Best Shore Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was here for 1 week by myself before my dive buddy showed up for another 3 weeks. So I did boat dives with Sun Set and Dive Tech. This is a great Island because they can pretty well take you to smooth water on the calm side of the Island. We have had a lot of wind but they always have places to go. Yesterday we went to Cobalt at Dive Tech and rented 2 water scooters for 2 dives. It was flat calm but they were taking the ladder off and the dock off in the afternoon to get ready for this next system. They want 20 to 30 winds with gust to 50 for the next several days. My buddy and I did the deep wall with the water scooters for our first dive. Seen 2 really friendly turtles, sting ray, which we did sting ray city the day before, so we pretty well had our encounters with the sting rays! And we did the shallow reef on our second scooter dive. Another turtle, barracudas, a lot of lionfish and a lot of other fish. 2 really great dives. I have water scooters with my snorkel business in Aruba so we are really familiar with them. But that was a high light of the trip for me. After this storm passes, we will still have another 10 days so we hope to do more shore dives. But I am use to Aruba and Bonaire so this is a really expensive Island. But its really nice. Aruba Bob

Sorry I'm late getting back. The shallow dive at Seaharvest (Sunset House ) IMO is very much dived out. Not too much life left there.

The deep wall dive there is very gradual compared to many other sheer walls on GC and again is just OK. I only dive these sites when Macabuca, Lighthouse and Cobalt are all blown out as a bit more sheltered and there is a salt water pool making entry forgiving.

A guy from the dive shop said Pedro reef is great but we went and looked and its really really rugged getting in there for a shore dive.

Not sure if anyone heard but Grand Caymans had terrible winds Monday with gust up to 50 mph. It closed the main road in Georgetown as ocean water came over the road. All the places to eat on the water are pretty well lost. They will have alot of cleaning and fixing up. Cobalt Dive Tech was ok but the Lighthouse Dive Tech really got beat up and will have alot of clean up. We are still here for 8 more days so hopefully we can find some smooth water to dive.

Not sure if anyone heard but Grand Caymans had terrible winds Monday with gust up to 50 mph. It closed the main road in Georgetown as ocean water came over the road. All the places to eat on the water are pretty well lost. They will have alot of cleaning and fixing up. Cobalt Dive Tech was ok but the Lighthouse Dive Tech really got beat up and will have alot of clean up. We are still here for 8 more days so hopefully we can find some smooth water to dive.
I started a thread about it. Turtle Reef/Macabuca is out right now, too, due to damage.

The forecast is that it continues to calm down and the wind is changing to the north-east and east, which should make conditions decent. Then it's about finding which shore dive site actually has tanks and a functioning ladder :)

Not sure about either of Divetech's shore diving options nor Sunset House, but Sergio with Don Fosters, Mario with Eden Rock and Nat with Indepth over at TR/ Macabuca all plan on having shore diving available on Saturday.
The silver lining to all of this is the fact that an awful lot of badly needed sand was replenished on 7Mile Bch.

This week's wave action looked frightening. I'll be diving there next Wednesday, so hopefully things will have calmed down some. Goodness.

Things are looking a lot calmer on Northwest Point this morning - it's still a bit sporty for diving, but the forecast is for calming winds and them moving to come from the East, so it's encouraging.

I, too, was happy to hear that Nat at Indepth Watersports is reopening at Turtle Reef/Macabuca on Saturday, even if it is out of a storage container and a tent :)

Not sure about either of Divetech's shore diving options nor Sunset House, but Sergio with Don Fosters, Mario with Eden Rock and Nat with Indepth over at TR/ Macabuca all plan on having shore diving available on Saturday.
The silver lining to all of this is the fact that an awful lot of badly needed sand was replenished on 7Mile Bch.
Great news. I was shocked at the beach loss at the Marriot and northwards last October.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom