Rain/Viz in May for Similan Islands via liveaboard… bad idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where2Next

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We were looking to go back to Northern Borneo and I happen to see flights from KUL to Phuket were crazy cheap. So I thought hey, why repeat northern Borneo, why not go to Thailand and see Phuket, the surrounding islands, and do some diving there! So I started doing research; the more research I am doing I’m getting concerned May is a very rainy time to be diving in the Phuket area. I’m wondering if I should save Thailand for another time and go back to my original idea of diving over on the western side of northern Borneo? But! I don’t really mind the rainy season, normally that means the land is washing into the ocean and you have bad viz, but I am wondering is that how it is on the liveaboard for the Similan Island area? Do the islands have so much dirt that it affects the diving there, or are they more rocks and whether it’s raining or not it’ll still be clear and beautiful diving. I don’t mind the rain if the diving is still good, any thoughts on this?

For reference, we’re looking at diving May 11th, four nights, four days from the Sawasdee Fasai. Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide!

I believe the Park closes at 15th May.
Western side of Borneo? Indonesia or Malaysia?
Eastern side is more well known eg Sangalaki(Indonesia), Sipadan(Malaysia).

Yes that is correct it closes on the 15th. I was looking at a trip from the 11th to the 15th.

Malaysia not Indonesia. I said western side, but I meant the eastern side, specifically over in Sipidan! However I’ve heard of some lovely diving off of Kota Kinbala too.

Yes that is correct it closes on the 15th. I was looking at a trip from the 11th to the 15th.

Malaysia not Indonesia. I said western side, but I meant the eastern side, specifically over in Sipidan! However I’ve heard of some lovely diving off of Kota Kinbala too.

KUL fly to Langkawi(diving), ferry to Koh Lipe(diving), ferry to Koh Lanta(diving) and finally ferry(short distance) + van to Phuket. Sea could be rough at that time.
I believe all the Marine Parks in east coast of Thailand are closed from 15th May.

We were looking to go back to Northern Borneo and I happen to see flights from KUL to Phuket were crazy cheap. So I thought hey, why repeat northern Borneo, why not go to Thailand and see Phuket, the surrounding islands, and do some diving there! So I started doing research; the more research I am doing I’m getting concerned May is a very rainy time to be diving in the Phuket area. I’m wondering if I should save Thailand for another time and go back to my original idea of diving over on the western side of northern Borneo? But! I don’t really mind the rainy season, normally that means the land is washing into the ocean and you have bad viz, but I am wondering is that how it is on the liveaboard for the Similan Island area? Do the islands have so much dirt that it affects the diving there, or are they more rocks and whether it’s raining or not it’ll still be clear and beautiful diving. I don’t mind the rain if the diving is still good, any thoughts on this?

For reference, we’re looking at diving May 11th, four nights, four days from the Sawasdee Fasai. Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide!
That's the last trip of the season, it's a crapshoot if it goes or not/if conditions are good or not. We went last year may 4-7
We got luckY and had a great trip, yours ??????? Only God knows.

That's the last trip of the season, it's a crapshoot if it goes or not/if conditions are good or not. We went last year may 4-7
We got luckY and had a great trip, yours ??????? Only God knows.
I totally understand it is a crapshoot on what the weather will be like. The question I am asking is, when it rains does it affect the visibility there? I don’t actually care if it’s rough or raining, I just want to know if visibility is cloudy when it rains in that area. Thx!

I totally understand it is a crapshoot on what the weather will be like. The question I am asking is, when it rains does it affect invisibility there? I don’t actually care if it’s rough or raining, I just want to know if visibility is cloudy when it rains in that area. Thx!
Very small islands in a very big ocean. I would say no. The bigger issue in my mind is storms and rough Seas causing the boat to stay inn port.

The Similans, Surin, and Richelieu Rock are far offshore and not affected by coastal storm runoff. As for diving off Kota Kinabalu, it's okay if your in the area doing other eco stuff like trekking Mount Kinabalu or visiting the Orangutan reserves but I wouldn't make a special trip only for the diving.

The Similans, Surin, and Richelieu Rock are far offshore and not affected by coastal storm runoff. As for diving off Kota Kinabalu, it's okay if your in the area doing other eco stuff like trekking Mount Kinabalu or visiting the Orangutan reserves but I wouldn't make a special trip only for the diving.
We spent a lot of time visiting several jungle lodges, exploring caves, and doing land excursions the last time we were in Borneo. This time we’re planning on only diving. I cannot enter Indonesia, but it’s my very favorite place to go diving. So I’m hoping the west coast of Malaysia will be similar. Any thoughts on my assumption?

Thanks for the runoff info, I suspected this much, just wanted some first hand info on it.

We spent a lot of time visiting several jungle lodges, exploring caves, and doing land excursions the last time we were in Borneo. This time we’re planning on only diving. I cannot enter Indonesia, but it’s my very favorite place to go diving. So I’m hoping the west coast of Malaysia will be similar. Any thoughts on my assumption?

Thanks for the runoff info, I suspected this much, just wanted some first hand info on it.
In Malaysian Borneo, I've dived the national marine park in Kota Kinabalu and Sipidan/Mabul. Sipidan/Mabul is world class. The diving in the Abdul Tunkman marine park is okay but not worth going out of the way for. I've read the diving down the coast in Miri, Sarawak, is good. Maybe research Miri diving. There is also good wreck diving in Brunei if that's your thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom