Tech Diving for Seniors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ABay Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I’m turning 69 in September and in pretty good health. No high blood pressure or heart issues. Started diving in my mid-teens 50 years ago but gave it up in late 20’s for career, family etc. Got back into it 4 years ago and got advanced, deep, wreck and Nitrox certified and am thinking about tech. Have read a lot about decompression theory but know nothing about getting tech certified. Im a little overweight and my leg strength isn’t great but for almost 69 not too bad. How physically demanding is tech training? I strain a little to get up a dive boat ladder with a steel 100 on my back. I question if i could do it unassisted with doubles on my back and deco bottles to boot. Should i just stick to recreational? Thanks for any insight.

I went with a rebreather for precisely this reason... that and it's far quieter. I'm interested in it as far as cave diving is concerned. I feel no need to go deep or long.

I went with a rebreather for precisely this reason... that and it's far quieter. I'm interested in it as far as cave diving is concerned. I feel no need to go deep or long.
Do you have to be tech certified to get rebreather certified?

Me too. I found midway through doubles training that I couldn't stand from one long session with a rough beach exit where I was on all fours. I didn't have the strength after the long dive to stand with one thigh from that low with my doubles on my back. So I switched to sidemount, so that I could prop one bottle if I were ever in the same situation.
But like Pete, I then switched to a rebreather (JJ-CCR). I can manage that with a bailout bottle and one stage just fine. And the diving is great! And the Choptima is even lighter.

Of course not. But you don't get much more technical than a rebreather. :D

You should do AN-DP at least. After that, there's lots of arguments about handling stages, but until you hit MOD2, you won't miss more extensive doubles training.

You should do AN-DP at least. After that, there's lots of arguments about handling stages, but until you hit MOD2, you won't miss more extensive doubles training.
AN-DP, MOD2? Can you point me to a resource for this lingo?

AN = Advanced Nitrox. DP= Decompression Procedures. These are separate courses from the TDI agency, but are typically taught together as the basic tech diver training on open circuit. MOD 1 is the first level rebreather, MOD 2 is the next level rebreather training.

AN = Advanced Nitrox. DP= Decompression Procedures. These are separate courses from the TDI agency, but are typically taught together as the basic tech diver training on open circuit. MOD 1 is the first level rebreather, MOD 2 is the next level rebreather training.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom