Trip Report Thailand - Phinisi Live Aboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blues Runner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ten days of incredible Thailand diving on board the Phinisi. Thirty extraordinary dives on mostly healthy diverse reef systems. Five extra pounds on the waistline after consuming five meals per day.

The Phinsi holds up to 18 divers in seven comfortable cabins. There are five double and two quad cabins. Each of the cabins has an escape hatch to the open deck directly above for emergencies. The boat hull is of heavy wood construction that provides a stable and safe dive platform.

The dive deck is comfortable. Each diver is assigned their own space for the duration of the trip. Diving is conducted from two rib tenders. The tenders are boarded from the starboard side of the vessel from a platform. Boarding can be somewhat tricky in rough conditions. Both the loading platform and tender each have two crew members assisting the divers on and off the tenders. The crew washes the diver’s wet suits, rash guards and boots after each dive. They are hung to dry on the dive deck for the next dive.

The trip consisted of two legs. The first four days were in Southern Thailand. Amazing variety of hard and soft corals plus many reef and macro specimens. The southern formations tended to be limestone based. The visibility in the south was obscured by much plankton and spawning clouding the water.

The second leg of the trip took us north along Phuket to the Similan and Surin Islands. The initial northerly trek was along large granite deposits (think magma from far below). There were some amazing boulders to see. The visibility as we headed north was mush improved 80-100 feet consistently. The water temperatures on both legs was in the 82 degree range. The highlight of the north for me were the famous Richelieu Rock pinnacles. The amount and variety of marine life was amazing. The glass minnows were chased around the pinnacles by the abundant Trevally. If you like scorpion fish you have found heaven.

The mostly Thai crew was extremely caring and safe! They made you feel as a part of their family. There was abundant food to fuel the diving and wine or cold cervezas for evening relaxation when the days diving was done. Sharing a few of my favorite photos.

The Phinisi is part of the Master Liveaboard Fleet.

Master Liveaboards - Liveaboard diving and dive travel experts

Thailand is on my must return list.

“Never enough”

phinisi.jpg

harlequin9.jpg

clown21.jpg
anemone9.jpg

picasso.jpg

Thanks for the review!
Did you do any touring before or after?
How many guides in the water, how many divers per guide?
Did the guides point out lots of stuff? Did they seem focussed on fish, critters, what?
How were the currents?
I'll be with a group on the Phinisi March 2024 for the same 10-day trip so inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks for the review!
Did you do any touring before or after?
How many guides in the water, how many divers per guide?
Did the guides point out lots of stuff? Did they seem focussed on fish, critters, what?
How were the currents?
I'll be with a group on the Phinisi March 2024 for the same 10-day trip so inquiring minds want to know!

I spent two days in Patong on the way in. Crazy busy! I spent four days at Mai Khao Beach after the liveaboard. I much preferred the atmosphere at Mai Khoa. Wonderful resorts there and the beach is empty.

We were broken into four dive groups. Four to five divers per group with one dive master per group. The same divemaster remained with the group for the duration. The groups are paired based on experience and air consumption. The Thai guides were phenomenal at picking out the "good stuff"!

The currents were moderate to none for the most part. There is plenty of structure to move behind or we did drift dives in the moderate currents.

Enjoy your trip! I may do this one again!

David

The trip consisted of two legs. The first four days were in Southern Thailand. Amazing variety of hard and soft corals plus many reef and macro specimens. The southern formations tended to be limestone based. The visibility in the south was obscured by much plankton and spawning clouding the water.
Where did you dive in Southern Thailand?

Harlequin shrimp in open water!

On top of a Star Fish!

Southern itinerary attached.
You have to be extremely lucky to see a free moving Harlequin shrimp in open water.
Some dm will keep it as pet and kept it hidden somewhere, star fish is its stable diet.
Koh Bida not included in the itinerary?

Nice report...I recently did a 4 nite North Andaman trip on the Phinisi and am preparing a trip report (but you beat me to it). Was Neil the cruise director on your trip...great guy. I second all of what you said ☺️

You have to be extremely lucky to see a free moving Harlequin shrimp in open water.
Some dm will keep it as pet and kept it hidden somewhere, star fish is its stable diet.
Koh Bida not included in the itinerary?
I do not remember Koh Bida. The names begin to run together for me no matter where I am! :)

Nice report...I recently did a 4 nite North Andaman trip on the Phinisi and am preparing a trip report (but you beat me to it). Was Neil the cruise director on your trip...great guy. I second all of what you said ☺️
Neil was the Director JonnieB. He did a great job.

I do not remember Koh Bida. The names begin to run together for me no matter where I am! :)
It does not mention on the itinerary.
Did you see any black tip on the southern route? Very common in Koh Bida.

Back
Top Bottom