Tech Diving Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waterboy82

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
If i am getting into tech diving. Can anyone suggest a good line of regs. The ones in question are the Oceanic Delta and a Cdx international 1st stage. The Sea elite Tec x and the Atomic t1x. I heard that the Tlx can only be used to 50% Ean because of the titanium if thats true then it probalbly wouldnt be a good choice??? Please help?

The primary reg of choice for Tek is the Apeks DS4 and a Tx series second stage...some use Scuabapro some Dive Rite etc...most high end regs are quite capable with hose routing being the banter for one's choice.
Yarg

The apeks ds4 is an amazing reg my buddies love theres and got a chance to dive one a few weeks back. The aqualung legend is my choice. I dive to 130+ ffw and 42 deg water and have no problems with mine.

I dive with DiveRite RG2500, I've used them on many sub 200ft dives in 40 deg. water and they work great. One other reason I like them is that there are easy to work on and part a readily available.

Here are solid choices:

Scubapro
Apeks
Diverite
US Divers (Supreme)
Posideon (Non DIR)

I own Diverite, Scubapro, and US Divers. They are all excellent. The titanium is overpriced and not necessary. Spend the extra dough on doubles and stages. Most tech divers will stick with the same make of regulators so that they can interchange and re-configure gear if needed. Example.............Scubapro Mark 25 with all G250 2nd stages. Pick a manufacturer that has good warranty and service. My Diverite has lifetime warranty and free service from the shop I bought it from. Scubapro and Apeks also have excellent waranty and service availability.

JMO

I use the Aqualung Legend. Great reg and relatively inexpensive compared to some of the other stuff out there! As for titanium - stay away from it. Some even say using any enriched air can be hazardous. Reports conflict, but it's definitely not a tech material. I just read a review of regs in Scuba Diving mag. It was not their usual review. It might give you some useful information.

A good reg from a reputable company will do the job.

Personally, I like Scubapro based on 20 plus years of diving with them, and from a regulator technician perspective, I like they way they are designed and the general ease of service.

My preferred back gas first stage is the Mk 17 due to excellent performance, it's well executed sealed design and the clean hose routing possible when used on doubles. It is also in my opinion the most bullet proof cold water first stages around at this point.

For deco purposes a simple unbalanced piston design like the Scubapro Mk 2 is hard to beat. It is by design perfect for high O2 applications as no part of the reg past the HP orifice is exposed to more than intermediate pressure and there is very little upstream of the HP orifice. The design also provides ample warning of low tank pressures and when paired with an adjustable second stage like the G250, offers excellent breathing performance.

The G250 is hard to beat for a second stage in any application as it is a well proven and excellent performing regulator.

With SP you can also order any first stage with any second stage through your local dealer to enabel you to customize the reg to yur specific needs. You lose a few percent on the package discount but you don't get forced into buying more first or second stage than you need in a specific application.

I agree with the sentiment that interchangeability is important. I go one step farther and set up all of my first stages with the same IP so that any second stage can be quickly attached to any first stage with no need for adjustment.

I have two Apeks Black Pearls (ATX200 in disguise) and an ATX50/DST. The only reason I got the BPs is because they were less expensive (due to a deal I couldn't pass up) than the ATX50/DS4s.

Waterboy82:
If i am getting into tech diving. Can anyone suggest a good line of regs. The ones in question are the Oceanic Delta and a Cdx international 1st stage. The Sea elite Tec x and the Atomic t1x. I heard that the Tlx can only be used to 50% Ean because of the titanium if thats true then it probalbly wouldnt be a good choice??? Please help?

For Primaries
Aqualung Legend LX Supreme (din)
Apeks ATX100
Apeks DS4-TX50

For Deco
Aqualung Titan LX
Apeks ATX50 with swivel head
Apexk TX40 with DS4

For Oxygen

Apeks TX40/DS4
Aqualung Calyspo Oxygen

You will be hard pressed to find more robust and better performing regulators.

Regards,

Back
Top Bottom