Thank heavens for PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ElectricZombie once bubbled...

Exactly. The SCUBA industry would be much better off without PADI.

Take a look at "Sport Diver" magazine and then try to say that PADI is doing good for the industry.

now that is VERY narrow minded in my opinion. PADI has a place in diving and we all owe a little bit to them since they do a great job in pulling in a lot of people who would not do it otherwise.

The biggest thing PADI does for the industry is give it the econemy of scale which I appreciate every time I buy equipment. Do you really think there would be as much choice in equipment if it were not fot the masses that PADI pulls into diving. I agree a lot of this is low end BUT a lot of low end divers that start with PADI become high end divers eventually (although usually through other organizations) OR you have the people with more money then brains buying high end equipment. Some call this a bad thing but it does increase choice for me and in the end (although some would argue) decreases the cost of the equipment (supply and demand at work).

I am a NAUI instructor and I wish NAUI had the market presence PADI does but they don't. Some would argue that NAUI and the others would pick up the people PADI get if PADI did not exist. This may be true BUT then whom ever did would be looked upon just as PADI is today because to become a marketing based compay like PADI you have to make compromises as PADI did over time.

And for those that say we don't need the masses diving I say wake up. You like to be able to buy the equipment you need when you need it (either on line or at your LDS) then the masses are what make that possible. If the only people diving were diehards then they would eventually die off wih no new diehards to backfill.

be safe!
Pete

coliseum once bubbled...
aren't they developing good services? aren't they promoting safe diving?

No, not at all.

Very nice link....

Let me go ahead and take a pop shot at it though just because I was thinking of what other members might say...

Lets see how I do...

'Well thats fine Norcal diver, but maybe PADI wouldn't need a Project Aware program if they taught their students proper bouyancy. If their own students would stay off of the bottom then we wouldnt need to save the reefs'

I'm sure I could name atleast5 members who nodded in affirmation to my mock response.

NICE

SOME PEOPLES CHILDREN

Walter once bubbled...
No, but that's not the complaint. PADI doesn't have decent standards. PADI doesn't teach their instructors how to teach. ...

That's odd. The American Council of Education doesn't agree. College credit for PADI courses is given by major universities on the recommendation of the American Council of Education. Credit comes as transfer credit regardless of where the PADI course was taken.

Why? Because PADI courses are structured by professionals with educational validity determined by testing.

I guess the ACE and many Universities also have low standards...

at universities like Johns Hopkins, Boston College, Boston University, The University of Wisconsin, Rutgers, Penn State, Cal Poly, The Ohio University, University of Oklahoma, San Diego State, American University, Florida State University, University of Iowa... and many more.

Or could it be that some just so dislike PADI that they aren't willing to accept the analysis performed by an outside agency and the resulting recommendations?

So I can get PE credits for taking a PADI class. I also got PE credits for playing ping pong. Not exactly an impressive credential.

A good friend of mine is a department chair at a university with years of experience teaching and a PHD in education. He is also a dive instructor and familiar with PADI. His opinion of PADI is very similar to mine.

the PADI IDC is accepted as Education Department credits at many universities.

PADI places emphasis on structuring learning so that key points are presented in many different ways. This is an aspect of program design that arises from the professional curriculum designers who design PADI programs.

PADI's corporate affiliate, DSAT employs Masters and Phd level instructional program designers. Any other agencies do the same?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom