Buying 3 sets of regulators - Dive Rite XT1/XT4 or Atomic B2 / B2 Octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

undefined

Quite Refined
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I plan to buy new regulators for the whole family by the end of the week. I've never tested high end regulators - I've only ever dove with whatever halfway working rental gear was available or my Oceanic Delta 4. The Oceanic 1st stages (mine and my wife's) are having issues and about to go out for repair, so it seems like a good time to upgrade. Buying 3 sets (wife, son, and me).

We dive warm water only. Recreational depths only. I consider 70F to be cold.

Narrowed it down to Atomic B2 (with B2 octo) or Dive Rite XT1/XT4. Was about to place order for B2's when the shop owner brought up the XT4s.

If money wasn't a factor in deciding between these two choices, which would you buy and why?

I love my Dive Rite regs (XT1/XT2). They can take a beating and don’t cost an arm and leg for service. I use mine for sidemount as well as for my CCR bailout. I’ve had them back in caves, as well as cold Great Lakes wreck dives (42F).

If money isn't an object, Atomic's engineering, milling, fit and finish far exceed Dive Rite. DR makes good regs, but the longevity based on HP Seat wear, chrome thickness, and precision of fit favors Atomic Aquatics hands down.

Second stage quality is much better, and the seat saving orifice gives you much longer stability of the tune.

First stage is unsealed, so you need to be good about post dive first stage soaks and flushes. That's the ONLY area where DR holds an advantage over Atomic, and you can seal the Atomic, too! But techs don't like to do it because it's messier than a diaphragm that's sealed by design.

ALL my Atomics are sealed.

AA offers the sealed version as a factory option on the B2.

I don't know if I'd go the B2 octo as all that get you is a swivel connector. The Ti 2 Octo is the same second with a straight hose. Or heck for that matter a Z2 would get you there for an octo.

I bought 14 sets of Atomic B2s to replace all of my recreational, Sidemount, backmount doubles regs from Scuba Pro. Titanium 2nd stages are awesome. Service intervals are engineered to exceed industry standards thru designs and materials.

I have had any experience with Dive Rite regs, so I honestly cannot compare the two sets. But I personally love my Atomics.

^--- What @OMyMyOHellYes said!

If you dive primary donate, as PADI will eventually concede is better, then a reg with a 90° connector and without a comfort swivel is better for your primary hose.
And since we've learned that the Omni-Swivel HRK hose repair kit fits the fat Atomic hose, you can cut 6-8" off your Comfort Swivel hose and have a perfect necklace for your aux.

Win-win!

The Dive Rite XT4 looks cooler, breathes better and is cheaper to buy and cheaper to overhaul.

If money isn't an object, Atomic's engineering, milling, fit and finish far exceed Dive Rite. DR makes good regs, but the longevity based on HP Seat wear, chrome thickness, and precision of fit favors Atomic Aquatics hands down.

Second stage quality is much better, and the seat saving orifice gives you much longer stability of the tune.

First stage is unsealed, so you need to be good about post dive first stage soaks and flushes. That's the ONLY area where DR holds an advantage over Atomic, and you can seal the Atomic, too! But techs don't like to do it because it's messier than a diaphragm that's sealed by design.

ALL my Atomics are sealed.

Lol, Huish Customer service, cost of parts and overhaul, WoB? DR beats Atomic on all of these.

The Dive Rite XT4 looks cooler, breathes better and is cheaper to buy and cheaper to overhaul.
Looks, schmooks.
Breathes better? Show me.
Cheaper to buy - true dat!
Cheaper to overhaul - also correct.
EDIT: Better DR customer service - currently also correct.

Long term total cost? Open to argument if you have to buy a second reg set at the 10 year mark. But who keeps regs that long except SB'ers?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom