Best Diving in December 22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shivanit

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are going to be in Thailand for a couple weeks at the end of December and looking to get 3 days of diving in. I've got over 100 logged dives but my boyfriend is a new diver (10 dives in) so our experience levels vary greatly. We looked at a short Similan liveaboard but in talking to the dive shop in Phuket (where I got certified many years ago), they suggested that the winds at the end of December can make it so the Similans are not great and they recommended Phi Phi, particularly as the view was that the reef condition has recovered quite a bit given the lack of tourists through COVID. So the questions are: would you consider Phi Phi or somewhere else? I'm also curious on advice on dive sites specifically - any suggestions? I have read that the long(er) trip out to Hin Daeng and Hin Muang are worth it but require advanced experience so wonder if you'd agree with that (given my boyfriends new-ish experience), and if it is worth the long boat ride? Thanks for your help!

How about a South Andaman live aboard?

I wouldn't recommend any liveaboards for someone with around 10 dives...they are unlikely to get much appreciation from such diving while still honing their basic diving skills. Day trips from Chalong to Rachas, Phi-Phi, King Cruiser, etc. are an option and the diving very easy (especially Racha Islands [except South Tip]). I believe King Cruiser and Shark Point/Anemone Reef can also be done as day trips from Ko Phi-Phi. Hin Daeng/Muang and Koh Haa are done as day trips from Koh Lanta (and also not recommended for beginners). My Best advice is to get an experienced diver boyfriend 😆

My wife’s first dives after her OW Cert were on a South Andaman live aboard. She did fine. Of course, she had an experienced diver boyfriend as a buddy. Now, she’s the expert diver in the family. Here’s a list of the dives we did.

9E0FF5A0-C3CB-4964-A0C2-E9BE33313DC3.png

[edit] My wife advises that this would work only if the boyfriend were OK on air. If not, it would be too much of an inconvenience for the other divers.

Those are all local Phuket dive sites not "South Andaman," which would be Koh Haa, Ko Rok/MA, Hin Daeng/Muang, and Ko Lipe.

Those are all local Phuket dive sites not "South Andaman," which would be Koh Haa, Ko Rok/MA, Hin Daeng/Muang, and Ko Lipe.
Badi Nai and Bida Nor cannot be classified as local Phuket dive sites.
I do not recall ever seeing day trip from Phuket to those two small islands. They are best to dive from Koh Lanta or Phi Phi. So they are South Andaman.

For these guys, even a Phuket shore dive is "South Andaman".

SA-1.jpg
SA-2.jpg
SA-3.jpg

I asked my wife:

"In your mind, where does the South Andaman begin?"
"Phuket"
"So Koh Phi Phi is South Andaman?"
"Yes"

She's not a brilliant geographer, but she is a successful Thai attorney with three BAs (English, Law and Communications Science).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom