Scuba Diving/Safari Trip to Mozambique (Tofo/Barrazuto/Ponta Do Ouro) - Oct 23

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Londonscubaclub

Registered
Reaction score
Scuba Diving/Safari Trip to Mozambique (Tofo/Barrazuto/Ponta Do Ouro) - Oct 23

Details​

We will depart London on Sat 30 Sep 23. We will fly from London to Maputo in Mozambique. The following morning we will be taken to the world renowned Kruger National Safari Park for a 2 day tour which will involve staying overnight at the park which will be an amazing experience. If you are interested in joining this trip or want further information then email me on londonscubadivinggroup@gmail.com

Once we have finished the Safari we will then be collected from Maputo and taken to the first dive location at Tofo Beach. We will then spend up to 5 days diving in this region which again is a great time to be at Tofo. We are likely to be in time to see the last Humpback Whales migrate and also be in season for some fantastic diving. From Tofo Beach we will then be collected and taken to the Barrazuto Archipelago. Here we will complete up to 3 days diving to see the best dive sites in the area. The diving here is amazing and is less visited than Tofo Beach. After 3 days diving here we will then catch a flight back to Maputo and transfer to the last dive location at Ponta Do Ouro. We will spend up to 3 days diving in Ponta Do Ouro where it will be shark season. We will be able to complete some fantastic shark diving. The type of sharks will include tigers, bull, hammerhead, silvertips, blacktips and Leopard sharks.

Date Activity
Sat 30-Sep-23 Depart 21:00 from London
Sun 1-Oct-23 Arrive 09:00am and stay overnight in Maputo
Mon 2-Oct-23 Collection for Safari from Hotel - Day 1
Tue 3-Oct-23 Day 2 Safari and return to Maputo
Wed 4-Oct-23 Collection from Hotel & Transfer to Tofo
Thu 5-Oct-23 Dive Day 1 Tofo
Fri 6-Oct-23 Dive Day 2 Tofo
Sat 7-Oct-23 Dive Day 3 Tofo
Sun 8-Oct-23 Dive Day 4 Tofo
Mon 9-Oct-23 Dive Day 5 Tofo / Transfer to Vilankulos
Tue 10-Oct-23 Dive Day 1 Barrazuto
Wed 11-Oct-23 Dive Day 2 Barrazuto
Thu 12-Oct-23 Dive Day 3 Barrazuto
Fri 13-Oct-23 Flight to Maputo & Transfer to Ponta do Ouro
Sat 14-Oct-23 Dive Day 1 Ponto Do Ouro
Sun 15-Oct-23 Dive Day 2 Ponto Do Ouro
Mon 16-Oct-23 Dive Day 3 Ponto Do Ouro / Transfer to Maputo
Tue 17 Oct-23 Day sightseeing in Maputo & Rhino Park
Wed 18-Oct-23 Flight to London depart 20:25
Thu 19-Oct-23 Arrive London 06:35am

Accommodation
We have arranged good standard accommodation in all locations.
Package cost is likely to be in the region of £2,000 without flights and kit hire. This is excellent considering we are diving the best 3 locations in Mozambique and also including the 2 day/1 night tour of Kruger National Park.

Flights
London to Maputo - British Airways
Vilanculos to Maputo - £100.00.
Diving

Tofo Beach
Tofo Beach has some amazing diving. Scuba diving off Tofo is a real treat for those who love marine megafauna. The plankton rich waters are known to attract whale sharks, manta rays and also humpback whales. Visibility will be good in October.

Bazaruto Archipelago
There are five main islands making up the Bazaruto Archipelago. Life doesn't get more picture-perfect than on Mozambique's Bazaruto Archipelago. Head beneath the waves and you'll find a National Park full of unspoilt waters and reefs, which offer some of the finest diving in the world.

Ponta Do Ouro
There are over 20 dive sites on the reefs of Ponta do Ouro, Ponta Malongane and Ponta Mamoli, home to an amazing and bio-diverse marine life primarily famed for shark encounters and suitable for experienced divers. Experienced divers will want to head out further to the edge of the continental shelf to sites like Pinnacles where hammerhead, bull and dusky sharks are frequently seen.

Price? I have found but one mention on the linked material of a predicted $2550 USD (£2000) cost for trip not including airfare or SCUBA gear rental.

Is that still accurate?

Hi yes i can confirm that the whole trip is likely to be in the region of £2,000.00 excluding flights. If anyone is interested we would cost up the trip depending on the number of dives you wanted to complete in all three locations. We are already a good group size but we are still accepting more divers. Let me know by email on londonscubadivinggroup@gmail.com

…. If anyone is interested we would cost up the trip depending on the number of dives you wanted to complete in all three locations. We are already a good group size but we are still accepting more divers. Let me know by email on ….

SCUBA Board is for sharing info, so post it here.

From your link:
“”Once we have finished the Safari we will then be collected from Maputo and taken to the first dive location at Tofo Beach. We will then spend up to 5 days diving in this region which again is a great time to be at Tofo. We are likely to be in time to see the last Humpback Whales migrate and also be in season for some fantastic diving. From Tofo Beach we will then be collected and taken to the Barrazuto Archipelago. Here we will complete up to 3 days diving to see the best dive sites in the area. The diving here is amazing and is less visited than Tofo Beach. After 3 days diving here we will then catch a flight back to Maputo and transfer to the last dive location at Ponta Do Ouro. We will spend up to 3 days diving in Ponta Do Ouro where it will be shark season. We will be able to complete some fantastic shark diving. The type of sharks will include tigers, bull, hammerhead, silvertips, blacktips and Leopard sharks.””

….so diving is not included?

Ok, how much to add in 11 “days” of diving? How many dives in a day? Off a panga or a large boat?

Will you accept my 20yo nephew/diver? Single supplement? He’s a BPW diver, so he will want to bring his dive gear. Is that an issue? About 55#, 20x18x34”. To gauge thermal protection to bring, what will the approx water temperature be?

Better to post here for all versus PM’ing and not sharing this information.

Hi,

Thank you for your message. I can certainly provide a estimate of the cost for diving every available dive day. The trip has been planned in way where we have dive days available in all locations and then divers can determine the number of days in each location they want to dive. This allows the diver to have flexibility on cost. The diver is then able to agree the extent of diving in on trip. Happy to provide an estimate of the likely cost based on specific requests. It will be better to email me on londonscubadivinggroup@gmail.com and we can agree the best options going forwards as a result of your interest. A typical dive day will have 2 dives on offer and the usual addon to the day like night dives if required.

7 days with no response to my e-mails.

7 days with no response to my e-mails.

Skip it. Out.
Hi Doc, I did send an email confirming the position to your email address. Could you check your email please and come back to me and I would be more than happy to answer any further questions you may have. I sent it 5 days ago and was waiting for a reply. Let me know. Happy to resend and you will see the date of the original email. Maybe it has gone into your spam.

Thanks

In spam it was!

To share this valuable info with all….

Size and weight (of dive bag) should have no impact on the safari element of the trip but I will check. The internal flight and long haul flight are booked by the individual so you will have complete control over luggage requirements and can simply add additional baggage if required.
With respect to further information on costs please find the following further explanation -

The original rough budget of £2,000.00 was to cover the following -
5 days diving in Tofo
3 days diving in Bazaruto
3 days diving in Ponta Do Ouro

The above is based on 2 dives per day so will be a total of 17 dives available.

…. to add any additional dives on top of the above to have 3 dives a day or a night dive option you need to factor in the following -
Tofo - additional dive without kit in the region of £41.00

Bazaruto - Additional dive in region of £38.50

Ponta Do Ouro - The Shark dives are per day not each and therefore it is possible they maybe be part of a special day trip. The local extra dives are likely to be cheaper and likely to be in the region of £38.50.

It is likely any additional would be best decided at location.

The flights we have booked cost £700.00 London to Maputo Return
The flights we have booked internal flights are £90.00 Return which includes 1x 23kg hold luggage.

Transfer could be in the region of £100 each as we have a few long distance transfers to include. As soon as I have a better indication I will of course confirm straight away.
The boats will be large ribs and currents will vary at location but it is not a strong current location. We will have reef, large pelagics to include sharks across the different locations. Bazaruto is nore reef and potentially humpback whales.

For the diving it starts Thursday 5 October 2023
5 Oct 23 to 9 Oct 23 (5 Days diving Tofo Beach)
10 Oct 23 to 12 Oct 23 (3 days diving Bazaruto)
14 Oct 23 to 16 Oct 23 (3 days diving Ponto Do Ouro)

If you take off the Safari and the accommodation relating to the early days in Maputo then the cost is likely to be in a region of £1,600.00 excluding flights and transfers.

We have one diver who is not doing the safari but still flying with us and after staying over night Maputo with us they are transferring to Tofo and will be in Tofo 2 days before us and then also has the option of additional diving before the main group arrive. Of course if this a better option then I can confirm the cost of this as she is taking an internal flight from Maputo to Tofo. Likely to still be overall cheaper or same as safari costs so still around £2,000.00 overall.

It is standard 2 dives per day but additional dives like night dives will be available as optional. 3 dives could be available but will be decided at location.

I hope this helps as I have tried to help you as much as I can.

If you could do me a favour and confirm on the discussion board that I did respond and have always come back to you to help that would be much appreciated just in case it impacts other divers who might think to the contrary.

Let me know if you need any further information.

Thanks

Mark

Great info from Mark!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom