Thailand in May: Ko Tao, Lanta or Phi Phi??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cadivin

Registered
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions on best place to go in May. We are heading to Thailand for 8 days, arriving May 1.

Looking to get in 3-4 days of diving, plus wouldn't mind some hiking and just hanging at the beach. Wife and I are both certified with about 15-20 dives.

Question is what's best this time of year?

Ko Tao, Ko Lanta or Ko Phi Phi? Might be interested in a short liveaboard.

Any suggestions would be great!

Last question: Any problem with just showing up on one of these islands and figuring out hotel and diveshop when we get there? Or should we book something in advance?

Thanks!

Koh Tao was unaffected by the tsunami so the diving there is probably still very good. There are a lot of dive classes and newbies diving on the sites and many of them can get crowded. However, I enjoyed the week I spent there a few years back.

I did not see any diving activity on Koh Lanta when I was there for four days. I was staying a fair bit away from the towns, so this was not unexpected. My understanding is that most of the sites the dive operators go to are around Phi Phi or the same ones operators on Phi Phi go to.

I absolutely loved Phi Phi and spent two weeks there, largely diving. Had a number of great dives (and one of my worst as well- the King Cruiser at the wrong point in the tidal cycle, my DM didn't read the tide charts properly). I don't know what it is like after the serious devastation during the tsunami. I hope it has recovered somewhat.

Dr. Bill

I just got back from koh Tao on saturday.Did eleven dives in three days and every one of them were great.Unfortunately did not see any whale sharks or mantas but was lucky enough to see a marlin on the fifth dive. The similian islands are better but season will close mid may so you'll just make that. Day trips available from phuket but liveaboard best option

May is the month the weather changes, so weather conditions are unpredictable in both the Gulf (Koh Tao) and the Andamna Sea (Phi Phi-Lanta).

The diving is far better at the Andaman Coast, so in that respect your choice should be easy. Also the tsunami hardly affected the diving.

If you also want to do a liveaboard, your best choice would be Phuket. Although the options during May will be more limited than in April, there will be some different options.

I would not worry about booking in advance, simply show up and sort things out when you get there.

Have fun.

drbill:
Koh Tao was unaffected by the tsunami so the diving there is probably still very good. There are a lot of dive classes and newbies diving on the sites and many of them can get crowded. However, I enjoyed the week I spent there a few years back.

I did not see any diving activity on Koh Lanta when I was there for four days. I was staying a fair bit away from the towns, so this was not unexpected. My understanding is that most of the sites the dive operators go to are around Phi Phi or the same ones operators on Phi Phi go to.

I absolutely loved Phi Phi and spent two weeks there, largely diving. Had a number of great dives (and one of my worst as well- the King Cruiser at the wrong point in the tidal cycle, my DM didn't read the tide charts properly). I don't know what it is like after the serious devastation during the tsunami. I hope it has recovered somewhat.

Dr. Bill

King Cruiser wasn't affected by the tsunami, inspite of rumours at the time it had rolled.

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/17848/cat/500/page/1

Hadn't heard the rumors about the King Cruiser and the tsunami. The day before my Dutch DM and I dove there, the manager of the dive shop (also a friend) had a great dive on the wreck. He read the tide charts properly!

Dr. Bill

drbill:
Hadn't heard the rumors about the King Cruiser and the tsunami. The day before my Dutch DM and I dove there, the manager of the dive shop (also a friend) had a great dive on the wreck. He read the tide charts properly!

Dr. Bill

Interesting thing about those charts, I dove KC once with little current, followed by the thing KC struck in order to sink, Anenome reef, which had harsh currents. They aren't all that far apart. The charts didn't really predict bad currents either.

Anyway when I dove the area this recent February, there wasn't much notable tsunami damage. The news coverage of Thailand's tsunami damage was way overblown by the media. In fact reports were stating Phuket was wiped out by the waves, a considerable act considering the mountain peaks are ~2000 feet high!

Early May should still be OK for diving around Phuket. We were there in late April last year, dove 8 times in 3 days (KC, Koh Doc Mai, Shark Point, Similans, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai, Richelieu Rock), and did not encounter poor visibility or bad weather. You will probably still be OK in early May.

Agree that the diving around Phuket / Phi Phi is much better than around Koh Tao (we also dove there in the same trip about 10 times in 4 days). Chumpon pinnacle is the best site around Tao, but it can get very crowded with 6-8 dive boats at a time...

I would recommend KC & Koh Doc Mai south of Phuket; and the Similans & Richelieu Rock north. Try Diego @ Dive The World if you want to set things in advance and will be based in Phuket. They arrange dive trips with most operators on the island, and have a comprehensive schedule of all their outings.

www.dive-the-world.com

Have a great time!

J.

Koh Tao.

stevenl hit it on the head - The prevailing seasonal weather means the time you are going is better for the Gulf than over in the Andaman Sea area.

PS - drBill is making a bit out of the Tsunami affecting dive sites from what the dive guides on www.ocean-rover.com have said (personally, I haven't seen it since then),
but he is right on Koh Lanta not ahving much for diving. If you could find a day boat travelling South from Koh Lanta to Hin Daeng/Hin Muang then you could find some fantastic diving that rivals the Similans or Burma.

Back
Top Bottom