Thailand May 2022 - Sifting Through Noise.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well under thousand baht for a single room/cottage. NO AC/hot water required.
There are plenty of places on Koh Lanta which cost around 600B but I do expect to pay a bit more on Lipe.

I have never paid over a grand anywhere in Thailand from all my previous visit.
In my older age I prefer some luxuries. DJL do offer free accommodation if your taking a course, we paid £32 in Mar 2019.

In my older age I prefer some luxuries. DJL do offer free accommodation if your taking a course, we paid £32 in Mar 2019.
Luxury? Of course no more dorm many yrs ago.
I have done enough courses already and I believe US$25.00(B950) should be more than enough for a night.
Sterling has been under tremendous hammering at the moment.

Luxury? Of course no more dorm many yrs ago.
I have done enough courses already and I believe US$25.00(B950) should be more than enough for a night.
Sterling has been under tremendous hammering at the moment.
This is anathema to most US travelers. I gave up those types of accommodations after I served in the military 43 years ago. Even my uni dorm room had hot water. Moving to the USA changed my perspective on those things. My American wife's idea of "roughing it" is if the Ritz Carlton runs out of her favourite conditioner.

This is anathema to most US travelers. I gave up those types of accommodations after I served in the military 43 years ago. Even my uni dorm room had hot water. Moving to the USA changed my perspective on those things. My American wife's idea of "roughing it" is if the Ritz Carlton runs out of her favourite conditioner.
I was staying at "Century Lodge" in "Freak Street" in old down town Kathmandu yrs ago. And I overheard a conversation between two American ladies complaining about the place. One of them said the place was not the same as her granddaughter described. I paid US$1.00 for a single room!!!!

Even in Lonely Planet there are recommendation covering from top to budget for accommodation. Anyone still using LP?

Hahah... I've mostly stayed at DJL Backpackers Hostel whenever I go to Koh Tao. I think it's always been 300 THB since 2009. I dive with them too, so it's convenient to wake up and just walk outside and be at the dive shop. My diving trips are dive as much as possible, so morning dives, lunch, afternoon dives, rest, night dive (if available), dinner, sleep... so having accommodations next door is super convenient.

Hahah... I've mostly stayed at DJL Backpackers Hostel whenever I go to Koh Tao. I think it's always been 300 THB since 2009. I dive with them too, so it's convenient to wake up and just walk outside and be at the dive shop. My diving trips are dive as much as possible, so morning dives, lunch, afternoon dives, rest, night dive (if available), dinner, sleep... so having accommodations next door is super convenient.
Same operator but on two island(Lipe and Tao) several hundred miles away.
Thank you for the information.

This resonates, I am doing a liveaboard in December and my wife is joining afterwards.

I thought it would be a couple of weeks in some nice bungalows in the $50-70 range somehow we have managed staying at La Velo in Khao Lak, The Racha on Racha, The Phi Phi beach resort in a beach front villa and finally the Slate in Phuket, the $70 a night budget has been well and truly blown :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom