TDI or GUE or UTD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am in the process of finishing up UTD tech1 and my experience has been that UTD seems to be so close to GUE in quality of training and selection of instructors that cost and availability of instructors are valid reasons to pick the one over the other. I happen to have a very good UTD instructor living 20 miles away. That makes it a no brainer for me. One of the differences between GUE and UTD is that GUE requires you to have taken fundies through them before taking any other class regardless of your skillset or experience level. A UTD instructor on the other hand has the leeway to go on a checkout dive, assess your skillset, and place you in the appropriate class.
I guess if you know for sure that you want to take cave classes through GUE you might as well start training with them now.

I am in the process of finishing up UTD tech1 and my experience has been that UTD seems to be so close to GUE in quality of training and selection of instructors that cost and availability of instructors are valid reasons to pick the one over the other. I happen to have a very good UTD instructor living 20 miles away. That makes it a no brainer for me. One of the differences between GUE and UTD is that GUE requires you to have taken fundies through them before taking any other class regardless of your skillset or experience level. A UTD instructor on the other hand has the leeway to go on a checkout dive, assess your skillset, and place you in the appropriate class.
I guess if you know for sure that you want to take cave classes through GUE you might as well start training with them now.

Yeah, flying in an instructor with hotel, food and acillary expenses bumps the total cost sky high. Unfortunately my Dec 17-20 will not involve Christmas parties but GUE-F in High Springs, FL. Arrgghh!

Probaly. I had little doubles experience until recently, as such, thought it be best to redo TDI's adv/deco ciriculum (diving doubles) as I completed original course in 2000 with single H-valve cylinder and never really dived outside rec limits due to buddies doing the same. My thinking with IANTD is I have yet to organize a GUE Tech 1 class (need buddy) and have an immediate need for trimix usage with new diving pals and their much deeper hunting profiles while ocean diving here in S Florida. In addition, I wanted to gaurd against deviating from any single agency's protocols as I have many, many friends who are great tec divers but not GUE and I wish to dive with them without driving them nuts. Lastly, as I am a Florida native and have been in and around diving since 1983 I know alot of instructors, several of which have been willing to mitigate the expense factor quite a bit (not GUE for the record [never asked]).

Got you, thanks

yeah I was thinking the same way. I was checking the GUE docs today and found a paragraph

1.9 Recognition of Credentials
Accomplished divers from other agencies who wish to be qualified as GUE divers may petition GUE HQ to
have their training and experience recognized, and a suitable level of GUE qualification issued. Upon
receipt of such a request, GUE HQ will arrange for an in-water evaluation of the petitioning diver by a
GUE instructor trainer. If, upon evaluation, the GUE IT considers that the petitioning diver’s request
should be honored, s/he should recommend to GUE HQ, in writing, that it issues an appropriate level of
GUE qualification. Upon receipt of this recommendation, GUE HQ will consider awarding the petitioning
diver a suitable level of GUE qualification.

so i looks like it's possible to do the procedure.

so i looks like it's possible to do the procedure.

...being the operative word. Without hard facts, I imagine this is hardly the rule, and I don't know if it's ever been done before. If so, it sounds more like a mechanism to bring a reputable instructor through a crossover than to give Fundies certification to OW divers.

...being the operative word. Without hard facts, I imagine this is hardly the rule, and I don't know if it's ever been done before. If so, it sounds more like a mechanism to bring a reputable instructor through a crossover than to give Fundies certification to OW divers.

Yeah I was thinking the same. They might require you to pay so much that it would be easier to do the fundamentals from the start

That's for sure. I beleive your last name would have to include Chatterton, Kohler, Mount or L Green to gain the exception...Lol

Just one other thing to throw out there when considering the agency would be to look at the gases that are recommended at various depths. I had one instructor who teaches Adv. Nitrox/Deco and is a firm believer in GUE/UTD philosophy answer my question on diving deep with EAN. He told me that TDI does not mandate what gas the instructor dives for the class, only the student. This is only to say that some people will pay the extra expense for the helium to have a clearer head. GUE/UTD have their appropriate tri-mix mixes on all dives deeper than 100' where Adv. Nitrox/ Deco is EAN to 150'.

P.S. Don't count on 1.9....

Back
Top Bottom