Teric owners, have you required repair or replacement service?

Teric owners, have you required repair or replacemant service?

• No

Votes: 82 45.3%
  • Yes, repair

Votes: 35 19.3%
  • Yes, replacement

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • Yes, multiple repair and/or replacement

Votes: 38 21.0%
  • Other, see post

Votes: 10 5.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The compass issue is a long standing issue with the teric. My first time, I talked with Richard @ divetronic and he said it was a known issue. received new teric back and still continued to have problems where it would lose calibration almost every other day if not everyday. On land it seemed fine but underwater i would get erroneous readings where north would be east or west or south, etc. a few min later it could be fine then mess up again some time later. The second time (and i won’t name names) but i had a new teric hand delivered to me from shearwater. i was told this one was bench tested for a week+ without issue. Got it here in hawaii and same erroneous issues randomly. A service tech who was in the carribean also said the compass on the teric had issues where he was. I dunno. i’ve pretty much decided it must be all the iron ore in the volcanic rock in hawaii. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I haven’t had the need to calibrate since I stopped using a flat regular type charger and the worst thing that ever gave my the weird readings was leaving my Apple Watch on under the drysuit (probably not an issue in HI) it seem the watch puts out some strong magnetic fields.

Confirmed today that my Teric antenna was the source of the problem - from Dive-Tronix - "We couldn’t see a broken wire, but all of our testing indicated there was a broken wire somewhere within the 20’ or so of coiled copper wire. Can’t say how it happened, though the Terics are a bit more fragile than other Shearwater computers. There really isn’t much of a case/chassis to protect the internal components. But it sounds like you are easy on your yours. Some of our cave and wreck divers bump their Teric into things pretty hard which can damage the antenna."

They replaced the circuit board so hopefully this one will last longer. If it doesn't I may look into swapping for another Shearwater AI computer.

Reactions: Dan
Confirmed today that my Teric antenna was the source of the problem - from Dive-Tronix - "We couldn’t see a broken wire, but all of our testing indicated there was a broken wire somewhere within the 20’ or so of coiled copper wire. Can’t say how it happened, though the Terics are a bit more fragile than other Shearwater computers. There really isn’t much of a case/chassis to protect the internal components. But it sounds like you are easy on your yours. Some of our cave and wreck divers bump their Teric into things pretty hard which can damage the antenna."

They replaced the circuit board so hopefully this one will last longer. If it doesn't I may look into swapping for another Shearwater AI computer.
So, did you vote in this thread?

I've had my 5th Teric since the beginning of the year. I took it on its 5th dive trip in July and did 21 dives over 8 days. Upon return, the battery consumption has increased from a fraction of a %/day to 2.4%/day over the last 27 days. This is excessive Teric owners, have you required repair or replacement service?

My wife and I have a 2 week trip to Bonaire starting next week, and plan to do 40 some dives. I communicated with Dive-Tronix, just as a heads up to the increased battery consumption. As you would imagine, they offered to send me a loaner for the trip. I declined as I am already diving a second AI computer and can charge the Teric as needed during the trip.

We'll see what the battery looks like when I return home in Sept.
So, my wife and I went to Bonaire and I did 38 dives over 13 days. Upon return, I charged my Teric and have tracked the battery since.

It decreased from 100% to 92% in the first two days. It decreased to 48% at 2 weeks, 3.7%/day. It has slowed down a bit and is now at 28% at day 26, 2.8%/day. According to Shearwater, the 8% battery loss in the first 2 days is within specifications, as is the subsequent decrease. I'm not at all sure how this is reconciled with the guidance given in the owner's manual (see link in quoted post).

Regardless, I've had this Teric for a little less than 9 months and have plenty of time left in my 2-year warranty. I will simply charge it as necessary when diving and follow the battery. I doubt the battery performance will improve, I'm pretty sure it will further deteriorate. My vote in the poll can't change, I've been multiple repair and/or replacement since I started the thread in early 2020.

My Journeys Edition Teric failed on the first dive I used it on yesterday, the screen went dead. I’m sending it to the APAC service centre in New Zealand for repair / replacement.

Hi @dsvs

Was the screen initially working normally and then went dead during the dive? Did it go out gradually or suddenly?

My screen failure was gradual, starting with a single line down the screen. Others have reported sudden loss.

Absolutely no warning, everything seemed fine pre dive and during the early part of the dive. I looked at the Teric about 30 minutes in and the screen was blank. I did still get some alerts so it would appear that it was functioning to some extent. The display came back on around the safety stop but was flickering irregularly and eventually just showed some multicoloured horizontal lines near the bottom of the screen. It then went off completely. While the display was on oddly it showed a warning that I was in my gas reserve, but also that comma with the transmitter had been lost.

Have to say I was glad I had my SPG and backup computer!

My Teric has been good since the last (3rd) battery fix.

I dived with it in Aruba in July and again in Fiji in August and it has held its charge well.

I did not recharge it after my last day of diving (3 dives) in Fiji and, 28 days later, it’s still at 62%.
Update - 3rd battery change seems to have solved the issue: it’s been 72 days since my last dives in Fiji and Teric is at 46%.

Will see how it holds up after my next trip to Raja Ampat in late December, but so far it looks good.

D566AA18-6C15-42C8-A89D-B6000423B620.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom