Buying 3 sets of regulators - Dive Rite XT1/XT4 or Atomic B2 / B2 Octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe I should add some context...

From what I gather, both options are better than my old Delta 4 (which is not working right now because the TDX 5 is putting out way too much IP). If this is not correct, and either is imperceptibly different from a Delta 4, please say so.

I've never used a high end regulator. Never had an Atomic or higher end Scubapro or whatnot. I've used Sherwood Brut, and Cressi, and low end Marrs, and Aeris, and other low cost rental regs.

I equate this to another passion of mine - marksmanship. If you've never used high quality optics, you don't even know what you are missing.

My wife is frustrated at the 1st stage problems with our old Oceanics and the LDS inability to fix them. I'm frustrated that we're using rental gear and we have to try out 2 or 3 regs before finding one that doesn't freeflow or have a broken purge or other major malfunction. My son is just happy to dive - he'd breath through a straw just to be in the water.

If the Atomics are as good as people say, I'm up for paying the premium. The Dive Rite package seems like a very good deal, but I don't want to save money on essential gear just to save money. This is scuba, I'm used to lighting piles of $100 bills on fire in the name of breathing underwater.

I don't really have a dog in the fight when it comes to piston vs diaphragm or sealed vs non-sealed. I just want to buy gear that works well, breathes easy, and doesn't give us any fuss (with annual or bi annual service) for a decade at least.

If the Atomics are as good as people say, I'm up for paying the premium. The Dive Rite package seems like a very good deal, but I don't want to save money on essential gear just to save money. This is scuba, I'm used to lighting piles of $100 bills on fire in the name of breathing underwater.

I don't really have a dog in the fight when it comes to piston vs diaphragm or sealed vs non-sealed. I just want to buy gear that works well, breathes easy, and doesn't give us any fuss (with annual or bi annual service) for a decade at least.
You will probably be happy with the Atomics.

But a MK11 and a C370 .... :stirpot:

Maybe I should add some context...

From what I gather, both options are better than my old Delta 4 (which is not working right now because the TDX 5 is putting out way too much IP). If this is not correct, and either is imperceptibly different from a Delta 4, please say so.

I've never used a high end regulator. Never had an Atomic or higher end Scubapro or whatnot. I've used Sherwood Brut, and Cressi, and low end Marrs, and Aeris, and other low cost rental regs.

I equate this to another passion of mine - marksmanship. If you've never used high quality optics, you don't even know what you are missing.

My wife is frustrated at the 1st stage problems with our old Oceanics and the LDS inability to fix them. I'm frustrated that we're using rental gear and we have to try out 2 or 3 regs before finding one that doesn't freeflow or have a broken purge or other major malfunction. My son is just happy to dive - he'd breath through a straw just to be in the water.

Choices:

1. B2 with sealed first stage

2. Z2 with sealed first stage (no rotating turret on the Z2)

My B2 is the oldest AA regulator I own, I bought it circa 1997/98 as a B1. It was upgraded to a B2 and works like a dream. It was my primary regulator for around 15 years until I got my ST1. My primary regulator now for recreational diving is an ST1 with the B2 as my back up (never needed it since AA have been the most reliable for me). I switch regulators, between the ST1 and B2, when I am doing multiple dives in a day so I get to use both.

I prefer AA regulators over MK19/MK25/G260 or the MK11/C370 (I own all of these).

Regardless of the ones that you get, if you take care of them, they will last 20+ years with occasional service. That has been the case with my 4 sets of ScubaPro. Atomic have the same reputation. It all depends on how long you think you will continue to dive. The cost difference between the cheapest and most expensive, over 20 years, is not that much.

What's so good about s MK11 and C370?
I was just stirring the pot. Your question was "A" or "B". Not what's recommended.

But since you asked - Cost (half). Size. Ease of service (myself). Availability of parts (to me). Larger service network if needed (but I just carry a third reg set with me so if primary goes, I swap out at next planned surface interval and fix when I get home). Diaphragm vs having to deal with expensive glop and gloppy rebuild process on the sealed Atomics. Equivalent quality and performance.

Full disclosure - I've been hoarding Apeks XL4 seconds lately and dabbling in the SP G260s.

I have complete Atomic B2 and ST1s that have quietly sat on the shelf in the garage for the last two years. Not because they're bad, but I don't feel that they're necessarily "better". Particularly in light of the earlier mentioned factors for me.

You said you didn't mind the cost, and if you've got a local service/support shop you know, like, and trust, as I said, I've no doubt you'll be happy with the Atomics. Pull out the plastic and make your LDS guy's day, cross it off the list, and pack for your next dive trip. You've been at it long enough to know what you want and what you're comfortable paying.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom