Texas Swamp Diving Team's 1st Annual Halloween Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasMike

Contributor
Reaction score
NDI Texas Swamp Diving Team 1st Annual Halloween Dive

The Neptune Divers International Texas Swamp Diving Team would like to invite its members and guests to our first Halloween Dive at Lake Travis, Oct 27 & 28. There is lots of good diving, and this will be lots of fun. Our proposed itinerary is:

Saturday, Oct 27: LCRA Mansfield Dam Park
  • Arrive at 9:00am and setup. Dive Briefing at 9:30am. Begin Diving around 10:00am.

Mansfield dam offers several submerged attractions, a large wall/ledge/grotto area, and some submerged treasures that we will try to find (rumor has it that the Great Pumpkin might hide some things for good little divers to find). Also, if you have ever wanted to play with a lift bag and recover some of your larger treasures, this will be a good opportunity.

And depending on timing, we might investigate a night dive.

I have also invited Ron Carlo, a master instructor for PADI and SDI/TDI to join us. If Ron is able to join us, he can provide a short presentation on what Technical Diving is all about, including rebreathers. He will also be available to work with divers who would like to obtain their Advanced Open Water certifications. Ron is an excellent and capable instructor and will ensure that you enjoy yourself.

Lunch and beverages will be provided (large sub sandwich, please bring $5.00).

After the day's diving, we will head into Austin for an excellent feed at the Boiling Pot. If you’ve never experienced a crab boil, you are in for a treat! Afterwards will find some fun on Austin’s famous 6th street.
Sunday, Oct 28: LCRA Mansfield Dam Park
  • Arrive at 9:00am and setup. Dive Briefing at 9:30am. Begin Diving around 10:00am. Diving will be more of the same, but perhaps a few new twists.

IMPORTANT: In order to assist with planning, I need you to RSVP as soon as you can. Please let me know how many are attending, as well as if you desire any training dives with Ron, and where you’re located so we can assist with ride sharing.

Directions: ( Click here for a map (requires Adobe Acrobat)) Take I-35 toward Austin. In Round Rock, take the 2nd exit to Lake Travis, which is also FM620. Take FM620 for 12-14 miles to Lake Travis/Mansfield Dam. Beyond the dam, turn right to enter the park area. The gate attendant will direct you to the diving parking area.

Miscellaneous details:
  • Bringing two (or even three) tanks is highly recommended due to air fills being off site. Fills are available at Dive Texas (within 4 miles of the site) for $4.00.
  • 5-mils of neoprene is recommended (more if you plan to make deeper dives). Beanies or hoods are good too (check out the 2-mil hooded vest from DiversDirect.com for just $30!). Dive lights are also recommended for the deeper dive.
  • Entry into the park is $5.00 per vehicle per day. So can save some money if you can combine a group into one truck or van.
  • Camping is available at the park for an additional $5.00/night, but the gate is locked at 9:00pm which means you will need to return to the park before then if you leave for dinner.
  • The closest “nice” hotel is the Comfort Inn at Hwy 183. Cost is $80/night for a room with 2 queen beds. Breakfast is included. (I will be staying there if anyone wishes to be my bunkie).
Questions? Send me e-mail with your phone number and I will call you. RSVP to dcas2000@hotmail.com

I would love to go Mike, but here is my Dilema. I have 8 days booked on Sapphire beach in St. Thomas from the 27th-3rd of november. And although you guys are fun to be with....

I have to vote for St. Thomas over Lake Travis.

I detected a note of sarcasm in that thread, did you?

(LOL Syruss32-just joshin' with ya)

The Great Pumpkin is comin' to visit my neck of the woods. How cool!!! In case the Great Pumpkin brings incliment weather, we do have enough floor space to sleep a dozen people or so (we have done it before)

Cat,

e-mail me your contact info so I can add it to my database. We might enlist your assistance for some of the logistic preparation.

Hopefully the weather will be good but you do make a good point to have back up plans ready.

Good news folks.....I spoke with Iguana Don on telephone and he will be diving with us this weekend.

And if you thought his photo in Dive Training was nifty, just wait until you see him in person!!

Hey Mike, just checked today with the wife. We'll be there! Need to get with you to hand off the logo so's we can get a flag and such made. We'll probably be headed out to Athens Satuday afternoon if you'd like to meet up... I'll call you later in the week.

Welcome back Corsair...glad to see you on the board again.

We are counting down the days to Coz... I just ordered my 3mm

Michelle and I will be at Travis... considering we called this trip...We won't be camping though....

Looking forward to and longing for blue water

Tom

Please remember that if you want to attend, I need to hear from you as soon as possible.

Here's the Roll Call so far:
  • TexasMike
    Tom & Michelle Vyles
    CavernQT
    ScubaTexasTony
    Dee & Beast
    BJ & Lynette
    Iguana Don
    Dee's Friends (how many?)
    Inkwell
    Cat Diver
That's about 15 or so. Did I forget anyone?

Mike...some friends can't make it, some won't know till the last minute and others can't decide so just count on Beast and I. IF the others can show up, they can do without prizes!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom