI courses, wherever they are taught, may qualify a student for academic credit at many universities.

The review of PADI programs by ACE demonstrates that an agency outside of the scuba industry has looked at PADI programs. Having done so ACE recommended that credit be granted in recognition of academic accomplishment in completing these courses. One of the courses of note is the PADI IDC - where PADI teaches people how to teach scuba in a manner that has gained recogintion from an independent body for educational validity.

** DSAT bios can be found here.

Hey Drew,

Can I offer some advice to you? Ignore this thread and move on...really....it is just not worth the effort, as no matter how substaniated your posts are.....the evil doers will always rebuff it.

Really....your wasting your time....lets go somewhere else and play...ok?

Jason

Great fun, I find it amazing that the bashers have time to dive ...
Or could it be that some just so dislike PADI that they aren't willing to accept the analysis performed by an outside agency and the resulting recommendations?
Of course. If you really devoutly hate something, no sense of proportion or moderation will change your mind. Hate is a very irrational feeling.
Slinging a little mud?
Personally, I don't like slinging mud. The sheer rubbish and the confusion prevailing the anti-PADI camp always gets in the way of reason. Reason makes for safer diving.

Without mentioning names, I will say this, however:

There is a major U.S. recreational agency with a technical arm - not PADI - where technical instruction certificates have been issued in at least two countries in Europe by someone who isn't even a technical diver himself, let alone a technical instructor!

As I said, I won't mention names because

(a) one shouldn't sling mud.
(b) I believe it's being dealt with personally by the Chairman of this agency's Technical Training Advisory Board.
(c) this is an agency I have a lot of respect for, just like for PADI ...

Hopefully, they'll get it sorted. It's actually quite a major scandal.

My point is, ALL agencies have problems with ALL sorts of issues, ranging from non-compliance with standards to rogue instructors to whatever.

PADI is in general no better but neither any worse than any other recreational agency out there. In general, I think they ALL do a good job of making newbie divers of non-divers, i.e. getting them into the water safely.

The proof?

Accident and incident figures have remained constant for many years and are in many cases decreasing, yet the number of divers have exploded over the last decades. And yes, PADI is larger than all other agencies combined worldwide.

Make of this what you will. I won't argue further with the zealots. There's no point.

Walt... with all due respect... and in my humble opinion...

Life is about making and taking choices...

You don't like PADI? you don't have to deal with them which is probably the case...

But let's get one fact straight... PADI has certified over 10,000,000 divers? well this should tell you something...

Are they a business? yes they are, and they NEVER CLAIMED OTHERWISE!!!

If you don't like American Airlines... Fly Eastern Airlines... If you don't like PADI... do Naui...

Over 10000000 can't be wrong and this is the fact at hand...

So what if someone wants to enjoy a dive while on a 4 day Holiday at the Maldives? what is wrong with that? I think everyone should dive and enjoy the wonders of the sea...

When Cars were first invented who would have thought everyone could own one? But the fact at hand is that you can buy a Hugo or a McLaren F1... its your choice... you are a driver.

It is a person's choice to do a Discover Scuba dive in the Maldives or become a full fledge professional such as a PADI Course Director...

Is a Naui diver better than a PADI Diver? well sorry, I can't say as I don't personally know them all...

Don't judge a race or a country by a bunch of individuals you know...

You don't know me... but I do the best at being the professional I am.... I chose PADI and not any other agency!

Hi Chiara... you an instructor now?

Hi,

I'm new to diving and am in the middle of taking an OW/AOW class in Israel at the moment. With all the talks of low standards with PADI, I was wondering what's missing from the course I am taking. My instructor is an MD with 10 years experience as a dive instructor. The diving school is both certified by PADI and the Israel diving authority. I've been doing the OW in the med and will go down to the red sea for the AOW on a weekend.

What would be missing from the curriculum and training? I asked for a PADI certificate, as it is well known everywhere. The school is certified by a couple of other agencies. I can basically get another certificate with no change in the curriculum (maybe the theoretical exam will change?)

I am missing something?

T.

Back
Top Bottom