Trip Report - The Smiling Seahorse Mergui Archipelago (Myanmar)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barmaglot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
While this was my tenth trip on The Smiling Seahorse over the past four seasons, it was the first to Myanmar, so I figured I'd share some of the peculiarities of this particular route.

The Smiling Seahorse is a liveaboard, designed and operated by a French couple, Franck and Camille, built in Thailand some six years ago. It hosts up to sixteen guests per trip, and before COVID, used to run almost exclusively on the Myanmar routes, but when the epidemic forced border closures they had to switch to Thailand, going up and down Andaman Sea from Ranong and Richelieu Rock in the north, to Koh Lipe area in the south. Fortunately, this year, the border has reopened, albeit with some complications, so the Myanmar trips are once again on the itinerary.

Entering Myanmar requires a visa, which can be obtained online, but the process is somewhat involved. First you're required to purchase insurance, costing US$50 for a 15-day period. After that, you have to fill out a lengthy series of forms on a Myanmar government website, including your full travel itinerary, with flights in and out of Thailand, your accommodations in both Thailand and Myanmar, and a bunch of other stuff. The form is not set up for a 'liveaboard boat' accommodation, but The Smiling Seahorse staff assist with that by providing a hotel booking that is satisfactory to Myanmar officials. Finally, there is a visa fee of another US$50, payable online by credit card. This process is performed 2-3 weeks before departure, although in my case, it took some 26 hours from form submission to visa issuance. There is also an additional charge of US$230 per person for the purpose of diving permits - this can only be paid in cash, using completely unblemished bills. It isn't a national park fee like you'd pay in Thailand as there is absolutely no wildlife protection in the area in question (more on that later) so as I understand it, this is just some Burmese officials lining their pockets to the tune of $3k+ per trip - not an insubstantial sum in Myanmar - but, eh, their country, their rules.

In any case, after checking in at The Smiling Seahorse office in central Ranong, we proceeded, as a group, to the Thai immigration office nearby, where our passports were stamped with Thailand exit visas, and we continued on to the boat, which sailed out to Kawthoung on the Myanmar side of the border. A bunch of local officials came on board and spent some time going over the documents, but then we had to moor at a local pier (which seemed to be made entirely of rust held together with some paint) and come ashore for some face time with a clerk behind a counter in a rickety shack. With the formalities over - and our passports held by the local immigration for the duration - we set off for the overnight transit to Mergui Archipelago.

For the first couple days, I was shooting macro - luckily, I was in the group guided by Camille, who is the best small-critter spotter that I've ever encountered; if it's there, she will find it. We did encounter a large nurse shark that was resting in a cave, but I wasn't in the position for any photos.

X2NhRlS.jpeg

Snvp5mW.jpeg

xXRWcTd.jpeg

JhhQWmc.jpeg

jbyKB0N.jpeg

m8nHuEK.jpeg

dI3isH0.jpeg

7md4VUw.jpeg

c9i0T2O.jpeg

We had a medical emergency on the first day - one of the divers suffered a pulmonary embolism, so the boat had to abort the sunset/night dive and go back to land to drop him off for medical care. Fortunately, as I heard at the end of the trip, he made a full recovery.

A night dive at Square Rock yielded a plethora of subjects, including half a dozen different seahorses, a blotched ray and a pair of bamboo sharks.

mjcoXsF.jpeg

(bumped into 10 images/message limit, continuing in next post)

p1TRmp5.jpeg

6sXk2bX.jpeg

Ia80eVK.jpeg

tTv1L5I.jpeg

O8jbKoB.jpeg

An overnight transit to Black Rock signified change from macro to wide-angle, and a significant improvement in visibility. Unfortunately there were no manta or whale shark sightings, and there was a large net - completely fresh - draped over the reef.

TxYupO9.jpeg

zEv2OHP.jpeg

GZ0wcSC.jpeg

C3VQYwj.jpeg

Some hentai tentacle action.

eVSt69M.jpeg

(continued in next post)

xjiJTZ7.jpeg

Despite the best efforts of local fishermen, large schools of fish are everywhere.

ZaX9VAl.jpeg

Camille rescuing a crab that got entangled in a lost net.

7f3CKmy.jpeg

Unfortunately, Camille blew an eardrum on the third dive of the third day, so she had to sit the rest of the trip out, including a blackwater dive on that very evening.

sDWKZFa.jpeg

Unless I'm mistaken, this is a juvenile poison ocellate octopus, aka mototi blue ring octopus - note the faint blue ring under its eye.

p0VO9J1.jpeg

Lots more salps than usual were carrying passengers - small fish, shrimp, amphipods, etc.

dXRxq1a.jpeg

The next day was spent at North Twin. Fish schools abounded, but visibility dropped, and water went green-ish. There were multiple fish traps on the reef; some empty, others full of fish.

2DXKgtV.jpeg

ucaeo6w.jpeg

Franck surprised me by scheduling a second blackwater dive - usually the trips have just one, but apparently there was enough interest and opportunity for another. The first blackwater dive I had to cut short because a battery decided to leak electrolyte in one of my strobes, but this time I was able to do the full hour. There were lots, and lots, and lots, and did I mention lots of jellyfish?

dc3X7k7.jpeg

nB5b0Vm.jpeg

(continued in next post)

iwJOmHZ.jpeg

Then it was on to Western Rocky, which had numerous sites that we spent the remainder of the trip exploring.

xhUkiLg.jpeg

iJPyfeb.jpeg

ZkXW0uX.jpeg

33Fp6uB.jpeg

hMRXCv3.jpeg

mCVMLKX.jpeg

Visibility was kind of on and off; sometimes we could see the 30m+ bottom from the safety stop, sometimes just a few meters. I tried to make the most of it.

2cL7aj6.jpeg

iuxDPg6.jpeg

CgMqEEC.jpeg

(continued in next post)

There's a cave/swimthrough in one of the pinnacles, open from both ends - I hung on the end of the group to turn around and take a 'light at the end of the tunnel' shot at long exposure.
hVoqE3Q.jpeg

WOVYDtu.jpeg

EwUIq4i.jpeg

y7zrukW.jpeg

KfUzikS.jpeg

z7Yqh4Z.jpeg

Then it was the last day, and time to head home. We made the last dive mid-transit, at Volcano, where, unfortunately, there wasn't much to shoot.

dby5fQU.jpeg

And back to Kawthaung, where our passports were returned, we made a mildly terrifying visit to shore by a severly overloaded longtail boat - the rust-and-paint pier was occupied by police boats, so we couldn't moor directly, and cramming 20-ish people into that longtail made it feel like it was going to flip over at any point - and then back to Ranong. Disassemble the camera, pack all the stuff, disembark from boat, get the passport stamped at the immigration office, and onto the night bus to Bangkok.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the trip. A bit miffed about mantas deciding to stay away - Black Rock gets oceanic mantas rather than the reef variety, so they come and go, and meeting them is basically a matter of luck - but the rest has been great. Despite fishing boats everywhere, fish traps on every reef, and discarded fishing nets all over, there is more reef fish - fusiliers, snappers, jacks, etc - than I've ever seen in Thailand. The coral is abundant and healthy, and smaller sharks and rays are present in decent numbers (Franck saw what seemed like a bull shark on one of his dives, but I personally missed it). Water temperature was around 26-27C, with 29-30C in the surface layers, and occasional thermoclines bringing it down to 24-25C. Jellyfish swarms were intermittent - there was one safety stop spent in a dense soup of tiny (several mm diameter) but quite stingy ones, but overall it was okay.

Hope to be back again next season.

I did a quick land tour donkey's years ago and wow never returned.
Burma is the only country in SE Asia that has made no progress whatsoever since WWII. Even the commie countries, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam are far more developed and open to visitors.

Thank you for your report and photos. IMO, diving Myanmar is problematic on several levels and from what you report seeing (and your great photos), there doesn't seem to be anything unique to the marine life to over-ride such concerns (and nets and full fish traps I can do without).

That was less than a yr ago.

Saw a few abandoned fish traps during my dives in Koh Chang recently.

LOL.
"anything unique to the marine life" !!!! What are so unique in Thailand underwater?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom