Lake Travis diver missing - Austin, Texas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aren't there legends of huge catfish at the Mansfield Dam?
Which is why so many monsters wash up dead ashore. Nope.

I've seen huge catfish at some of the resturants/docks, where people feed them. The ones I've seen near the Dam are smaller, but I've only dove there a few times.

Most of the big fish I see while diving in that lake are carp, often around 2.5 or 3ft I think (hard to tell exactly). Probably because they're less skittish than some of the other fish.

I guess I had some locals pulling my leg about those 200 pound man eating ones ..
(and others on SB too I see : Giant Catfish)

We lived a few miles from the dam some years back and would cross over towards Lakeway often. When they found out we were diving the lake they gave us stern warnings to stay away from the dam.

Sad day regardless of the cause, and as you've already said we'll probably never know more.

they gave us stern warnings to stay away from the dam.
There are real dangers close to a dam. Delta P is a risky.

I always found it a little weird that the dive-park is literally on the Dam. I also don't remember seeing any signs warning divers to stay away from the dam or outlets. The prospect of getting sucked into a current/drain/etc freaked me out enough I kept my distance and stayed a long distance away and have no idea what it looks like down there.

I guess I had some locals pulling my leg about those 200 pound man eating ones ..
(and others on SB too I see : Giant Catfish)

We lived a few miles from the dam some years back and would cross over towards Lakeway often. When they found out we were diving the lake they gave us stern warnings to stay away from the dam.

Sad day regardless of the cause, and as you've already said we'll probably never know more.
Or maybe not.

Or maybe not.
That writer would be referring to the European Wels catfish.
"catfish range in size and behavior from the three largest species alive, the Mekong giant catfish from Southeast Asia, the wels catfish of Eurasia, and the piraíba of South America"
Even so, the 3 meter, 200 Kg record is more of a rumor.
"Such lengths are rare and unproven during the last century, but there is a somewhat credible report from the 19th century of a wels catfish of this size."
I still don't think that a 10 ft, 440 lb catfish could be dangerous to a grown man.

In the US: By information from International Game Fish Association IGFA the most outstanding record: The biggest flathead catfish caught was by Ken Paulie in the Elk City Reservoir in Kansas, USA on 19 May 1998 that weighed 55.79 kg (123 lbs. 0 oz.)

We dove Travis a few times and viz was terrible, that was when the lake was low and many years ago.
Sad to hear about a young life cut so short, condolences to the family.
I have heard that at every lake I have dove. Biggest cat I have personally seen is 5 feet long.

DW

That writer would be referring to the European Wels catfish.
"catfish range in size and behavior from the three largest species alive, the Mekong giant catfish from Southeast Asia, the wels catfish of Eurasia, and the piraíba of South America"
Even so, the 3 meter, 200 Kg record is more of a rumor.
"Such lengths are rare and unproven during the last century, but there is a somewhat credible report from the 19th century of a wels catfish of this size."
I still don't think that a 10 ft, 440 lb catfish could be dangerous to a grown man.

In the US: By information from International Game Fish Association IGFA the most outstanding record: The biggest flathead catfish caught was by Ken Paulie in the Elk City Reservoir in Kansas, USA on 19 May 1998 that weighed 55.79 kg (123 lbs. 0 oz.)
I'll try to find a photo of catfish caught in Apatin (then Yugoslavia, now Serbia), 208 kgs in 1958.
Probably won't eat grown human, but drowning is more of a danger, IMO.

There are also large plecostomus in Lake Travis. I have seen them eating the algee off of the stairs at windy point park. Probably originated as a discard from someones aquarium.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom