Thailand May 2022 - Sifting Through Noise.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
The short: May 3 - 9th, Avoiding cattle boats, Parks closed for season?

My wife and I (20 dives each, Advanced Open Water certified) are taking our first trip dive trip to Thailand May 3 - 9th. Haven't booked stay or outings until we get a better idea of best approach and location for a good dive experience. We've found plenty of conflicting info about cattle boats, shoulder season, inaccurate liveaboard calendars etc, and would love some direct guidance from experts in the region. We're open to liveaboards or day trips, and are ok with premiums to avoid crowds or to get out to great spots.

It seems we missed the window for Similan and Surin? Are we best doing day trips out of (X location, you tell me) to improvise due to weather or crowds? Are we better off on East coast, Ko Tao, for these dates or go West coast Phuket area?

Many advanced thanks for guidance!

Similans are normally open until May 15. But the last few weeks are a gamble as far as weather conditions. I did a liveaboard on the last week of the season 4 years ago and swells from a big storm in the Bay of Bengal limited our dives to a few spots in the lee of the islands. We were supposed to go to Richelieu Rock as part of the trip, but that got cancelled. Conditions were actually far milder than what I've been on off South Florida, but there a lot of inexperienced divers aboard and the operator didn't think they were up to it. Rightfully so from the one time we had to do pickups in 2' swells.

It was calmer on the east side of Phuket for the day trips from Chalong pier. But we did get a couple of days of green water which means poor visibility by tropical standards.

Look through the posts in this subforum and you'll find more info on Phuket. There's not as much on Koh Tao though. I haven't been there, but it appears to be a better bet in May as far as the weather goes.

I’ve not been to Phuket so can’t comment.

Koh Tao 5 times. Contrary to what many say there are some descent dive sites. Plenty of ops to chose from. My preference is Master Divers, not the cheapest but I like their attitude to safety.

Koh Lipe 2 times. A more laidback place. Now my preferred location. But with the current COVID entry restrictions I’m considering the Philippines again.

It’s been a while since we were on Koh Tao (9 years), but with only 20 dives under your belt I think it’s a good spot for you. I remember lots of colourful fish and corals + warm water.
We stayed and dove with “Asia divers” I’ve got no idea if they’re still around, back then they were fine.

We’ve done a lob from Phuket in March/April and it was great, but I’ve heard it’s very different in June (not sure about May) with big waves both on departure and trying to get back into the boat.

The short: May 3 - 9th, Avoiding cattle boats, Parks closed for season?

My wife and I (20 dives each, Advanced Open Water certified) are taking our first trip dive trip to Thailand May 3 - 9th. Haven't booked stay or outings until we get a better idea of best approach and location for a good dive experience. We've found plenty of conflicting info about cattle boats, shoulder season, inaccurate liveaboard calendars etc, and would love some direct guidance from experts in the region. We're open to liveaboards or day trips, and are ok with premiums to avoid crowds or to get out to great spots.

It seems we missed the window for Similan and Surin? Are we best doing day trips out of (X location, you tell me) to improvise due to weather or crowds? Are we better off on East coast, Ko Tao, for these dates or go West coast Phuket area?
There is no guarantee on weather especially near the end of the season.
I have done a few LoB to Similan but always on Jan/Feb.
Day trip from Chalong Peer(stay close to it to avoid getting up too early) is very ordinary and "cattle boat" is an issue(experienced it once) but you might find it difficult to avoid. End of season = fewer divers, Covid = few tourists = even fewer divers.

Koh Tao. Getting there is tedious from either Bangkok or Phuket.
Your arrival time on either Bangkok or Phuket is very important to determine the total travelling time required to get to Koh Tao.

Another option is Koh Lanta.

Get the Thailand Pass if you have not done so asap because it will take at least a wk to get it.

amazing. big thanks to all of you for chipping in your thoughts. helped a ton.

Koh Tao. Getting there is tedious from either Bangkok or Phuket.
I've been to Tao four times now, and the best way of getting there from Bangkok that I've found is the overnight train. You board it around 7-8 PM, sleep in an actual bed (rather than a bus seat) overnight, arrive in Chumphon around 5AM and get on the first ferry to Tao, getting there by 11 AM or thereabouts.

I've been to Tao four times now, and the best way of getting there from Bangkok that I've found is the overnight train. You board it around 7-8 PM, sleep in an actual bed (rather than a bus seat) overnight, arrive in Chumphon around 5AM and get on the first ferry to Tao, getting there by 11 AM or thereabouts.
That is my dream to make it into Bangkok early enough to catch the train. Unfortunately I end up on the Bus/ferry route.

That is my dream to make it into Bangkok early enough to catch the train. Unfortunately I end up on the Bus/ferry route.
Right now, the test & go rules state that you must proceed from the airport to a SHA+ hotel within five hours' travel time, using a prearrange vehicle on a sealed route, i.e. if you're flying into Bangkok, you're spending a night in a Bangkok hotel anyway.

Right now, the test & go rules state that you must proceed from the airport to a SHA+ hotel within five hours' travel time, using a prearrange vehicle on a sealed route, i.e. if you're flying into Bangkok, you're spending a night in a Bangkok hotel anyway.
And that’s the reason I went to the Philippines, and my next trip in June is Mexico.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom