Trip Report MV Bavaria: Similan Islands, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai, Richelieu Rock, and Surin Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimmingpooldivein

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Overview
Dive Report: Similan Islands, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai, Richelieu Rock, and Surin Island
Liveaboard: MV Bavaria (7D/6N; route is called "Trip C")
Booking company: liveaboard.com
When: October, 2022

(Thank you, as always, to the entire community for helping me research what I had wanted to dive and how!)

Review of travel month, October
The Similan Islands National Park only opens up for diving mid-October. The dry season, which is the dive season, starts in October and ends in March. Before the dry season is the wet season, with October receiving the most rainfall in the year. There are pros and cons to going this early in the season.

Pros: There are lots of liveaboard boats that go to these sites during peak season (about Dec to Feb). It can feel pretty crowded above water with all the boats, and it can definitely get crowded underwater. I got a small taste of that during one of our dives: the dive site had divers from 3 other boats as well, and there were just too many people underwater. And so going early, like I did, helps with more peaceful dives.

Cons: For the first half of our trip, it was very rainy and a bit cold getting out of the wetsuit. And the choppy water required us to cancel one of our night dives. Although this was my first time going, there was not as much marine life as I anticipated at most dive sites, which made the experience slightly disappointing. One of the dive guides (10+ year tenure) believed it was due to the bad weather the week before, which temporarily pushed a lot of fish away from the dive sites. Lastly, whale sharks & manta rays come later in the season, but they're rare to see, and I've already seen them, so this was not a priority for me.

If I went again, I would go on/after November, but definitely not during holidays, so I can avoid crowds.

Review of dive sites
Although these dive sites are listed as some of the best in the world, they were a bit underwhelming. As stated above, it could be attributes to arriving too early in the season (as one dive guide said). Another reason, as I heard from others when back on land, is the overfishing of the area. But I still did enjoy my dives as much as I could! In my opinion, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai, Richelieu Rock, and Surin Island are strictly better dive sites than Similan Islands. I do recommend visiting both, but if you are strapped for time, skip Similan Islands. (MV Bavaria has a trip specific to just those sites I recommended.)

Biggest fish highlights were several blacktip sharks (during both daytime and night dives); tigertail seahorse; pharaoh cuttlefish; schools of giant trevally; school of chevron barracuda; two big eye jacks mating; banded sea kraits (sea snakes); mantis shrimp; nudibranchs; worms; and wonderful night dives.

Review of dive operator, MV Bavaria
The crew were all fantastic people. I believe the ratio was about 2 passengers to 1 employee. They were extremely helpful, knowledgeable, and accommodating, to the point that the dive helpers remembered who's fins belonged to who! Food was delicious with a different meal every single time. The boat itself (rooms, common area, dive deck, sun deck) was fine. No problems with the rental equipment, except for the wetsuits which were very worn.

Once during the trip, there was a power spike to the outlets, and some people's power cords got fried. I did not hear of anyone's actual equipment getting fried [if equipment was even plugged in during that power spike].

I felt mostly safe throughout all the dives, but there are a few things I should mention. First, when the dive site's entry requires jumping from the boat, there's a ladder on the left & right side, but there's also this big grate in between that's attached to the boat that swings up & down. The choppier the water, the more it swings (i.e. not tied down). (This picture https://thailandliveaboards.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/peterpan-stern-1030x686.jpeg is of a different boat, but it kinda shows what I'm talking about.) Jumping in and getting your leg or foot stuck in there would've hurt a lot. Basically, there was no fully safe way to enter the water.

Second, during our 5 meter safety stop, even though the guide's SMB was on the surface, a dinghy that belonged to another liveaboard drove right over us - not safe at all. Additionally, the SMB got attached to their dinghy, and we had to use a knife to cut the rope. Our guide did visit their boat afterwards via our own dinghy, and the other boat apologized and replaced his SMB.

Lastly, the operators never explained Man Overboard procedures. And I later discovered that at least 1 passenger on the trip did not know the procedures.

Regarding price point, I didn't look at the price of other similar liveaboards, but I would say this was priced fairly.

Review of booking company, liveaboard.com
I actually prefer booking directly with the liveaboard operator, but as I couldn't find MV Bavaria's official homepage, I booked through liveaboard.com. (I eventually found the official page: Loma Diving Adventure Khao Lak - Tauchen und Tauchsafaris in Thailand und Myanmar (Burma) .) To my surprise, it was totally fine working with liveaboard.com. They were (mostly) replying within a day to all requests. I did need to call once due to lack of response - an operator picked up straight away, found my emails, and either answered my questions them on the spot or followed up later with the answers. I believe the price difference between the official page and liveaboard.com was either the same or negligible.

Happy diving!!!

Overview
Dive Report: Similan Islands, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai, Richelieu Rock, and Surin Island
Liveaboard: MV Bavaria (7D/6N; route is called "Trip C")
Booking company: liveaboard.com
When: October, 2022

(Thank you, as always, to the entire community for helping me research what I had wanted to dive and how!)

Review of travel month, October
The Similan Islands National Park only opens up for diving mid-October. The dry seaon, which is the dive season, starts in October and ends in March. Before the dry season is the wet season, with October receiving the most rainfall in the year. There are pros and cons to going this early in the season.

Pros: There are lots of liveaboard boats that go to these sites during peak season (about Dec to Feb). It can feel pretty crowded above water with all the boats, and it can definitely get crowded underwater. I got a small taste of that during one of our dives: the dive site had divers from 3 other boats as well, and there were just too many people underwater. And so going early, like I did, helps with more peaceful dives.

Cons: For the first half of our trip, it was very rainy and a bit cold getting out of the wetsuit. And the choppy water required us to cancel one of our night dives. Although this was my first time going, there was not as much marine life as I anticipated at most dive sites, which made the experience slightly disappointing. One of the dive guides (10+ year tenure) believed it was due to the bad weather the week before, which temporarily pushed a lot of fish away from the dive sites. Lastly, whale sharks & manta rays come later in the season, but they're rare to see, and I've already seen them, so this was not a priority for me.

If I went again, I would go on/after November, but definitely not during holidays, so I can avoid crowds.

Review of dive sites
Although these dive sites are listed as some of the best in the world, as stated above, they were a bit underwhelming, possibly because I went too early in the season, and the stormy weather drove the fish away (as one of the dive guides said). But I still did enjoy my dives as much as I could! In my opinion, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai, Richelieu Rock, and Surin Island are strictly better dive sites than Similan Islands. I do recommend visiting both, but if you are strapped for time, skip Similan Islands. (MV Bavaria has a trip specific to just those sites I recommended.)

Biggest fish highlights were several blacktip sharks (during both daytime and night dives); tigertail seahorse; pharaoh cuttlefish; schools of giant trevally; school of chevron barracuda; two big eye jacks mating; banded sea kraits (sea snakes); mantis shrimp; nudibranchs; worms; and wonderful night dives.

Review of dive operator, MV Bavaria
The crew were all fantastic people. I believe the ratio was about 2 passengers to 1 employee. They were extremely helpful, knowledgeable, and accommodating, to the point that the dive helpers remembered who's fins belonged to who! Food was delicious with a different meal every single time. The boat itself (rooms, common area, dive deck, sun deck) was fine. No problems with the rental equipment, except for the wetsuits which were very worn.

Once during the trip, there was a power spike to the outlets, and some people's power cords got fried. I did not hear of anyone's actual equipment getting fried [if equipment was even plugged in during that power spike].

I felt mostly safe throughout all the dives, but there are two things I should mention. First, when the dive site's entry requires jumping from the boat, there's a ladder on the left & right side, but there's also this big grate in between that's attached to the boat that swings up & down. The choppier the water, the more it swings (i.e. not tied down). (This picture https://thailandliveaboards.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/peterpan-stern-1030x686.jpeg is of a different boat, but it kinda shows what I'm talking about.) Jumping in and getting your leg or foot stuck in there would've hurt a lot. Basically, there was no fully safe way to enter the water.

Second, during our 5 meter safety stop, even though the guide's SMB was on the surface, a dinghy that belonged to another liveaboard drove right over us - not safe at all. Additionally, the SMB got attached to their dinghy, and we had to use a knife to cut the rope. Our guide did visit their boat afterwards via our own dinghy, and the other boat apologized and replaced his SMB.

Regarding price point, I didn't look at the price of other similar liveaboards, but I would say this was priced fairly.

Review of booking company, liveaboard.com
I actually prefer booking directly with the liveaboard operator, but as I couldn't find MV Bavaria's official homepage, I booked through liveaboard.com. (I eventually found the official page: Loma Diving Adventure Khao Lak - Tauchen und Tauchsafaris in Thailand und Myanmar (Burma) .) To my surprise, it was totally fine working with liveaboard.com. They were (mostly) replying within a day to all requests. I did need to call once due to lack of response - an operator picked up straight away, found my emails, and either answered my questions them on the spot or followed up later with the answers. I believe the price difference between the official page and liveaboard.com was either the same or negligible.

Happy diving!!!
Thank you for sharing. I am heading with them in March. Anything you brought that made life easier on the boat? How are they equipped to handle camera equipment?

The dry seaon, which is the dive season, starts in October and ends in March. Before the dry season is the wet season, with October receiving the most rainfall in the year
🤔

One of the dive guides (10+ year tenure) believed it was due to the bad weather the week before, which temporarily pushed a lot of fish away from the dive sites.
😆

Can see all these at the local Phuket day dive sites.

a dinghy that belonged to another liveaboard drove right over us - not safe at all. Additionally, the SMB got attached to their dinghy, and we had to use a knife to cut the rope
Scary for sure...first time I've ever heard of this happening. Always remember the most dangerous time of any dive is when you are on or near the surface!

Similans liveaboards are a mixed bag as you describe...often crowded and sometimes the marine life isn't really that great. I have a hard time recommending them but everyone has heard of them and the operators push them so it is what it is. I much prefer the Southern Andaman sites of Koh Haa, Hin Daeng/Muang, and Ko Lipe. The local Phuket sites, along with Ko Phi-Phi are good value and can see just about anything the Similans/Surin has to offer if you mix up the sites.

Similan is head and shoulder above anything the local sites in Phuket can offer.
Dive sites in Phuket offer poor value for money except to those who have no inclination to travel to Koh Lanta/Lipe/Similan. Even Koh Tao is better than Phuket, Sail Rock and Chumphon Pinnacle simple wipe the floor with any from Phuket.

Phuket is the ONLY place that I had experienced "cattle boat" in whole SE Asia.

There are reputable operators to Similan.

Thank you for sharing. I am heading with them in March. Anything you brought that made life easier on the boat? How are they equipped to handle camera equipment?
No worries!! In terms of extra things to bring:
  1. Have something to tap on your tank, like a rod or flashlight, just in case you need to get the attention of your group.
  2. International power converter for outlets.
  3. 500 Baht in cash for park fees.
  4. Due to the power surge I mentioned, never charge your equipment directly via a power outlet. Instead, charge your equipment via a power bank, and charge your power bank via the power outlet. That'll give you protection for your more valuable electronics.
The water will be very warm, but if you are prone to cold, they have [very worn] 3mm full body wetsuits and 2mm shorties to rent.

I hope you enjoy your trip! Please post back about your experience!!

Thanks for the report. I was looking at the Bavaria in February 2023 but settled on the Smiling Seahorse as it holds eight fewer divers onboard. Also, because they seem to keep the boat out on the islands and bring people in and out by fast boat. (I may be mistaken.) Was this your experience? I noticed they seem to operate like this and wondered how it affected the trip if at all. I tend to make new buddies on these adventures and it seems a bit chaotic to have divers coming and going through the cruise.
Just curious as to your experience.

Have something to tap on your tank, like a rod or flashlight, just in case you need to get the attention of your group.
I wouldn't recommend banging an expensive dive torch against a tank as that can damage it. An aluminum pointer or inexpensive plastic ball banger attached to the tank work well.

International power converter for outlets.
I believe you mean power outlet adapter...Thailand uses the US style electric plug receptacles. You would only need an adapter if you have electronics with different plugs.

Due to the power surge I mentioned, never charge your equipment directly via a power outlet. Instead, charge your equipment via a power bank, and charge your power bank via the power outlet.
That's a good suggestion 👌 The only drawback being the low amp output from a power bank causing slow charge times.

Thanks for the report. I was looking at the Bavaria in February 2023 but settled on the Smiling Seahorse as it holds eight fewer divers onboard. Also, because they seem to keep the boat out on the islands and bring people in and out by fast boat. (I may be mistaken.) Was this your experience? I noticed they seem to operate like this and wondered how it affected the trip if at all. I tend to make new buddies on these adventures and it seems a bit chaotic to have divers coming and going through the cruise.
Just curious as to your experience.
I believe how you get to Similan Islands, Surin Islands, and all other dive sites, depends on the liveaboard's schedule and what you signed up for. For example, Bavaria has three trips related to this region (reference):

Trip #Day 1Day 2Day 3Day 4Day 5Day 6Day 7
Trip A: Similan Islands0 dives; depart via liveaboard boat4 dives4 dives2 morning dives; return via speadboat
Trip B: Koh Bon, Koh Tachai, Richelieu Rock, and Surin IslandArrive via speedboat; 2 afternoon dives4 dives4 dives2 morning dives; return via liveaboard boat
Trip C: all of the above0 dives; depart via liveaboard boat4 dives4 dives4 dives4 dives4 dives2 morning dives; return via liveaboard boat

In other words, on Days 1 to 4, everyone who purchased Trips A and C are on the liveaboard. And for Days 4 to 7, everyone who purchased Trips B and C are on the liveaboard.

On my journey (Trip C), about 18 passengers purchased Trip C, 3 passengers purchased Trip A, and 4 passengers purchased Trip B. So it was mostly the same passengers for the entire duration. Additionally, all the passengers were wonderful people, and there's plenty of downtime to chat, so I don't think this negatively affected making friends.

I hope that helps [and wasn't confusing!].

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom