Trip Report Thailand - Phinisi Live Aboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slash and burn is pretty common in Indonesia as well.

True but so far, the fire/smoke/haze maps show Bali area as safe. I also looked at Manado area as an alternative but it's not good there either.

Maybe I should have gone to Fiji, 😄

I am pretty sure you will find a place to your liking.

Did you see any sharks at all? If so, what types and in what numbers? Thanks

I dove in Thailand last year & this year around Similan, Surin, Phuket, Phi Phi, Koh Bida Nok & Koh Ha for about 90 dives and only saw 3 Blacktip reef Sharks in Koh Bida Nok, as you see in my YouTube video, below.

The shark population in Thailand seems to be very low, in comparison to other places in the world. Based on what I have seen while diving in various dive sites around the world, I would rank them from highest to lowest numbers of sharks encountered during diving in those places, as follows:
1. Eastern Pacific (Socorro, Cocos, Malpelo & Galapagos).
2. Bahamas & Cuba.
3. Maldives
4. Indonesia (Komodo, Banda Sea, Raja Ampat)
5. GBR
6. Philippines
7. Thailand

I haven’t been in South Africa, French Polynesia & Tahiti, yet. From what I have seen in some YouTube, they may be among Bahamas, Cuba, Maldives.

Slash and burn is pretty common in Indonesia as well.
I'm aware but Bali seemed fine.

I'm aware but Bali seemed fine.
Enjoy your stay with your non diving friend.
I am definitely returning to Koh Lanta/Lipe next Jan/Feb for an extended period. It is far more easier to travel around on public transport than Bali.

Enjoy your stay with your non diving friend.
I am definitely returning to Koh Lanta/Lipe next Jan/Feb for an extended period. It is far more easier to travel around on public transport than Bali.
My non-diving friend had to cancel which left me frer to go diving. I had still planned on Thailand but the smoke deterred me.

I returned to Bali instead. I was there almost a month spent the entire time in Padang Bai. Once you reach there, traffic is no longer an issue, but must be kept in mind for one's return to the airport.

I had a fine time!

My non-diving friend had to cancel which left me frer to go diving. I had still planned on Thailand but the smoke deterred me.

I returned to Bali instead. I was there almost a month spent the entire time in Padang Bai. Once you reach there, traffic is no longer an issue, but must be kept in mind for one's return to the airport.

I had a fine time!
A month in Padang Bai and did not even go over to the Gili Islands! What is the attraction there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom