TDI or GUE or UTD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know it isn't what you wanted to hear, but it's still to a bit the instructor.

My experience has been that GUE instructors have the highest expectations and are the most critical of details. There are times when I'm of two minds whether that's optimal.

I like the UTD divisions of training, breaking things up into smaller, more manageable chunks. I also think Andrew has a great, inclusive vision, and wants to keep the agency focused on the fact that people do this for FUN -- even while they are training divers to a high level of skill. I think the cave branch of the agency needs some work, and if cave is what you are primarily interested in, I think GUE has it hands down.

I think there are some TDI instructors who are probably world-class -- I'd take a class from Steve Lewis in a heartbeat. But my TDI Cave class simply wasn't in the same league as either the GUE classes I've taken, or the NACD class I just finished.

Sorry for the hijack but I'm a little confused by your post.

If your interested in caves & "GUE gas it hands down," why have you done an NACD course?

Sorry; I was referring to a comparison between GUE and UTD. I think there are cave instructors out there with other agencies who are teaching to very high standards -- the problem is that you have to KNOW the person, you can't just reach into the agency's roster at random and be assured of what you will get. I do believe that you will have a very high quality class with any of the GUE instructors, although some may be more fun to work with than others.

I did the NACD class for two reasons -- One, I took GUE Cave 2 in August and didn't pass it, and realized I just wasn't ready to do stage/deco dives in caves. So Full Cave, which doesn't include those things, was a smaller step up. Two, I knew the instructor very well and knew he wouldn't cut me any slack.

read more c-cards that you must pay for.

Note that it's not necessarily more expensive that way.

It may be, but the path I'm taking (utd overhead -> wreck 1 + cave 1, probably) seems like it may end up costing me less than the alternatives (not why I opted for it, however).

The fact that all other agencies are gravitaing towards DIR and the GUE philosophy should speak volumes. That said, having an instructor close by also weighs heavlily in the decsion. With a GUE tech 2 instructor 3 miles from my house my decision was a rather quick one.

The fact that all other agencies are gravitaing towards DIR and the GUE philosophy should speak volumes. That said, having an instructor close by also weighs heavlily in the decsion. With a GUE tech 2 instructor 3 miles from my house my decision was a rather quick one.

Let me rephrase a bit. The fact that all other training agencies are gravitaing more towards DIR and the GUE's philosophy every year should speak volumes. I am not a GUE lemming as I recently completed (recertified) TDI's advanced nitrox/deco procedures and will be doing trimix with a IANTD instructor next month before having a go with GUE Tech 1 sometime in the spring. You don't have to agree with me...that's why it's called a discussion board....

Last edited:
Valhalla what is the reason you are doing all the courses with with TDI and then IANTD if you are planning to do Tech 1 ? Is not that going to be redundant ?

Valhalla what is the reason you are doing all the courses with with TDI and then IANTD if you are planning to do Tech 1 ? Is not that going to be redundant ?

Probaly. I had little doubles experience until recently. As such, I thought it be best to redo TDI's adv/deco ciriculum (diving doubles) as I completed original course in 2000 with single H-valve cylinder and never really dived outside rec limits afterwards. My thinking with IANTD is I have yet to organize a GUE Tech 1 class (need buddy) and have an immediate need for trimix usage with new diving pals and their much deeper profiles on hunting dives offshore in S Florida. In addition, I thought it best to be dual certified and qualified with both agencies as I will be diving with oustanding tec divers from both worlds. Lastly, as I am a Florida native and have been in and around diving since 1983 I know alot of instructors, several of which who been willing to mitigate the expense factor quite a bit (I assume GUE's rates are firm).

Last edited:
read more c-cards that you must pay for. I am getting concerned about the UTD emails I have been getting lately as they are strangely reminiscent of the PADI "announcements" I get with alarming frequency. Sorry but UTD seems to be all about the money lately.

Not necessarily. It definitely depends on how far away your instructor is, and whether you feel you can pass a monster 5-7 day class the first shot.

Surprisingly, the UTD 3-day classes cost less each in general than say a GUE 5-7 day class (surprise)

For me, AG is relatively close.

The class fees for Trimix 1/2 added up to basically the same as I would have paid GUE for Tech2 (same level of training)

with UTD, therefore, I had to pay
1) Instructors travel costs twice ($300 extra)
2) One extra boat day (we did 6 days training, with 1 more day on a boat than I would have probably expected from a GUE class) - $250 ish more (we used a small private boat)

Of course, in this case my instructor traveled to us. Had I had to fly, then I would have needed 2 flights.

So to my way of thinking

1) Cost is NOT the biggest factor by a long way
2) The costs are roughly similar
3) with UTD, I believe (if youthink you are up to it) you CAN (maybe at instructors discretion) combine say T1/T2 and Trimix1/Trimix2 (although for many, a chance to get experience at an intermediate level may be beneficial -- it was for me)

So I dont see this as the principal issue honestly.

I have had excellent results with both my GUE and UTD training

Back
Top Bottom